Dissertation help

Uni SJ

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I'm on here looking for some help i'm in 4th year at university and my dissertation topic is focussed on communication with deaf and hearing people but i'm really low on numbers, I was wondering if anyone here could help me?
If anyone is interested please let me know and i can email you the questionnaire? Its very short only takes about 10 minutes!
I'd be very appreciative!!
Thanks,
SJ

Just post it here. Whoever wants to will answer and you can collect it all at once.

is there any way to attach stuff like that onto comments? as i have no online version of my survey

is there any way to attach stuff like that onto comments? as i have no online version of my survey

I don't know what that means. Just type in out and we can then add answers after each question.

You will get more response if we can just quote it and put the answer beneath each quetion.

It might be a bit long for that its a few pages long but i'll see if i can do that, thank you so much!!

ok this is the survey it is quite long for a forum but please do your best with it! thank you so much!!

Communication and Interaction between deaf and hearing communities

Sex: Male/Female
Have you been Deaf since birth? YES/NO
If no could you please state the circumstances?
Are you a member of any deaf clubs?
Do you use Sign Language? YES/NO
Do you Lip read? YES/NO

I will often avoid situations where I think I will not be understood.

Strongly Disagree Disagree Neutral Agree Strongly Agree

I am happy to repeat myself when people genuinely don’t understand what I’m saying.

I get frustrated or annoyed when I am not understood.

I mostly communicate with deaf people or hearing people who can sign.

I often have to write things down to communicate with hearing people who do not sign.

I would prefer to be able to communicate with people without any difficulty at all.

I get frustrated when people treat me differently from hearing people.

It upsets me when people talk directly to an interpreter rather than talking to me.

I would prefer if people would ask if I understand rather than assuming I do.

I do not find that my deafness hinders me, and I am proud to be a member of the deaf community.

I am often ignored by doctors/nurses when interpreters are present.

I find that shop assistants try their best to help me if I am struggling in a shop.

I often find that communication is generally hard with hearing people

I feel more comfortable in situations where I do not require an interpreter to make myself understood.

I am mostly able to make myself understood without too much trouble.

What is your preferred method of communication?

In what ways do you think the deaf community are expected to conform to a hearing world?

Given that more than 10% of the UK population is considered deaf or hard of hearing how do you think mainstream media should cater for this?

Do you think people such as Doctors and other health professionals should be trained to communicate with the deaf community?

In what ways do you think the hearing community should reach out to include the deaf community?

Are there any aspects of the hearing world that you think the deaf community will never be fully included?

In what ways do you think current provisions for the deaf community (such as subtitles) can be improved to make them more effective?

In what ways do you think that the internet has improved communication between deaf and hearing populations?

How frequently do you come into contact with hearing people who don’t sign?

Do you find that most people who are unable to sign make an effort to make themselves understood? Yes/No
If yes in what ways do they do this?

In the last year have you had any negative experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes/No
If yes can you describe what happened?

In the last year have you had any positive experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes/No

I find it less helpful when people can sign but only have a limited knowledge. Yes/No
If so how can you explain this?

Do you find that people are always understanding as why communication may be hard for the deaf community?

Are there certain situations you would avoid going to alone if you knew it would be difficult to be understood? Yes/No
If so what would these circumstances be?

In what circumstance would you prepare for by arranging for a family member to come with you so that communication is easier?

Can you give some examples of situations you find yourself in daily where communication is difficult?

In what ways do you think that communication between deaf and hearing people can be improved?

Can you say that most of your friends are deaf or signing? YES/NO
If no in what ways do you communicate?

ok this is the survey it is quite long for a forum but please do your best with it! thank you so much!!

Sex: Female
Have you been Deaf since birth? YES

Are you a member of any deaf clubs? Yes
Do you use Sign Language? YES
Do you Lip read? YES

Strongly Agree

I am happy to repeat myself when people genuinely don’t understand what I’m saying. Neutral

Strongly Agree

Neutral

I often have to write things down to communicate with hearing people who do not sign.

