Dizziness / tinnitus and CI

Vivie

Reaction score
Few minutes ago I got really dizzy , I felt like I was going to faint..happened that a couple of other times , but I thought it is due to the heat ..but it isn't..as soon as I popped coil off felt perfectly fine , except for that loud tinnitus...

What's going on?

Few minutes ago I got really dizzy , I felt like I was going to faint..happened that a couple of other times , but I thought it is due to the heat ..but it isn't..as soon as I popped coil off felt perfectly fine , except for that loud tinnitus...

What's going on?

Is this the first and only time it's happened?

It could be the map, post operation issues or nothing, just your ear getting used to the CI. If you continue to be concerned about it I would go back to your audiologist/surgeon and allow them to narrow it down. They have your medical history and are trained to deal with post operative or mapping problems. We CI users are only experts on ourselves!

Hope it doesn't happen again! Keep us posted.

I get vertigo from time to time, but that's usually because I had fluid in my inner ear. Usually goes away the next day. Not fun, though, I tell you!

What's going on?

You might need a new map. Some sounds can make you dizzy if you're not used to the sounds.

Lucia's words made me stop and think...it happens usually when I am near a fan or an particularly loud AC...but it also happened while I was walking at the pavement..telling myself to walk straight and not start acting like drunk...:lol:

Unfortunately it's not the first time , but the first really serious one , and got scared...but it's a too hot a day to go to the audie today , will try on monday..

The possibility of fluid? Eh scares me as I am not allowed to let water trickle into my ear..I'm supposed to close it up when showering..meh..:roll:

Try bend down far as possible and see if your tinnitus get louder or get dizzy then its more likely fluids, I had worst case of buzzing tinnitus and short dizzy spell if I bend down or lean my head for about a month and half but after that its all gone.
And ask someone to say shhh, or listen to extremely high pitched sound, or listen to music with someone and whenever you feel dizzy or sort of "shock" or short pain point it out by asking someone what just happened then tell audiologist to adjust or have audiologist turn off number 1-3 electrodes off and see if that helped. I had first 2 of each ends of electrodes turned off because it was overwhelming and made me dizzy or get vibration instead of sounds and after 3 weeks I got it turned back on, everything's fine except electrode number 8 is turned off because it sound TERRIBLE for me and right now I need get wherever frequency for shhh turned down a bit, if man with deep voice said shhh it hurt my ear. It takes time till you get perfect map.
:)

Vivie,

Could be many things causing your dizzyness. Loud noises/vibration may contribute to setting off the vertigo. Since you were implanted recently, you may be adjusting to the changes and recovering still. The swelling or reduced swellingi may be playing fun and games with the vestibular tubes which control your balance.

Recommendation. Start keeping track of the position your head is in and noise when you get dizzy or the movement just prior to getting dizzy (positional vertigo). Also keep track of what you eat especially high salt/sodium and if you consume caffeine shortly before feeling bad. Could your body be retaining fluid which can also contribute to dizzyness. Hopefully this is a side effect of your recent surgery. Anything is possible.

If the vertigo continues, get checked out by a neurotologist. You may want to check out Menieres.org web site for info. There is a tremendous amount of information regarding vertigo/dizzyness and causes/symptoms. Don't think you will ever have it as bad as some on that site but finding out what are factors that contribute to dizzyness can help one control/influence it. Also, state of mind plays a large part.

Good luck. PM me if you need more information. Keep in mind that I don't frequent this board very much but will check back from time to time.

Steve

Hello Steve...

I get dizzy even when I'm sitting , standing , or squatting...or even taking a cool shower , so we can at least block heat as the cause of dizziness..
Sometimes I can't walk even straight , and I have gotten strange stares like why I'm drunk at 9 am..when I don't even drink , not socially even..:giggle:

a close friend suggested that might be my low blood pressure , I always have had low pressure , it's handed down through my mother's family..will check it..although I also think that surgery played its part..

will go to the doctor and see what he says...

I do have a light intake of salt , and I have noticed that fans and AC's give me dizziness too..unfortunately fan's been on night and day ( I don't own an AC ) as the temperature is rising here...

my head isn't very swelled , only in the place of the stitches is a bit swelling..more especially towards where you can feel the implant.

I've tried most anyone would think before I decided to stop wearing my processor for a while..that helped me only slightly..I tend to be at the edges of fainting when I'm wearing it..

Skullchick unfortunately I can't test the sh sounds as I live alone and rather far from my family :(

Tried the other suggestions and I got dizzy a couple of times..will check with the doctor on monday..and I also will go somewhere were I can get my blood pressure checked.

and I will have a check up at my map too..

it also might be from psych pressure too..I have a lot in my mind...or all of above are contributing..

can't wait for monday to tell doctor and see what are his opinions are...

ps I don't drink any caffeinated products , not even coffee..only a milk chocolate and that is only in winter..so , no caff addict..

Back