Discussing on how Deaf people should approach hearing people

Kalista

Premium Member
Reaction score
YouTube - How Deaf people should approach hearing people

Never thought what I grow up to point my finger to my ear (shake my head) gesture to hearing people, tell them that I can't hear. I will try this one next time if a hearing person tries to talk to me at the store, work, park, beach, etc...

This Vlog helps alot ! :) Will this work for us to using sign language to approach with hearing people? Let see what their react will be.

What will you say to hearing person when he / she approach you?

Will you sign to the hearing person like, May I help You?

Do you agree with this vlog perspective ?

I will test myself to using my sign when a hearing person approach me. I will see what their react will be. ;)

I did that before with strangers. But I have never thought about the difference in the results.

Thank you!

Thankfully his signing is very clear and readable.

I think I will try it when I am not in a hurry.

I did that before with strangers. But I have never thought about the difference in the results.

Thank you!

Thankfully his signing is very clear and readable.

I think I will try it when I am not in a hurry.

Why would being in a hurry make any difference in your "experiment", Silentwolf? Go ahead and try it the first opportunity you get.

I think this is a good idea for those who don't comprehend the spoken word well enough or don't speak themselves. Personally, I do it slightly differently but I still think this is a good idea for those who can't hear/speak as it levels the playing field, most especially if you're a customer.

Well, if you just want to grab something in a hurry, you don't want to wait to see hearing person finally figure it out or calm down after panic a little.

I don't like to be in store for long especially in a crowd.

Yeah.. I do same thing goes for everyone ppl and remind them.. don't let opinion one.. Just plenty other opinion too... Don't let anyone guillable doctor's instruction!

Yesterday, I went to pharmacy to look for over the counter medication for my flu with muscle and joint aches. I apprached to the pharmacist, pen and paper with guesture. She cooperated very well to find a right medication. I signed her, "Thank You". :ty: She smile.

Text Transcript

Hello. My name is Eric Babb. This is my first video clip on my vlog. I'd like to discuss about an article that I read last summer. The article's topic was about how Deaf people should approach hearing people on a daily life. This article was very interesting.

The article said normal hearing people generally deal with other hearing people through their spoken language. For example, there was a hearing employee working as a cashier at a store. The cashier saw a customer walked in the store. The hearing cashier greeted customers with the usual "Good afternoon, how can I help you today..." This means the cashier expected the customer to reply back back to the cashier in a spoken language. The customer replied back to the cashier in the same spoken language saying "I'm doing fine. I need your help with different issues." That is how hearing people deal with each other daily.

Ok. If there was a deaf customer in the same picture. The deaf customer walked in the store. The hearing cashier had been dealing with different customers through their spoken language all the day. The hearing cashier saw the deaf customer walked by him. The hearing cashier did the usual greeting to the deaf customer by asking the customer "How can I help you?", "Do you need any help?", or other ways to greet them. The deaf customer didn't reply back to the cashier in any spoken language. The hearing cashier puzzled and assumed that maybe the customer didnt hear him because of a noisy enivornment. So the cashier spoke a bit louder. The customer still didn't reply back to the cashier. The deaf customer kept on walking and noticed something at the corner of the deaf customer's eyes. The deaf customer saw the cashier moving their lips and realized that the cashier was talking to him through a spoken langauge. The very next step deaf people, in the general, do is informing a hearing person that he/she is deaf by pointing their ears, using a body gesture asking the hearing person for a pen and a piece of paper, moving their mouth to tell them that he/she cannot speak, or use many other methods to inform them that he/she is deaf.

From my point of view, the 1st 3 approaches should not be used by a deaf person. I'll explain you why.

Okay. When a deaf person uses the "pointing to ears" approach to a hearing person, the hearing person becomes puzzled and normally dont catch the body gesture at their first attempt. Then the hearing person realizes that the person is deaf and starts to feel pity for the deaf person. The "pointing to your ears" approach would make a deaf person downgrade themselves to a less person and upgrade a hearing person to a "better" person because of their ability to hear. The hearing person pities the deaf person and thinks that the deaf person is no good. The "pointing to ears" approach draws hearing people focuses on the deaf person's ability to hear negatively. The ability to hear shouldn't be matter and needs to be thrown out of the picture.

If a deaf person tells a hearing person that they cannot speak, it means the approach draws hearing person's focus to the deaf person's ability to speak negatively. The approach encourages a hearing person to pity the deaf person because they cannot speak.

The "a pen and a piece of paper" body gesture means a deaf person has to put all of their efforts to simply communicate with a hearing person. It is a hassle for them.

