Disability-related vocabulary?

ismi

Reaction score
I'm HOH, and primarily oral, but learning to sign. I've found Michigan State's ASL Browser dictionary to be a useful resource, but it is understandably somewhat limited.

Specifically, I'm looking for disability related vocabulary - things like dwarf(ism), wheelchair, accessible and so on. Medical vocabulary would be a plus (cervical, osteotomy, occlusion, etc), but the disability vocabulary is my primary focus right now. Does anyone know where I could find these, either online or off? Ordinarily, I would ask a local Deafie about this, but that's not currently an option. Too, it would be nice to have this available whenever I need it, rather than coming up with a lengthy list and asking over and over, "how do I sign this?"

I'll finish off with a more specific question. A lot of disability related vocabulary in spoken English varies in its acceptability. I.e., I consider "cripple" to be offensive, while "handicapped" is generally acceptable, and (IMHO) "disabled" is preferred. Similarly, I am a dwarf or short statured - not a midget; I am a wheelie, a wheelchair user, or (if I'm in a jocular mood) wheelchair-freed, but I am never wheelchair bound. Can anyone comment on whether similar debates to these ongoing in Deaf/ASL communities? Do Deaf with disabilities have a wide variety of signs to choose from, or is this enough of a niche area that there are only a few signs, or even no universal signs (as I am told is the case in areas like higher-level physics and math)?

Thanks in advance.

Okay, as for medically related vocab, Random house publishes an ASL medical dictionary. They also have several others (legal, computer, general, etc). For dwarf, i've generally just seen "person short (shown by hand)" and "(referent point) wheelchair" or "(referent point) uses wheechair" for what you would call a wheelie.
I think HC (handicapped) has about the same meaning in the deaf world as the hearing world, though usually when deaf people use it (unless they are talking about how hearing people use it) when they sign it they are referrring to "disabilities" other than deafness, (blind, uses a wheelchair, CP, etc.). Warning: HC can also mean Homecoming.

Thanks. The disabled vs. Deaf distinction is one I was aware of, though I'm still confused by parts of it. That's a whole 'nother thread, though.

What does the sign for wheelchair look like (assuming it's simple enough to describe ...)? I'm assuming it's not just a direct [wheel][chair] translation from English.

wheelchair is signed by acting as if you are the one in the wheelchair pushing the wheels to move. I believe that if youu signed 'wheel' than 'chair' that would be signed english.

Back