Strongly Agree

I would prefer to be able to communicate with people without any difficulty at all.

Strongly Agree

Strongly Agree

It upsets me when people talk directly to an interpreter rather than talking to me.

Strongly Agree

Neutral

I do not find that my deafness hinders me, and I am proud to be a member of the deaf community.
Agree

Neutral

I find that shop assistants try their best to help me if I am struggling in a shop.

Disagree

Agree

I feel more comfortable in situations where I do not require an interpreter to make myself understood.

Agree

Disagree

Writing

In what ways do you think the deaf community are expected to conform to a hearing world?

Not sure

Given that more than 10% of the UK population is considered deaf or hard of hearing how do you think mainstream media should cater for this?

Make it accessible with captioning .

Do you think people such as Doctors and other health professionals should be trained to communicate with the deaf community?

I think they should willingly provide interpreters when needed.

In what ways do you think the hearing community should reach out to include the deaf community?

Don't know

Are there any aspects of the hearing world that you think the deaf community will never be fully included?

Mostly everything.

In what ways do you think current provisions for the deaf community (such as subtitles) can be improved to make them more effective?

Make sure everything has them.

In what ways do you think that the internet has improved communication between deaf and hearing populations?

Easy contact with pagers and messengers for everyone.

Almost daily.

Do you find that most people who are unable to sign make an effort to make themselves understood? Yes

Unfortunately, they usually make exaggerated lip motions and start pointing and gesturing.
I carry a notebook and pens.

In the last year have you had any negative experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes

It is a frequent occurence and I just don't want to talk about it.

In the last year have you had any positive experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes/

One grocery checker at my local store makes an effort to understand what I want and even let me know about coupons or if she thinks I have some grocery with a price problem that other people have made a mistake about that day.

I find it less helpful when people can sign but only have a limited knowledge. No
It is nice when they try at all. I am not that great a signer either.

Do you find that people are always understanding as why communication may be hard for the deaf community?
No. I don't think they ever gave it thought.

Are there certain situations you would avoid going to alone if you knew it would be difficult to be understood? Yes

I don't like to go to a restaurant alone. I don't want to go to a gathering alone where I will have problems communicating.
I am usually at home because of this.

In what circumstance would you prepare for by arranging for a family member to come with you so that communication is easier?

Truthfully, I usually have a family member with me when out.

Can you give some examples of situations you find yourself in daily where communication is difficult?
Just imagine everything if it isn't your own family who understands you. Everywhere all the time.

In what ways do you think that communication between deaf and hearing people can be improved?
Have things like Ubi/Duo in stores.

Can you say that most of your friends are deaf or signing? NO
Mostly my family and I speak and sign to them as they can understand a lot of what I say, but if not it is padded out with sign. THey do the same.

If no could you please state the circumstances? hard of hearing since birth, progressive loss until age 43, total loss at 43.
Are you a member of any deaf clubs? Yes
Do you use Sign Language? YES/NO still learning
Do you Lip read? YES/NO not easy

I am happy to repeat myself when people genuinely don’t understand what I’m saying.

Strongly Disagree Disagree
Neutral Agree Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree Disagree Neutral Agree Strongly Agree never faced with this yet

Strongly Disagree Disagree Neutral Agree Strongly Agreenot had to face this yet

Strongly Disagree Disagree Neutral Agree Strongly Agree always keep pen and paper handy

What is your preferred method of communication? I am still verbal, so I speak to hearing people and use sign with deaf people

In what ways do you think the deaf community are expected to conform to a hearing world? It is getting better, but we have had to adapt ourselves to fit in with their world, telephones, television, movies, public places

Given that more than 10% of the UK population is considered deaf or hard of hearing how do you think mainstream media should cater for this? not sure

Do you think people such as Doctors and other health professionals should be trained to communicate with the deaf community? yes and some do already

In what ways do you think the hearing community should reach out to include the deaf community? more and more they need to stop acting like we are second class citizens and just because we have a hearing loss, we are not stupid or uneducated.

