Dis-Labeled

deTal

Reaction score
After the last 4 years of rediscovering myself as late-identified HoH / Deaf, I have been recalling many of the various negative labels I was given by teachers and others in elementary school all the through graduate school:

inattentive,
shy,
sleepy,
does not apply himself,
does talk / doesn't talk,
does not participate well in group activities
does not socialize in extra-curricular get-togethers (i.e., loud, smoky bars :eek3:)

Got some of your own dis-labels? Let's read them and weep; then kick them back to where the sun don't shine.

Yeah , kids that had LD when I was in Jr. high where called reject students.
The school threw all the students in one room then threw in a burnt out teacher that had all day expect for gym classes. We where given work below our grade level so we would 'pass' and not have to stay back. The school did not want to 'waste money ' on us! I was told in my second year of high school by the principal that I was wasting my teacher time the principal tie and taxpayers money and that should go wash toilet bowls. I wish I had told the ass to go to HELL !

I have been labeled as "special" just because I am deaf. Oh pls...

Ha! "Reject" and "felon". Good ones!

It sure did not feel good being called a reject by the teacher right in the middle of the hallway in school in front of the other students that where not

'reject' students. I was the only student in the class to finish high school .

It sure did not feel good being called a reject by the teacher right in the middle of the hallway in school in front of the other students that where not 'reject' students.

I meant "good ones" in terms of negative labels to call out and kick back to where they belong. They certainly do not feel good in the moment where you are targeted.

I was told many times in graduate school that a problem student like me did not belong there. Labeling often tells more about the person who labels than the target of the label.

Have no clue what people have "labeled" me as....if they have, then it was behind my back and not to my face....beuz....simply....I don't deal with bullies...I wipe the floor with 'em....

I've been called "special," "retarded," "stupid," "mute," and a "problem child." (eye roll) I was also told that I'd never be successful, that I'd graduate with a fourth-grade level in reading and writing, et cetera. All from one teacher, who I had for grades 1-3. As mean as this may sound, I'd love to walk up to her and tell her just how very wrong she was.

There were a lot of teachers in my day that had no business teaching in Special Ed. I'm convinced that more than a few lacked the basic qualifications and only received training in General Education. In addition to not be qualified, they were also judgmental and prejudiced against students with special needs. It was bad enough to be bullied by the general population, but to be stuck with a teacher that set the mark low for students from day one, is unacceptable. I was told by the LD department that Massachusetts is one of the worst in the country for students with special needs, but I believe that's probably true of many schools across the country.

Laura

Back