discovery channel: deafblind triplets

dreama,

How do you know that modifying behavior wouldn't work for Zoe for Emma? It worked for me. That proves it has the potential to work for them as well.

Besides, Liz hasn't even addressed this with them, so we don't know either way if it will work.

How do you know she hasn't. Been in touch? It should be right at the bottom of the list. They need more communication big time. they might find comfort in these blindisms that you so much dispise.

I had a good friend at doncaster deaf college. He was born deafblind (although he had useful vision. Enough to use BSL by sight). He also had a great personality and obviously enjoyed life. He was a very happy person. He enjoyed college life anyway. He's on the top of my list of favorite people. It's just very unfortunate that we lost touch. These things happen sometimes.

Anyway he also had blindisms. Didn't bother me at all. I just valued his company. The blindisms were no big deal to me.

Originally Posted by dreama
Maybe you should learn more about autism?

And maybe you should stop underestimating the capabilities of autistic children by learning more about the things they can do as opposed to what they can't.

I don't underestimate autism. Aleser speaks several languages and goes to a really good college. She's one of the most independant deafblind Autistic people I know. She has just CHOSEN to focus on more important things then just being 'normal'.

If I ever had an autistic child I'd be knocking on her door for tips.

I don't underestimate autism. Aleser speaks several languages and goes to a really good college. She's one of the most independant deafblind Autistic people I know. She has just CHOSEN to focus on more important things then just being 'normal'.

You flatter me! Just to nitpick, I went to a good college. Back in 'the day' hehe.

But, thanks- you sure aren't doing too bad yourself, ma'am.

Good for Aleser.

By the way, I never said anything about Aleser's capabilities, so I have no idea what your point is.

I had a good friend at doncaster deaf college...Anyway he also had blindisms. Didn't bother me at all. I just valued his company. The blindisms were no big deal to me.

I can tell Liz didn't seem concerned about Zoe or Emma's blindisms based on her comment about them living in a "dark, silent world." I interpret that statement to mean she pities her daughters. If I had a deafblind child, I wouldn't be caught dead saying such a thing.

As for your thoughts about blindisms, I wouldn't expect someone who approves of such behaviors to be bothered by others who do the same.

As for me, I choose to associate with deafblind and blind people who don't exhibit blindisms.

By the way, there are many deafblind and blind people who don't eye poke or rock who are just as happy (if not more) than those who do.

My point about Aleser is that she is doing well as someone who has Asperger but she didn't need her mom to stop her simming to do well. That's my point.

Wether the triplets mom pities them or not, is beside the point. I agree that she needs to teach them how to be independant but to stop them from acting deafblind is... well they ARE deafblind. So they should be incouraged to touch everything they come into contact with. They should be incouraged to explore their world as a deafblind person.

Besides I'm curious to know this: as a totally deafblind mother exactly how will you know if your blind child is rocking? Does someone who rocks make a noise that is loud enough for a CI to pick up? That would be news to me.

My point about Aleser is that she is doing well as someone who has Asperger but she didn't need her mom to stop her simming to do well. That's my point.

Wether the triplets mom pities them or not, is beside the point. I agree that she needs to teach them how to be independant but to stop them from acting deafblind is... well they ARE deafblind. So they should be incouraged to touch everything they come into contact with. They should be incouraged to explore their world as a deafblind person.

Besides I'm curious to know this: as a totally deafblind mother exactly how will you know if your blind child is rocking? Does someone who rocks make a noise that is loud enough for a CI to pick up? That would be news to me.

Discouraging a child from rocking or eye poking isn't preventing them from being deafblind.

Besides, what does a deafblind child look like? Many of them don't rock or eye poke, so I don't understand what you mean about a child "acting deafblind."

Again, there's nothing wrong with a deafblind child exploring their environment.

However, there is an appropriate time and place for that. They can explore their environment at home or during O&M. They don't need to be feeling around in public looking like a pitiful blind or deafblind child.

Since I have a sighted-hearing boyfriend, he can let me know when my deafblind child rocks. I can also ask relatives, friends, my child's teacher and O&M instructor to tell me this. I could pick up on their rocking as well since a deafblind child usually does not talk or make any noise when doing so. Since deafblind children are typically active, I would be able to know if my child were rocking based on the fact that he or she isn't engaging in any activity or making any sound. I could also determine this by using my Mowat Sensor and pointing it towards my child. Last but not least, I can always determine this by touching him or her. As you can see (no pun intended), there are many ways I could tell my child is rocking.

Wether the triplets mom pities them or not, is beside the point.

There are plenty of autistic children who are negatively affected by their behaviors. Aleser may not be, but that doesn't mean this is true for the majority of children with autism.

Whether or not Liz pities her children is not beside the point. If she pities them, she will not take steps to encourage independence and allow them to function as normally as possible.

My mother always told me that I shouldn't expect the world to accommodate me because I'm blind. She was right. The world doesn't owe me anything just because I can't see. (Note: When I mention "accommodation," I'm referring to demanding that people meet my needs and accept anything I do right or wrong just because I'm blind.)

I would love to meet Sophie, Zoe and Emma someday. :) I really do feel like they have so much potential, but I also think it can only be achieved if they have regular intervenor services from Lindsey.

Emma does know sign. Lindsey has been working with her on that.

I think it would be wonderful if Zoe and Emma could communicate with each other. They're still at the point where they are learning sign, but once they develop a sizeable vocabulary, they could always have each other to communicate with.