In what ways do you think current provisions for the deaf community (such as subtitles) can be improved to make them more effective? Have them everywhere

In what ways do you think that the internet has improved communication between deaf and hearing populations? email, social networking and forums

How frequently do you come into contact with hearing people who don’t sign? daily

Do you find that most people who are unable to sign make an effort to make themselves understood? Yes/No

In the last year have you had any negative experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes/No
If yes can you describe what happened? At a local bank I tried to do a transaction that included the purchase of a cashier's check. No one there know sign and I was too new at it, I had a note prepared explaining what I wanted and it was in the notebook, but they still felt I was trying to rob the bank and called their security and manager.

In the last year have you had any positive experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes/No
If yes can you describe what happened? Most of the cashier's at a local grocery store are pretty good when I go there. They do try to work with me. Also, with a new bank, I did explain the problems I had previously and the manager introduced me to the whole staff and let me explain my situation. That has prompted the staff to try and learn ASL.

I find it less helpful when people can sign but only have a limited knowledge. Yes/No
If so how can you explain this? Any little bit is good and show they are trying.

Do you find that people are always understanding as why communication may be hard for the deaf community? No

Are there certain situations you would avoid going to alone if you knew it would be difficult to be understood? Yes/No
If so what would these circumstances be? Group situations are very hard and not very helpful for a person with a hearing loss

In what circumstance would you prepare for by arranging for a family member to come with you so that communication is easier? I always have a family member with me due to other problems.

Can you give some examples of situations you find yourself in daily where communication is difficult? I cannot use my cell phone for a typical call, only texting. Drive thrus at fast food places or the pharmacy are not easy at all.

In what ways do you think that communication between deaf and hearing people can be improved? Acceptance and Education

If no in what ways do you communicate? We speak. I read lips and if I don't understand I have them write it out.

Hope this helps.

30 to 39
Female
Yes
Are you a member of any deaf clubs?
Yes
Do you use Sign Language? YES/NO
Yes
Do you Lip read? YES/NO
Yes

Agree

Neutrual

Agree

Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree

Strongly Agree

Strongly Agree

Agree

Agree

Strongly Agree

Strongly Disagree

Strongly Agree

Neutral

Neutral

Strongly Agree

ASL

Only if the hearing world is willing to coform some also.

Media should stop portraying deaf people in a negative light or as "broken" hearing people.

Yes

Just dont run away from us when we tell you that we are deaf.

large group settings.

More compassion, understanding and willing to give equal opportunities in the working field.

The Internet is very visual and deaf people are very visual so it helps a lot!

Almost daily

Yes

By listening to what I need, exagerrating their lip movements or talking louder (the latter doesnt really help at all though)

In the last year have you had any negative experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes

Just being constantly left out or not taken seriously.

In the last year have you had any positive experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? Yes
Yes, my hearing friends who dont know sign but learning.

I find it less helpful when people can sign but only have a limited knowledge. No

It shows that they are truly interested in compromising with communicating with us instead of us doing all the compromising.

Neutral

Are there certain situations you would avoid going to alone if you knew it would be difficult to be understood? Yes
Large social settings such as family gatherings.

One on one situations

I am in a signing environment 99% of the time so I have no problem finding communication a constant problem.

That hearing people being more understanding and willingness to compromise instead of expecting the deaf person meet their communication needs all the way.

Can you say that most of your friends are deaf or signing? Yes

You really ought to know better than to collect research data from random, unvetted individuals on an online BB.

Do your dissertation advisers know you are doing this?

Hope this helps :)

Sex: MaleFemale
Have you been Deaf since birth? YESNO
Are you a member of any deaf clubs? not at the moment
Do you use Sign Language? YESNO
Do you Lip read? YESNO

reason being if I do not understand I will tell them. Don't want a person to constantly ask me if I understand them or not

Strongly Disagree Disagree Neutral AgreeStrongly Agree

depends on whom I'm communicating with

not quite sure what you are asking (conform?)

to provide deaf people the same accessibilities
yes

to be aware and learn that deaf people are normal people that just can't not hear. And help accommodate to our needs.

group events, deaf people tend get left out often

more public places should provide it more.. Seen many places that still do not provide that with out having to ask for it.