The 1st 3 approaches are not the best ideal approaches for us. The 1st 3 approaches should not be used by a deaf person at all. The article, that I read last summer, made a good suggestion. It explains that in the general deaf people at a deaf-related events usually use American Sign Language (ASL) to each other since it is a common language at deaf-related events. On the other hand, a hearing person usually speaking to another hearing person through a spoken language. It means ASL and spoken English functions equally for both of the groups. If a hearing person choose to speak in their native language, a deaf person should be able to choose to sign in their native sign language too. Both of their native languages are equivalent to each other.

I know that many hearing people don't know how to sign which is fine because deaf people, in the general, don't know how to speak too. Whenever a hearing person speaks to a person, the hearing person generally expects that person to reply back in the same spoken language. A deaf person should do the same thing by signing to a person and expects that person to reply back in the same sign language too.

So if a hearing person speaks to a deaf person and expects the deaf person to speak back to the hearing person, the deaf person should reply to the hearing person in their sign language and expect the hearing to reply back in the same sign language. Of course, the hearing people would be confused and puzzled if a deaf person signs to them because the hearing people use a spoken language daily and all the sudden someone just used a sign language to the hearing person instead of using a spoken language. That created a confusion for the hearing person.

Creating a confusion for them is a good thing. Because it will lead them to a curiosity in your sign language. It also shows them your confidence and your pride to be a deaf person. There is no shame to be a deaf person. The ability to hear should not matter. You should be proud to use ASL as your language as much as hearing people are proud to use spoken English as their language.

The article suggested me to use that approach and I was really curious if that approach really does work. So I went to Home Depot to buy a measurement tape on the same day. I went in a Home Depot store and saw a hearing employee walking by me. I went to that hearing employee and signed directly to him by saying "Hello. I need your help to find a measurement tape." That hearing employee looked at me with a puzzling look on his face because I didn't speak with my voice and used my hands to speak with him. He couldn't understand me because he didn't know how to sign. Then he realized that I am deaf who uses a sign langauge. I continued to sign to him as I expected him to reply back to me in a sign language. He used a body gesture to tell me to wait while he was pulling out his notepad from his pocket.

I was amazingly surprised that he was making efforts by taking out his notepad himself so he could communicate with me through his notepad. In the past, I always had to make efforts to communicate with other hearing people through a pen and a piece of paper. Now the table turned around to him and it made him to make efforts instead of me which was really nice.

Anyway. The hearing employee wrote on his notepad and it said "Hello, how can I help you? I am sorry that I can't sign." I was amazingly surprised that he actually apologized to me that he doesnt know how to sign. I remember from my childhood years to today, I had to point my ears to "apologize" to hearing people that I cannot hear. I had to apologize to them many times. But with the hearing employee at the Home Depot, it's totally opposite. He apologized to me that he didn't know how to sign which was really nice. So I went ahead and communicated with him through his notepad and went on with my measurement tape hunting. He helped me to find a measurement tape. That experience went beyond my expection.

I noticed that the attitudes between the old approach and the new approach are so different. With the old "pointing to ears" approach, you end up getting pities from them. With the new "signing to them directly" approach; you end up getting respects from them and having them to put their efforts in communicating with me. Which approach do you think is better? Of course, the new approach is a lot better than the old approaches.

From now on, I will not use the "pointing my ears" method or use the "a pen and a piece of paper" method anymore. I will sign to hearing people directly to shake their world. I totally love to see their facial expressions after I shake their world. But the bottom line is it is really nice to create a curiosity from them. I am glad that the article introduced that approach to me. I thanked the article for teaching me the new approach.

If you have any suggestion, know any better approach, would like to share your experiences, or would like to give me some feedbacks; help yourself to add your comment by clicking the link below the video clip. I'd really like to discuss about this topic. Im looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thank you.

Interesting, thanks for sharing... I didn't know that it was not a good approach for the hearing people..

Mostly of the times, when the cashiers came to me and asked if I need any help, I usually just shook my head to symbols "No I don't need any help", that's all..

Hello. My name is Eric Babb. This is my first video clip on my vlog. I'd like to discuss about an article that I read last summer. The article's topic was about how Deaf people should approach hearing people on a daily life. This article was very interesting.

The article said normal hearing people generally deal with other hearing people through their spoken language. For example, there was a hearing employee working as a cashier at a store. The cashier saw a customer walked in the store. The hearing cashier greeted customers with the usual "Good afternoon, how can I help you today..." This means the cashier expected the customer to reply back back to the cashier in a spoken language. The customer replied back to the cashier in the same spoken language saying "I'm doing fine. I need your help with different issues." That is how hearing people deal with each other daily.

