Dislike Weekend Work

ClearSky

Reaction score
I have a job that only gives me 2 weekends of the month off, but not necessarily together like Saturday and Sunday in a row. I miss spending time at home with my family when they are free from work. I got homesick about that, so I requested this weekend and Thanksgiving off. We only had Thanksgiving Day off as a paid holiday. I work in a store. I get 2 days off during the week, which is kind of nice, but my family are working.

I know a store like mine at another place that are off Sundays. I don't understand why mine open on both weekends. I know they are the busiest day though. The store is a small store. Another one closes about a half hour earlier which is a huge store.

I am not really going to change my job right now because it's a nice place to go to work, but I wonder what specific stores have more weekends off. I'd like Sunday off to go to church. Isn't there a law about this at all? sigh.

No law about this, sorry to inform u. I used to work 2 full time jobs...one as a teacher during the week and as a resident counselor on weekends at a group home for 2 years! I know the feeling. I quit my group home job last jan due to having a baby and having health problems...Now I just enjoy my weekends with my family. No money I make is worth the sacrific!

Have u thought about working in a different field that doesnt require weekend work/

Try changing a different career that doesn't require working on weekends. Most office related jobs don't require that, also the computer jobs, too. That's how it is, if you gotta work on weekend, you gotta accept it.

i used to work at restaurant and yes i did work on weekends.. it really sucks cuz i didnt have a life but except partying all night when i get off from work then eat out at Waffle house at 5 am in the morning then go home and hit the bed and sleep during daytime.. i used to work full time every night from 5 pm to 10 30 sometimes can have OT to 11 pm.. so depend on how rush it was.. whew! till i had a work injury forcing me to stop working.. I will never work during weekends again cuz i want to spend time with my son as i only see him on weekends.. so no more working on weekends.. i rather work during daytime that way i wil be home and be with TJ at night time.. helping him with homework and such like that... :)

I remember specifically asking for New years eve Off.. my boss frowned on me first year i worked there cuz New years eve is THE BUSIEST night of the year! i told my boss but its always same every year.. my friends get in town and we all hang out and catch up on news and party together every year for new years eve.. my boss understood and said ok.. so every year i do that.. and everyone was jealous i get off for that.. lol.. hehe..

Used work on weekends, I don't liket it all.

Glad I get off days on most weekends. Thanks to UPS.

I'm a terp and I work days, evenings, late night, six days a week, whatever the consumers need. I work only part time, so I don't work Sundays. On Sundays, I interpret at my church, morning and evening. I don't get any paid sick or vacation days.

I know some full-time terps work seven days a week, day and evening.

It just depends on what kind of work you want to do. Nurses, doctors, police, fire fighters, and military work all days and nights; some one has to do it.

I guess jobs that have the best schedules are banks, government offices, and schools (other than colleges).

I know the feeling. I used to work in retail and automotive sales. Hated it! I wanted to go to church on sundays but they forced me to work.. They used to have a law way back. President Nixon changed it to allow stores open on Sundays. Grr! I liked all stores closed on Sunday. Hey, if you want weekends off, move to Central America! They do not open on Sundays and closed ALL week twice a year: Holy Week before Easter and Holy Week before Christmas! PLUS for Christmas week off, by law in Costa Rica, that everyone who work there get paid one extra week as Christmas bonus. Here in US, its not required to have a bonus but some businesses do.

Next time try to apply at a blue-chip factory, paid better but much better than a store. My brother works in one making an auto parts and he doesnt work on Sundays. He is off on weekends to spend his time with the boys (he is separated from his soon to be ex-wife).

I hope this helps!! That is why I work for myself. I know pays sucks but love the freedom to sleep late or to work later! Sometimes I am bored on weekends, I work on projects. Today is Saturday and I had a booth at a snowmobile show. I got sales today! I enjoyed looking at old machines that had at the show. Get a job that YOU enjoy the MOST out of it! Like I did, I love it! I am going to another antique snowmobile show in 2 wks on a Saturday and I AM going to set up booth because I WANT to--to get business AND to enjoy looking at old snowmobiles that I remembered riding or seeing them in the past! I hope this help, my dear friend!

I had been work weekends for five years but i was work ing regular part time.. I worked hospital in linen distrubution due to low staff. i had to work weekends that i disliked. I realized i missed my family and friends. They prepared parties and etc. So i decided to discuss with my supervisor i was told i wanted to take weekends off and the supervisor told me because i got hired but i got accepted it. Finally i quit my last job and got hired from food service at same company and i was so happy that i spend weekends with them. But sometime i work weekends if they are sick or vacation.

Are you saying that you're working every day during the week?

Back