Disabled work suggestions please

Danb

Reaction score
I have some very strange health problems. There is pretty much no stable healthy week for me. One day my health issues can be severe and the next gone.

Needless to say it makes working a standard work week impossible. I can't even figure out the minimum amount of hours i can actually work a week. Some weeks i am completely immobile. I definitely can't figure out which days i can work either.

Can you guys give me suggestions of what to do for employment?

I figured some kind of internet product sales business might be good. I have no idea which product though.

I was thinking computer sales but from what i've researched the future of personal computing is pretty bleak. I'd be throwing away startup funds.

Doing some kind of sales would allow me to adjust my schedule around my health. I wouldn't have deadlines, or specific hours. And the only one that needs to rely on my output is me.

Thanks for any help.

How about some kind of office work for a company like Manpower where you could work when you felt ok, but turn down assignments when ill?

How about some kind of office work for a company like Manpower where you could work when you felt ok, but turn down assignments when ill?

They have office work?

:lol:

There was a two year period in my life where I did nothing but got up at 4am six days a week and hope that I get picked up for day labor. It was a rough time for us for sure as obviously, we were very broke. Talk about rough times and doing what you can to scrounge up dinner for the family. That experience definitely molded a big part of who I am.

Thanks, i'll check that website out.

Bottesini, was it you that had the autoimmune disorders like I do? You replied in one of my other threads. Are you able to work? If you do how do you work around it?

I was doing freelance multimedia design for a while. I could make my hours. I couldn't keep up with it. I never knew when it would hit.

If i quoted a week to complete the job and i was hit with 3 days of severe inflammation, the job would go too long.

I was also working as a subcontractor artist. If i couldn't finish the job, other people would lose out on money too. That happened a couple times with my sister in law. Plenty of sour grapes with them now. :)

Bottesini, also how do you deal with family members? I am getting a lot of "flack" from them because I can't get control of my health problems. Do you have any advice on how to deal with them?

NitroHonda, what happened back then? Why couldn't you find work?

Bottesini, was it you that had the autoimmune disorders like I do? You replied in one of my other threads. Are you able to work? If you do how do you work around it?

I was doing freelance multimedia design for a while. I could make my hours. I couldn't keep up with it. I never knew when it would hit.

If i quoted a week to complete the job and i was hit with 3 days of severe inflammation, the job would go too long.

I was also working as a subcontractor artist. If i couldn't finish the job, other people would lose out on money too. That happened a couple times with my sister in law. Plenty of sour grapes with them now. :)

Bottesini, also how do you deal with family members? I am getting a lot of "flack" from them because I can't get control of my health problems. Do you have any advice on how to deal with them?

Well... it wasn't that I couldn't find work. I did. I just had to go to the day labor places like Manpower and Labor Ready. It was just a combination of many factors but primarily had to do with us relocating to Austin. I had to find a completely new career as I quit my job to move here. In the meantime, I can't sit at home running up the bills now can I? Day labor... no brainer. I just didn't realize that I would be working there for nearly two years after feeling the effects of the tanked economy in addition to watching everybody fighting over who was first at the unemployment benefits line.

Eff that.

Must have been difficult. I remember when i first got laid off. They said "get it under control and you can come back." It never did. it was very difficult finding work. I had to take a pizza delivery job. But it paid well. And i was able to make enough to buy the multimedia software. Then switched jobs to that. Strange how life works sometimes.

Must have been difficult. I remember when i first got laid off. They said "get it under control and you can come back." It never did. it was very difficult finding work. I had to take a pizza delivery job. But it paid well. And i was able to make enough to buy the multimedia software. Then switched jobs to that. Strange how life works sometimes.

Yep! For sure!

Best wishes on your journey.

Yes that is me. And I am retired early at this point.
I had some really bad luck with my health in the last five years, that has pretty much sidelined me.

As for your family, I am really sorry. My family is very good to me, and they have watched as things went wrong, and understand very well I can't wave a wand and be perfect.

Ok thank you.

Kind of wondering if that's where i am now... verge of retirement. Eeek... @ 38 yrs old. How old were you when you had to stop working completely? If that is too personal, please just ignore it.

Ok thank you.

Kind of wondering if that's where i am now... verge of retirement. Eeek... @ 38 yrs old. How old were you when you had to stop working completely? If that is too personal, please just ignore it.

No that's ok. I am 56 now, and I think 52 when I stopped working, but the reason for retirement is my Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome, which rendered me legally blind, so in addition to everything else, I just couldn't go on.

I did pet care and pet sitting, which involved quite a bit of driving and I don't do that anymore.

I'm sorry you have to go through that. Is that related to the hearing problem?

I'm sorry you have to go through that. Is that related to the hearing problem?

No. Completely unrelated and coincidental. Histoplasmosis is common to people who have had exposure to bats, or even walked through a field in the Midwest.

In a small percentage , people like me develop Ocular Histoplasmosis Syndrome, which forms lesions on the retina, and eventually causes scarring on the retina and macula, and blindness.

There is no way we can answer your question without knowing what health issue you are. You are NOT obligated to disclose your health issues and you can have it remain private.

Please understand that this country is based on capitalism. You are actually competing against millions of able bodies that are currently out of work. Plus more of these who are still working are looking for better job which does make them harder (for people like us) finding a job. Most employers actually prefers hire somebody that is currently employed than to hire unemployment without proven track record. Point is most companies needs employees in order to make money. If employee were below performance, companies will stand to lose money. They don't want to lose money.. If I were you which I am actually doing right now, try to figure out how to get better again and fix our health issues and get our lives back together. I know that I could do as much as I could, but not enough to meet the demand.

