Disability for obesity related health problems

People should be careful about judging if they should get SSI or not. Remember, There are plenty of people who didn't take great care of their health and are on disability. Smokers, people who are not overweight but don't watch their cholesterol, people who take too many risks, drink too much, etc. All those cause health problems and they end up on disability. Overweight people are not exceptional if they have health problems result of it.

To Oceanbreeze: ((Hugs)) I not slim either.

I hate to make judgements but there was this lady in front of me who was using food stamps and she was using it to buy bags and bags of chips. I dunno if it is for a party or for her own diet. I just thought it was odd to buy so much junk on food stamps. Oh well...

I saw a lady that had a pile of TV dinners in her cart at a store as well. Sounds boring. :zzz:

People should be careful about judging if they should get SSI or not. Remember, There are plenty of people who didn't take great care of their health and are on disability. Smokers, people who are not overweight but don't watch their cholesterol, people who take too many risks, drink too much, etc. All those cause health problems and they end up on disability. Overweight people are not exceptional if they have health problems result of it. .

Those people shouldn't get disability either.....

If you have bad habit and you are unable to work because your habit caused health problems, don't look at me if you can't get any money and can't take care of yourself either.

If you have bad habit and you are unable to work because your habit caused health problems, don't look at me if you can't get any money and can't take care of yourself either.

TXGolfer essentially means one thing: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

I saw a lady that had a pile of TV dinners in her cart at a store as well. Sounds boring. :zzz:

that was the states answer to me cooking due to my cerebral palsy for the first 2 weeks i got care because the meal support had not been put in place for those to weeks and it was boring

That's why I believe that we should put taxes on junk food. We cannot deny people's access to medical care because of their obesity. Food addiction is a real problem and should be treated just like other addictions.

It's harder to become obese if you don't have access to fast and cheap food. And worse, we don't put enough taxes on junk food.

If you don't eat junk food, then taxes imposed on junk food shouldn't be an issue.

TXGolfer essentially means one thing: PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY

Yes but the thing is that it's silly to expect personal responsibility when the environment plays a huge role in shaping their choices. Stop acting like it's our fault, it's also the companies fault too for marketing it aggressively and making them addicted to their products.

It's all interdependency.

Yes but the thing is that it's silly to expect personal responsibility when the environment plays a huge role in shaping their choices. Stop acting like it's our fault, it's also the companies fault too for marketing it aggressively and making them addicted to their products.

I'm briefly stepping back into this thread to agree with this point. It's a very good one. Not only is the above example true, but also, the fact that healthy food like fresh fruits and vegetables are often more expensive then junk food or canned food would be.

That's why I believe that we should put taxes on junk food. We cannot deny people's access to medical care because of their obesity. Food addiction is a real problem and should be treated just like other addictions.

It's harder to become obese if you don't have access to fast and cheap food. And worse, we don't put enough taxes on junk food.

If you don't eat junk food, then taxes imposed on junk food shouldn't be an issue.

You being a Texan like me......we already have a Tax on junk food.

:lol:

I agree with most of your posts. Yes, junk food should be taxed than healthy food. Thank God, they decided to tax more on sodas and I don't drink sodas.

Food addiction is a real problem and should be treated just like other addictions.
I had a friend who has really significent addiction issues. She was an alky and used both coke and script pills. She was sober last year....but she was still addicted to junk food. She didnt have money to pay her electricity bill but she still had money to spend on ciggerettes and chedder potato chips. (and she'd binge eat those) I think a lot of people don't understand that there ARE some people who don't have the abilty to make good decisions......like drugs or whatever have damaged their decision making abilty.

Like others said, totally depends on the cause of obesity.

I'm briefly stepping back into this thread to agree with this point. It's a very good one. Not only is the above example true, but also, the fact that healthy food like fresh fruits and vegetables are often more expensive then junk food or canned food would be.

Not only that, but much harder to access. Where I live, there is one farmer's market half an hour away that runs once a week from 9 AM to 3PM. Most people work within that window of time.

There's also a McDonald's, Wendy's, and Taco Bell all within 5 minutes walking distance of my house, all of which are open all day and most of the night through the drive-thru.

In cities it's easier to access healthy food but it's still even easier to get junk food.

Also, food addiction is the only one that can't be totally avoided. No heroin addict has to shoot up a little everyday to stay alive.

Obesity is not always preventable. There are those that have a biological cause for their obesity. They are not responsible for their obesity causing disorder, and therefore, should not be penalized for having a disorder.

Also, food addiction is the only one that can't be totally avoided. No heroin addict has to shoot up a little everyday to stay alive.

But the vast majority of heroin addicts, or any opiate addict, has to use replacement therapy in the form of methadone or Seboxone to maintain any form of recovery from the addiction. Food addiction can be managed the same way.

Not only that, but much harder to access. Where I live, there is one farmer's market half an hour away that runs once a week from 9 AM to 3PM. Most people work within that window of time.

There's also a McDonald's, Wendy's, and Taco Bell all within 5 minutes walking distance of my house, all of which are open all day and most of the night through the drive-thru.

In cities it's easier to access healthy food but it's still even easier to get junk food.

We are also forgetting that obesity is directly correlated to SES. The lower the economic category, the greater the chance for obesity. Why? Because healthier alternatives in food choices are often financially unavailable to this group. So, we penalize people for being poor? That seems to be a general consensus around here.

Back