"Disabled"

annadilynn

Reaction score
Okay, one looses job because she cant hear.....one applies for ssda because she lost her job and cannot get another because she cant hear.....ss says she isnt disabled.....WTF

Okay, one looses job because she cant hear.....one applies for ssda because she lost her job and cannot get another because she cant hear.....ss says she isnt disabled.....WTF

So she goes to VR and gets retrained and placed in a job.

Bott is right. VR would have to check thorough everything before the decision will be finalized to get job back or in a different position or not. It depends on what situation would be.

VR is a good thing. We have DARS, they work specifically with D/deaf or hoh. Some employers here wont hire anyway. That is when Advocacy helps.

DVR here <I think same as DARS> helped me w/diagnosis of LD -

There is a difference between being "disabled" and being discriminated against because of the misconceptions many employers have. :)

What exactly is VR? Do they help you find a job? What kind of retraining? I'm clueless.

I agree very much that there is a difference.

VR= Vocational Rehabilitation. In my case, as this was during college, they helped financially <based on family's ability to pay> with a variety of things, including purchasing clothes and shoes for interviews. At the time, DVR offered job training, placement assistance, help to get things like adaptive equipment <I got a special calculator for people with LD> - what they do<did? - not sure of of how they're doing financially themselves at moment> is based on the individual need of the client, including type of need, ability to work or need job coaching or additional skills, financial background of client and/or their family and so forth. They can act as liason between client and where client works and provide referrals for more specialized services, such as birth-to-three programs, payeeship services and the like.

What exactly is VR? Do they help you find a job? What kind of retraining? I'm clueless.

Yes, that's exactly what VR -- vocational rehabilitation. It's a service that helps you to find a job and become employed. They do everything from giving you the accommodations you need to educating employers about what kind of work people will certain disabilities can do given the right accommodations. They also help to provide you with the schooling necessary to achieve your working goal (although this may vary on the state, I'm not sure). Once they place you in a job, they make sure the workplace is entirely accessible (e.g. elevator and ramps for a wheelchair user).

Appeal. It is during this appeal process that you get to explain (and they'll listen) your inability to work as a result of your deafness. Of course, you have to have proof of your disability.

Dont mind me y'all. I am just in pain these days...get a lil crabby at moments...its just that because we all dont walk with a limp or because we can talk as well as any hearing person....we could not possible actually have anything wrong with us....
this group is full of wonderful caring individuals, and I am thankful that we are able to come here and voice our feelings..even though some people think we are wrong ...its not a question of right or wrong..its how we are made to feel on a daily basis...
-----thanks for being here i do appreciate!

annadilynn,

Ignore people if they can't hire you because you are deaf as disabled. It's full of BS!!

I can believe Deaf people can do anything they want. Period!!!

DVR here <I think same as DARS> helped me w/diagnosis of LD -

yeah dvr is same as dars. very helpful people. dars in Del Rio saved my bacon and helped me to get to Washington....

id say go to dvr dars vr and get advocacy before going back to ss office. if nothing else they can assist you in getting in with ssd (i think...):hmm:

Many deaf people feel like they are not disabled but yet, society keeps disabling them.

Back