Discrimination at work!!

matlinfan1991

Reaction score
Just need to vent!

My grandmother works with a really sweet Deaf woman. They are trying to convince her to take speech therapy (she doesn't really speak at all) but she doesn't want to. Being involved in Deaf Culture/ASL, I'm backing her up. It needs to be her decision as to whether she takes it or not. I realize it could help her communicate but she has lived 30+ years of her life doing absolutely fine without speaking! Their only reason for bringing it up is because it would help them understand her seeing as they DON'T EVEN HAVE AN INTERPRETER for her. Every time they have meetings, they call me in to interpret but it's not like I have a license to do it. I love helping her and I would never require any money but they've never offered. I can't say no because then she feels bad. When i say yes, I have to drive 30 miles both ways! :roll:

The company is probably violiating ADA laws and Civil rights laws by doing this. I would ask the woman to check into that and if it has been found to be true, get a lawyer.

Does the lady read and write? Why not pursue that avenue? It's nice you've helped her, BUT I believe in helping others as long as they try to help themselves, too. 30 miles is a trip! And gas prices aren't peanuts!

Does the lady read and write? Why not pursue that avenue? It's nice you've helped her, BUT I believe in helping others as long as they try to help themselves, too. 30 miles is a trip! And gas prices aren't peanuts!

Yeah, she reads and writes. She does everything she can to help other people understand but its time consuming. You know?

Back