I also think it would be a good idea if the triplets learned print on palm/POP (i.e. tracing block letters into the palm of one's hand) since this would allow them to communicate with any sighted-hearing person.

Pinky, I would love to meet you as well! :)

Yeah! :) Zoe does know sign language too.

ditto, especially in THIS case where there's very little vision...like they're not legally blind. They are BLIND!

The legal blind is 20/200 over. Sophie has 20/300. She is still legal blind. Emma and Zoe are totally blinds.

Don't be misunderstand or make up your mind! Go research over the internet or go to library.

really worried about things

I have seen and personally experienced many things with this family. I have seen one thing that really upsets and worries my soul. These girls have been absolultely without an intervenor for almost 6 months now. She quit because the mother and stepfather did not do their "homework" with the girls....she had to start over each week.....THEY DID NOT FOLLOW UP WITH HER LESSONS AND WORK WITH THE GIRLS. Liz is very much about what makes it easy for her....she has taken the fund and hired 2 full-time baby sitters, instead. These two people are there to wipe their mouths and show them where the cookies, cheetoes and lolipops are...they do bathe them and change them, too. It is just sad, because Emma & Zoe are completely helpless. They do not have any, zero, means of communicating with people....and nobody is trying to do so. They either sit in a swing or in a chair with a lollipop & cheetoes. A school, particularly fo defablind, offers FREE HWLP....they would hve to move to the Chicago ar3ea...but they would be able to have actual life skills!! Liz said no, as she likes it where she is. Working for the foundation is going good.

The little girls father, real father is not out of the picture. He just does not want to ride the media train....he works full time, and provides healthcare, along with a healthy support payment, otherwise known as the house payment. I am sad for the girls...they have no hope and nobody willing to give them what they need. It would alienate them from their mother, and she may keep the girls even more isolated.....as the intervenor got the shaft for showing the same concern. So much more to this story, it is just sad that we all have to ignore the truth...because we may cause lack of support for the girls. What to do.....

Hello concerned. Welcome to All deaf. It would be really great if you could stay and fill us in a little more into what is actually going on?

Mrs Bucket: The question isn't so much who concerned is. What is more important is what is really going on here. What she is saying would explain the triplets limited development so far. We've had a post from the child's father before but he didn't stay. I hope concerned stays longer and explains more.

Mrs Bucket: The question isn't so much who concerned is. What is more important is what is really going on here. What she is saying would explain the triplets limited development so far. We've had a post from the child's father before but he didn't stay. I hope concerned stays longer and explains more.

dreama, we have no idea what is going on with the DB triplets and their family's lifestyle. For us to even think or try to pass judgment on them, we have no right at all.

To base an assumption on an outsider's POVs or even an insider's POVs, we cannot do that.

This is all hearsay that concerned is doing and quite frankly, if concerned was a shafted intervenor, he/she should have stuck with the COEs & kept his/her mouth shut like a good professional.

Methinks I have the answer right in front of me why concerned is sharing hearsay with us.

dreama, we have no idea what is going on with the DB triplets and their family's lifestyle. For us to even think or try to pass judgment on them, we have no right at all.

To base an assumption on an outsider's POVs or even an insider's POVs, we cannot do that.

This is all hearsay that concerned is doing and quite frankly, if concerned was a shafted intervenor, he/she should have stuck with the COEs & kept his/her mouth shut like a good professional.

Methinks I have the answer right in front of me why concerned is sharing hearsay with us.

I'm sorry but I disagree. If the triplets aren't being treated properly we have a right to know. After all they are in the limelight and people are going to base what deafblind children are capable of on what the triplets are capable of which lets face it currently doesn't amount to much. People NEED to know if their limitations aren't just due to deafblindness but also due to lack of proper intervention.

People NEED to know if their limitations aren't just due to deafblindness but also due to lack of proper intervention.

I agree with this quote however we should not be using the triplets as test subjects. This is where I feel strongly about this.

I bought a DVD of "Through your eyes; The movies" I never watch it on pbs in 2007. I just want to curious what is the movie alike. I read the comment on "YouTube" It's too much criticize and judge on DB triplets family. I just wonder why they made fun of them. I curious and watch whole the movies. I found it out the parents sent DB triplets in public school. It's not good for Zoe and Emma go to public school. Their mother Liz tried to look around the deafblind school in her area. No service available. I am wonder why parents visit to Mass for deafblind school. They have to spend about 22,000 dollars. Its' too much spend on money. I checked on google map to find where is the deafblind services available in Texas. There have many deafblind services. It don't make any sense to me. Liz and George wanted to be own deafblind school for horse riding and aquatic school and other in their hometown.

Sophie is attend to private academy school. Zoe and Emma are homeschooling. I just wonder why? :hmm:

What do you mean by test subjects exactly?

You don't get it do you?

It's all been about the deafblind triplets' surroundings, their education but hasn't anyone sat down & tactiled with the triplets?

Hasn't anyone sat down and talked to the parents? You may think you have the triplets' best interests at heart because you're deafblind too, but you don't.

I'm DeafBlind too but I cannot fathom having three deafblind babies all at once and assuming I have their best interests at heart.

They all are individuals and they need individual attention, deafblind or not.

We've no right telling any parent how to raise their child just because their child is DeafBlind like us.

We do not have a right to know how the DeafBlind triplets are doing simply because they were once in the media.

Your reasoning is very different than mine and I definitely would say mine is logical.

Back