Would like to see movie theaters provide more services for the deaf.

the same way it is helping you. :) It is written text

daily

Do you find that most people who are unable to sign make an effort to make themselves understood? YesNo
Mainly the ones that cares. They take the time to communicate and fill me in. But not always sucessful.

In the last year have you had any negative experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? YesNo

Had group of people that did not believe that I can not hear. Basically they carried on and I left.
In the last year have you had any positive experiences when trying to communicate with hearing people? YesNo
Had people take the time to talk to me and asked questions. And made true effort to include me. [/b]

I find it less helpful when people can sign but only have a limited knowledge. YesNo

Some interpreters do think deaf people are limited. And I find that annoying.

[/b] yes. As with any language. The barriers are there with communication[/b]
Are there certain situations you would avoid going to alone if you knew it would be difficult to be understood? YesNo

Large group events.

[/b] not only family members but a friend as well. Basically just having someone there that knows you and understand helps. They also help me to tell others about my deafness and show them I'm no different. [/b]

co workers forgetting that I can not hear. Turning their backs while talking to me. Trying to tell me something from across the room. Finding myself walking up to them to tell them to repeat themselves.

For hearing people to understand that we can not hear. Many methods can be used. Interpreters, texting, writing, or simply taking the time to find creative ways to communicate.[/b]

If no in what ways do you communicate? I speak to my hearing friends and sign to my deaf friends. I am friends with both.

Are you a member of any deaf clubs? no
Do you use Sign Language? YES/NO but i'm not totally fluent in it
Do you Lip read? YES/NO

Depends, I sign when I will be understood, or if I really must, I'll write. And of course, whenever I have the opportunity to try, I try to speak.

I'm not sure if I understood the question, but I guess I sometimes get the feeling that people expect less from deaf people.

I think they shouldn't make it sound like such a terribly negative thing.

Yes, although I don't think it should be totally mandatory, but it would be nice if they were trained to do so.

I think we should be treated equally, that's all.

I'm not sure about that.

Giving us an equal chance at jobs.

We can type things out. There isn't a need to speak verbally.

All the time.

Do you find that most people who are unable to sign make an effort to make themselves understood? Yes (if they are hearing, usually)/No
If yes in what ways do they do this? They speak louder, or write it down.

If yes can you describe what happened? I've had many experiences, but it's basically not being "heard", because people sometimes can really disregard you.

If yes can you describe what happened?They treat me as an equal, which is about all I can ask for.

I find it less helpful when people can sign but only have a limited knowledge. Yes/No(Just a bit less helpful, but I know I'm not a total pro at signing either.)

Yes, and this questionnaire is an example of this.

If so what would these circumstances be?If it was not worth going through a ton trouble or if there was a big risk of disaster.

No preparation is really needed.

When people don't take you seriously

I don't know. Maybe if we were treated with a bit more justice and not seen as stupid.

I try to sign if they will understand, and sometime write things down. And of course, I try to speak when I think I will be understood.

You really ought to know better than to collect research data from random, unvetted individuals on an online BB.

Do your dissertation advisers know you are doing this?

Agreed! This is rather annoying.

When I had to do surveys in college I didn't go to a internet forum and post the questions and sit on my ass and wait for answers from cyberspace. Instead, I typed up and printed out my surveys and went around and actually went up to actual live persons and asked politely if they would like to fill out the surveys (with no names if they wanted to remain anonymous) and then they turned the surveys in to me. It took me a few days, but I got better answers and as a result I got a very good grade. I even had to ask permission from the place that I was passing the surveys to do this, as my professor requested all the class to do so. It was hard work, but I did it. I didn't take short cuts. I didn't cut corners. I didn't sit on my ass all day waiting for answers from people I didn't know. I was busy and I was present while all the females did the surveys and then turn them in to me, and it was a part of a big project for my class and was a good chunk of my total grade for my class. I had to do this all in person as my class was required to do so for their surveys targeted at specific groups of people (for me my survey was targeted at women - for my psychology class). If I had done it on the internet who knows who could be doing surveys, for all I know it could have been men who were bored, and the results would not be accurate, and I could have gotten a lousy grade! In person I could confirm that the people my surveys were targeted at were females! And I got a better grade for it!