Ok. If there was a deaf customer in the same picture. The deaf customer walked in the store. The hearing cashier had been dealing with different customers through their spoken language all the day. The hearing cashier saw the deaf customer walked by him. The hearing cashier did the usual greeting to the deaf customer by asking the customer "How can I help you?", "Do you need any help?", or other ways to greet them. The deaf customer didn't reply back to the cashier in any spoken language. The hearing cashier puzzled and assumed that maybe the customer didnt hear him because of a noisy enivornment. So the cashier spoke a bit louder. The customer still didn't reply back to the cashier. The deaf customer kept on walking and noticed something at the corner of the deaf customer's eyes. The deaf customer saw the cashier moving their lips and realized that the cashier was talking to him through a spoken langauge. The very next step deaf people, in the general, do is informing a hearing person that he/she is deaf by pointing their ears, using a body gesture asking the hearing person for a pen and a piece of paper, moving their mouth to tell them that he/she cannot speak, or use many other methods to inform them that he/she is deaf.

From my point of view, the 1st 3 approaches should not be used by a deaf person. I'll explain you why.

Okay. When a deaf person uses the "pointing to ears" approach to a hearing person, the hearing person becomes puzzled and normally dont catch the body gesture at their first attempt. Then the hearing person realizes that the person is deaf and starts to feel pity for the deaf person. The "pointing to your ears" approach would make a deaf person downgrade themselves to a less person and upgrade a hearing person to a "better" person because of their ability to hear. The hearing person pities the deaf person and thinks that the deaf person is no good. The "pointing to ears" approach draws hearing people focuses on the deaf person's ability to hear negatively. The ability to hear shouldn't be matter and needs to be thrown out of the picture.

If a deaf person tells a hearing person that they cannot speak, it means the approach draws hearing person's focus to the deaf person's ability to speak negatively. The approach encourages a hearing person to pity the deaf person because they cannot speak.

The "a pen and a piece of paper" body gesture means a deaf person has to put all of their efforts to simply communicate with a hearing person. It is a hassle for them.

The 1st 3 approaches are not the best ideal approaches for us. The 1st 3 approaches should not be used by a deaf person at all. The article, that I read last summer, made a good suggestion. It explains that in the general deaf people at a deaf-related events usually use American Sign Language (ASL) to each other since it is a common language at deaf-related events. On the other hand, a hearing person usually speaking to another hearing person through a spoken language. It means ASL and spoken English functions equally for both of the groups. If a hearing person choose to speak in their native language, a deaf person should be able to choose to sign in their native sign language too. Both of their native languages are equivalent to each other.

I know that many hearing people don't know how to sign which is fine because deaf people, in the general, don't know how to speak too. Whenever a hearing person speaks to a person, the hearing person generally expects that person to reply back in the same spoken language. A deaf person should do the same thing by signing to a person and expects that person to reply back in the same sign language too.

So if a hearing person speaks to a deaf person and expects the deaf person to speak back to the hearing person, the deaf person should reply to the hearing person in their sign language and expect the hearing to reply back in the same sign language. Of course, the hearing people would be confused and puzzled if a deaf person signs to them because the hearing people use a spoken language daily and all the sudden someone just used a sign language to the hearing person instead of using a spoken language. That created a confusion for the hearing person.

Creating a confusion for them is a good thing. Because it will lead them to a curiosity in your sign language. It also shows them your confidence and your pride to be a deaf person. There is no shame to be a deaf person. The ability to hear should not matter. You should be proud to use ASL as your language as much as hearing people are proud to use spoken English as their language.

The article suggested me to use that approach and I was really curious if that approach really does work. So I went to Home Depot to buy a measurement tape on the same day. I went in a Home Depot store and saw a hearing employee walking by me. I went to that hearing employee and signed directly to him by saying "Hello. I need your help to find a measurement tape." That hearing employee looked at me with a puzzling look on his face because I didn't speak with my voice and used my hands to speak with him. He couldn't understand me because he didn't know how to sign. Then he realized that I am deaf who uses a sign langauge. I continued to sign to him as I expected him to reply back to me in a sign language. He used a body gesture to tell me to wait while he was pulling out his notepad from his pocket.

I was amazingly surprised that he was making efforts by taking out his notepad himself so he could communicate with me through his notepad. In the past, I always had to make efforts to communicate with other hearing people through a pen and a piece of paper. Now the table turned around to him and it made him to make efforts instead of me which was really nice.

Anyway. The hearing employee wrote on his notepad and it said "Hello, how can I help you? I am sorry that I can't sign." I was amazingly surprised that he actually apologized to me that he doesnt know how to sign. I remember from my childhood years to today, I had to point my ears to "apologize" to hearing people that I cannot hear. I had to apologize to them many times. But with the hearing employee at the Home Depot, it's totally opposite. He apologized to me that he didn't know how to sign which was really nice. So I went ahead and communicated with him through his notepad and went on with my measurement tape hunting. He helped me to find a measurement tape. That experience went beyond my expection.