You see, I have the right not to share my health issues but I do have serious health issue and I could go for part time and work less hours and take as much breaks I need to relieve the issues that I have, this is NOT going to work for my previous employer and is NOT fair to them and their customers as well. My previous employers needs somebody to be there so that customers don't have to wait too long to get respond or get something they needed, think as IF nobody is there, what do you think customers is going to do? Bye bye ACME corp, Im looking other companies that serves me well (At same time customers don't give damn about company's employees). You see where employers stands?

The truth is, everybody is replaceable in America, no one is 100% immune from being replaced. So, follow my ass, focus on your health first and try to find answer to why you hare having this and that health issues and get them fixed and you and I can return to work. I have already made several arrangements and HOPEFULLY I can return to work this coming October or November. I had to "Fire" few doctors that failed to help me, and now seeking other doctors and hopefully they find the answer and able to resolve the issues and I would love to work where I used to work til I actually would at retirement age. I can't stay at home too much already and I can't stand that.
Enuff of talk, hope you get well soon!

It is not just unemployed Americans you are competing against add in hundreds of millions of low wage workers in other countries. Thank the US government for that.

No, you can not blame exclusively against government. There is nothing Government could do to prevent that..

Much more than half of human workforces is taking over by machines. Who is going to stop companies from switching labor to machines? Government can't do that And whats the advantage of using machines over human for these companies? Oh plenty!

1. Cheap to run
2. They don't call in sick
3. If they are broken, they can be fixed or replaced at much faster rate
4. Machine can do same job at same amount of time equilvent to 1,000 employees that could
5. Much more

Blaming on outsourcing? I don't think this is the real issue.

It is not just unemployed Americans you are competing against add in hundreds of millions of low wage workers in other countries. Thank the US government for that.

Ok thank you.

I have really challenging health issues too. I loved my job and managed to work there for 20 years. Near the end it was such a struggle to make it through the day. I would get to my car and cry in pain wondering how I would make the drive home. When I finally got home I was miserable and spent my "family time" in bed. I kept getting worse and finally had to leave my job. Years went by and then I got really sick and went completely deaf both ears.

Some of us just can't work, believe me that was very depressing for me. I sure hope you can find some kind of work you can manage. If not I hope you can accept the fact that you just physically can't do it.

Bottesini, ok i understand now. Which autoimmune disorders do you have? I had rheumatoid arthritis 1-18 y/o, then autoimmune hearing loss 18-30, now autoimmune hives 24-38.

Angel1989, Like you said, I think accepting that i can't work is just what i'm going to come to grips with. I hope my family can do the same soon.

Lately i've been thinking about what age i'll live until. I read somewhere that people with my kind of disease have a shorter life span. The article said that the more autoimmune diseases you have the shorter the life span.

I know that's pretty depressing to bring up, but i've had 3 AI diseases. That were all considered severe. The article also said that if you have 1 AI disease you have %50 of getting a second, %75 of getting a 3rd, but only %90 for a 4th autoimmune disease.

So it makes me wonder if i'm kind of in my last stretch of life. Maybe i should consider this my retirement and just enjoy the last 10-20 years without working.

What i mean is, if i'm 38 (soon 39) and i'm expected to live only until 60, then that pretty much works out to the same amount of retirement years as someone who retires at 60 and lives to 80 years old.

Do you all think that is a strange way to look at it?

Bottesini, ok i understand now. Which autoimmune disorders do you have? I had rheumatoid arthritis 1-18 y/o, then autoimmune hearing loss 18-30, now autoimmune hives 24-38.

Angel1989, Like you said, I think accepting that i can't work is just what i'm going to come to grips with. I hope my family can do the same soon.

Lately i've been thinking about what age i'll live until. I read somewhere that people with my kind of disease have a shorter life span. The article said that the more autoimmune diseases you have the shorter the life span.

I know that's pretty depressing to bring up, but i've had 3 AI diseases. That were all considered severe. The article also said that if you have 1 AI disease you have %50 of getting a second, %75 of getting a 3rd, but only %90 for a 4th autoimmune disease.

So it makes me wonder if i'm kind of in my last stretch of life. Maybe i should consider this my retirement and just enjoy the last 10-20 years without working.

What i mean is, if i'm 38 (soon 39) and i'm expected to live only until 60, then that pretty much works out to the same amount of retirement years as someone who retires at 60 and lives to 80 years old.

Do you all think that is a strange way to look at it?
I have rheumatoid arthritis and gout. I have hives, but no doctor ever mentioned it being an auto immune problem.

I have rheumatoid arthritis and gout. I have hives, but no doctor ever mentioned it being an auto immune problem.

Yeah your hives are probably autoimmune, because you have the RA and Gout. Unless you know of triggers of your hives. Do you have to take an immune suppressant?

For mine cigarette smoke, too much heat, sun, tomatoes, chocolate and a few other food, definitely make my hives worse. I have the hives head to toe all day everyday. Only thing that helps is immune suppressants. When i say help, i mean "help full", not actually gets rid of them, but reduces them.

The hives pretty much randomly go berzerk. There is nothing that reduces them when they do. They are severe, large welts. Mostly berzerk at night, which makes sleep non-existent, but sometimes during the day. Impossible to concentrate on work when i get them, or when i've been up all night from them.

The hives are the things keeping me from working full time.

Back