Disappointed with strawberries this season!

Kai Onca

Reaction score
I've not had one batch of strawberries that tasted halfway like real strawberries.I've asked family members if they scored a decent batch and all said no.

They smelled okay, looked like real strawberries but when I bite into them, no dice not the sweet savory flavor explosion, zip, zlich, nada. I've tried different stores for few weeks now and maybe got two boxes that were a quarter tolerable..... but the other 10 boxes were all duds. No flavor at all!

but the blueberries i've had the last few weeks... so savory!

Anyone got the same issues?

Yes ! I only had strawberries once this spring. As you know there been a horrible drought in California and a lot of fires so they're not able to grow any food and Florida had colder than normal weather and lost strawberries crop too . I was told at Market Basket it's going to hard to buy strawberries this summer. I can only find organic strawberries which are a rip off , $4.00 for a small box or a 2 lbs box for $5.00 . That is too many for me.

All of the ones I've got so far have been super sour or almost gone bad. I adore strawberries but I might have to pick a new favorite fruit for a bit

Where are you getting the strawberries? If they are not locally grown, chances are they are enhanced for transport just like tomatoes. Tomatoes are actually ripened using gases, they are shipped green. There is no such thing as a fresh tomato on the international market. I don't think the tomatoes taste too bad, but they are certainly manipulated.

They are just starting east of St. Louis in Illinois. The first mention in my local newspaper said "If all goes well, the strawberries should last for another three weeks." They also mentioned that although there were some exceptionally cold days this past winter there was less injury than many feared. L'Amour had the most damage. Those that were in the picture that was in the paper are Earllglow and Honeoye.

Where are you getting the strawberries? If they are not locally grown, chances are they are enhanced for transport just like tomatoes. Tomatoes are actually ripened using gases, they are shipped green. There is no such thing as a fresh tomato on the international market. I don't think the tomatoes taste too bad, but they are certainly manipulated.

Some strawberries are dyed red , I brought some once and the inside white was white and the outside of the strawberries where red and weird looking . I can't afford to buy local strawberries , they cost twice as much . We have a farmer market and they want almost $6.00 for a box of berries and one tomato it over $1.00 .

My strawberries are just starting but looking good so far. hopefully they will have flavor! ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1400796860.280200.jpg
Blueberry bush is more like a twig this year. ImageUploadedByAllDeaf1400796949.708409.jpg
Blackberries and raspberries are growing like weeds and I have to keep trimming them.

Our local strawberries are delicious. Hubby picks them up from a local farmer on his way home from work.

I've not had one batch of strawberries that tasted halfway like real strawberries.I've asked family members if they scored a decent batch and all said no.

They smelled okay, looked like real strawberries but when I bite into them, no dice not the sweet savory flavor explosion, zip, zlich, nada. I've tried different stores for few weeks now and maybe got two boxes that were a quarter tolerable..... but the other 10 boxes were all duds. No flavor at all!

but the blueberries i've had the last few weeks... so savory!

Anyone got the same issues?

Have you ever tried growing strawberries hanging baskets ?

Our local strawberries are delicious. Hubby picks them up from a local farmer on his way home from work.

Same here, I know a guy who sells box of strawberries for $20 on the corner of the non-busy road.... I get it all the times (usually early mornings to avoid pollution on strawberries LOL) to make smoothies, cake, etc... you may think $20 is crazy, but they are huge and best strawberries I ever taste in my lifetime.

Some strawberries are dyed red , I brought some once and the inside white was white and the outside of the strawberries where red and weird looking . I can't afford to buy local strawberries , they cost twice as much . We have a farmer market and they want almost $6.00 for a box of berries and one tomato it over $1.00 .

Interesting. I did not know that..

Various food store and one was from Walmart around northwest suburbs of Chicago

Back