Discovering Who I Am

The problem started before charter schools were even a twinkle in someone's eye. And there are charter schools that are Deaf Schools.
Yeah but in my state we have a question on our ballot to vote for more charter schools , I was talking about kids that needs extra help in school that aren't deaf or hoh . I know I grew in the 1950's and deaf and hoh children were thought be 'crazy 'or 'retarded ' and locked up a psych ward.
I saw my audi yesterday and spoke to him about this and he said teachers have too many students in their class and if there 2 kids falling behind the teacher doesn't what to deal with them . It's the parent that have to advocate for their parents , once in awhile there will be teachers that do take an interest in their student . A teacher gave me hearing test after I failed first grade for the second time.

I don't think charter schools were a thing where I went to school. We had public schools and Catholic schools.

In third grade I told the teacher I couldn't hear her after she had read a story. My seat was in the back of the classroom. She told me to pay more attention or something like that. She had me stay in during recess to read it myself. I didn't want to miss recess more than I didn't want to miss whatever story. So I decided that was a one time thing.

There was actually support for kids with special needs of all kinds at my school district. That's a big thing that I feel like I missed out on. Someone has to identify whatever needs to begin with. I guess that part hasn't changed much.

I don't think charter schools were a thing where I went to school. We had public schools and Catholic schools.

In third grade I told the teacher I couldn't hear her after she had read a story. My seat was in the back of the classroom. She told me to pay more attention or something like that. She had me stay in during recess to read it myself. I didn't want to miss recess more than I didn't want to miss whatever story. So I decided that was a one time thing.

There was actually support for kids with special needs of all kinds at my school district. That's a big thing that I feel like I missed out on. Someone has to identify whatever needs to begin with. I guess that part hasn't changed much.

Man, I feel for you. I was identified early on, and got a lot of the support I needed. But here's an interesting thought. When you're Deaf and a kid in a regular mainstreamed program (usually this effect is very pronounced with hearing teachers, Deaf teachers know better), people give you all this attention because to them, you're a "special kid" -- it sets up expectations in the child. We get away with things other students would or we get praised for little things, like tying our shoes right as middle school students. Behavior patterns get established.

Then you grow up into an adult and run face-first into the brick wall known as the real world. No transition period.

It's a variation of the classic case of the brilliant kid who gets A's easily because he's (or she's) naturally smart. Everything comes easy, then he goes to college and something normal happens, like his girlfriend breaks up with him. He doesn't have the coping skills to deal with these things because everything was so easy up to that point. Next thing you know, he's pushing carts at the supermarket.

Last edited:
Man, I feel for you. I was identified early on, and got a lot of the support I needed. But here's an interesting thought. When you're Deaf and a kid in a regular mainstreamed program (usually this effect is very pronounced with hearing teachers, Deaf teachers know better), people give you all this attention because to them, you're a "special kid" -- it sets up expectations in the child. We get away with things other students would or we get praised for little things, like tying our shoes right as middle school students. Behavior patterns get established.

Then you grow up into an adult and run face-first into the brick wall known as the real world. No transition period.

It's a variation of the classic case of the brilliant kid who gets A's easily because he's (or she's) naturally smart. Everything comes easy, then he goes to college and something normal happens, like his girlfriend breaks up with him. He doesn't have the coping skills to deal with these things because everything was so easy up to that point. Next thing you know, he's pushing carts at the supermarket.

I feel like I went through a similar process. I learned ways to navigate through school and try not to stick out too much. After that it's a like I was faced with all the things that normal people have been preparing for which I haven't because I'd been trying to keep my head above the water.

Back