I noticed that the attitudes between the old approach and the new approach are so different. With the old "pointing to ears" approach, you end up getting pities from them. With the new "signing to them directly" approach; you end up getting respects from them and having them to put their efforts in communicating with me. Which approach do you think is better? Of course, the new approach is a lot better than the old approaches.

From now on, I will not use the "pointing my ears" method or use the "a pen and a piece of paper" method anymore. I will sign to hearing people directly to shake their world. I totally love to see their facial expressions after I shake their world. But the bottom line is it is really nice to create a curiosity from them. I am glad that the article introduced that approach to me. I thanked the article for teaching me the new approach.

If you have any suggestion, know any better approach, would like to share your experiences, or would like to give me some feedbacks; help yourself to add your comment by clicking the link below the video clip. I'd really like to discuss about this topic. Im looking forward to seeing your comments.

Thank you.

That is AWESOME!!! I have never thought of doing that. Even when I speaking, telling the hearing person that I am deaf and can read lips, I usually get the pity look from them. I am gonna use ASL the next time I encounter a hearing stranger.

That's great that the Home Depot employee apologized to you for not knowing ASL instead of for your deafness.

I will post my experiences with this approach.

lol no way i'm too shy to do that! and what if they laugh and goes 'what?" and look at me like i'm idiot?! lol i dont have guts to do that! lol i always just point my ear or shake my head and walk away quickly as possible lol!

Thank you for the transcript, Kalista.

I agree with what Mr. Babb is saying, though he seems to be a little confrontational in his attitude. The intent should be for communication and letting go of the expectation of how the conversation will play out. It might go to pen and paper or it might go to some sort of "universal gestures" to get the point across.

I don't think pointing to one's ear elicits pity from the hearing world as he's saying, at least not the region I live in. It's communication.

But, yes, just start signing, let go of expectations, and see what happens.

lol no way i'm too shy to do that! and what if they laugh and goes 'what?" and look at me like i'm idiot?! lol i dont have guts to do that! lol i always just point my ear or shake my head and walk away quickly as possible lol!

While the laughing isn't very nice, I think his intent is to shake up the status quo running through a customer service representative's mind. They are supposed to accommodate the customer. This would be no different than any other disability and it shouldn't be up to those who are disabled or speak differently to apologize or accommodate the business, after all that business wants your dollar, no?

I've always been pensive about this kind of scenario but now that I think about it, I follow pretty much the same route for anyone I can't communicate through spoken language with. I've usually made bene very expressive with my face (which I understand is an important role in communicating something in ASL) to try to convey a concept (regardless of language) since I'm still in a very real sense very new to ASL. Though I'm hoping I can be in a situation where when someone does sign to me, I'd be adept enough to not have to resort to pen and paper but in a language they already know.

I think that's a marvelous idea.

Thanks for transcribing the video for those of us who can't sign so well, Kalista. :)

For many years hearing people look down to Deaf people. Now, it is our turn to make hearing people look down because they did not understand sign language or how to interact with us. Therefore, I test on them to see how much they have enough confidence to react to me when I sign. I need your help, I can't find the shower tool. He guide me to the right asile, surprise he understand my guesture. :)

You want they look down at you, they think you are second class citizten. Do you want this?

I will have to expermint with signing to cashiers when I am in a part of town that doesn't know me.

Philosophically, it makes sense. Suppose an English-speaking American clerk greeted a Spanish-speaking customer? The Spanish-speaking customer would probably reply in Spanish, thus indicating to the clerk that the customer uses only Spanish. Same concept with the ASL response by a Deaf customer.

Practically, it probably depends on each situation and person involved. Most hearing people, if they're working in a service industry or position, should respond in a courteous, helpful manner. But there's always a certain percentage who will be rude, ignorant, or fearful, and that's going to be the case no matter what approach one uses.

I look forward to reading the feedback from ADers who use this approach. :)

While the laughing isn't very nice,

Have never understood this attitude, never will. Laughing merely indicates how a person handles an unexpected situation -- With humor. These are the kinds of people who are most apt to find a creative, friendly approach to solving any problem. The best way to handle them is to smile or laugh back.

Nothing is all that serious.

Laughing does not mean they think you are an idiot. Laughing means they are adjusting to the situation. Most people who laugh readily are aware of their own foibles and are willing to tolerate the foibles of others.

The ones who don't laugh are often the ones who think they are perfect and everyone else is an idiot for not meeting their standards.

Regardless, you have as much right to be there as they do. You have the right to stand up proud and look them in the eye. Once you walk away, no matter how willing they are to be friendly toward you, you have made them helpless and unable to do anything for you.

Back