And I'm going back to school in the fall and I am not going to be lazy and post questions on forums just so I wouldn't have to get off my ass. I will actually do my own research and do my own homework. Simply because I want to learn a lot and pass all my classes with flying colors so I can get hired as a RN when I finish college.

Good luck on your dissertation, Uni SJ! And I hope you take my advice and actually do your surveys with actual people in person instead of on cyberspace. Trust me, you'll get a much better grade.

Personally, I am for finding easier ways to collect data. Many of my friends are working on their dissertations right now, and I've seen how aggravating it can be for them. What concerns me though, is that this individual is just taking information from anyone here without vetting them. Now, I know most, if not all, of the people here are good as gold and wouldn't lie on this survey, but how does the OP know that? Collecting data in this manner is not only unethical, but it harms the validity of his/her study on a topic that many of us consider very important.

Now, at the same time, consider that this individual has not told any of us what the information is going to be used for or what the dissertation topic is, specifically. How do we know the OP isn't going to just cherry pick information from the data to support arguments that are biased?

The fact is, when you collect research for something as important as a dissertation, there needs to be certain ethical constraints in place, including full disclosure of intent and method on the interviewer's part, and a vetting process for each of the interviewees.

C'mon, people; think about what you are doing before you fill out this person's survey.

ok i'm sorry i'll take it off, for the person who said they had taken their surveys round etc, i actually have done this and got a very low number and i'm running out of time hence why i got desperate and came on here.

My dissertation is on communication between deaf and hearing communities for those who wanted to know, Sorry!

Personally, I am for finding easier ways to collect data. Many of my friends are working on their dissertations right now, and I've seen how aggravating it can be for them. What concerns me though, is that this individual is just taking information from anyone here without vetting them. Now, I know most, if not all, of the people here are good as gold and wouldn't lie on this survey, but how does the OP know that? Collecting data in this manner is not only unethical, but it harms the validity of his/her study on a topic that many of us consider very important.

Now, at the same time, consider that this individual has not told any of us what the information is going to be used for or what the dissertation topic is, specifically. How do we know the OP isn't going to just cherry pick information from the data to support arguments that are biased?

The fact is, when you collect research for something as important as a dissertation, there needs to be certain ethical constraints in place, including full disclosure of intent and method on the interviewer's part, and a vetting process for each of the interviewees.

C'mon, people; think about what you are doing before you fill out this person's survey.

I agree!

ok i'm sorry i'll take it off, for the person who said they had taken their surveys round etc, i actually have done this and got a very low number and i'm running out of time hence why i got desperate and came on here.

My dissertation is on communication between deaf and hearing communities for those who wanted to know, Sorry!

Find deaf hang-out places and go there. Such as Deaf Starbucks night, Deaf Professional Happy Hour, and at Deaf Bowling where many non-bowling Deafies tend to hang out at. Do some research and contact Deaf organizations and ask if they know where the hangout spots are and then go to the hang out places.

It's really not that hard. Just get off your butt and go out and do it.

Find deaf hang-out places and go there. Such as Deaf Starbucks night, Deaf Professional Happy Hour, and at Deaf Bowling where many non-bowling Deafies tend to hang out at. Do some research and contact Deaf organizations and ask if they know where the hangout spots are and then go to the hang out places.

It's really not that hard. Just get off your butt and go out and do it.

while there may be all those things in America, I can tell you after MONTHS of research and hard work in Scotland, there isn't so much! So please stop jumping down my throat when all i was looking for was a little help, I've already apologised and said i wont use the data!

Back