DirecTV Charges for Closed Captions

I had this problem too, It was completely ridiculous. I did upgrade to the HD box eventually only because I bought an HDTV. Even with the HDTV boxes DirecTV on-demand movies do not support closed captioning.

D-TV is a mess.

I had this problem too, It was completely ridiculous. I did upgrade to the HD box eventually only because I bought an HDTV. Even with the HDTV boxes DirecTV on-demand movies do not support closed captioning.

D-TV is a mess.

Wow, that is really disappointing. If you belong to any organizations that advocate for people with hearing loss, let them know that.

Have you put DirecTV on notice that you are not receiving captions from the on-demand movies? It's possible that they have trouble providing the advanced digital caption data with those recorded programs and that they might be sending out the analog-style caption data instead. You might need to be sure that your box has the capability of displaying analog-style caption data when you try to watch on-demand movies. Do you know for sure that DirecTV isn't providing any caption data with those movies?

I think the FCC needs to make it clear that the pay TV service providers should be providing captions for on-demand movies (or at least offer a discount for subscribers who can't use them). I personally think the pay TV service providers should also be doing much more to communicate openly to subscribers what kind of captioned content they can expect to see. It's reprehensible that the companies tend to say nothing at all to subscribers about whether an important service is captioned or not.

It's like cars. I have a faint idea of how an internal combustion engine works, but I want to be able to just turn a key and drive. I don't need to know about the innards under the hood. If something goes wrong, I get someone to fix it.

Same with the TV. I want to turn it on, and hopefully have a remote control that doesn't have more teeny tiny buttons than the space shuttle. Those of us over the age of 30 remember when our TVs got three or four channels. Now we're expected to know what S-cables and routers are, and what is compatible with HDTVs and what isn't. :hmm: I think I'll read a book and use my TV for DVDs
. :D

The older I get, the more confused I get about TVs...:giggle:

*yep, I am over 30*

The digital TV converter box have a CC mode !!! And I only paid 20 bucks for the converter box...

Now wifeys old TV is CC !!!

Wow thats great !!

Huh, Never heard of that.

Since you are already a customer for DirecTv you will have to pay for a new upgraded box for HD. But if you are a new customer you get 1 free HD Box and the regular non HD boxes are usually free.

My new HD Tv has CC built in and I was never charged for CC through DirecTV. They rock, Comcast suck.

We should NOT have to pay extra just to be able to use closed caption.

Many cable boxes are unable to decode closed caption. Only a few are, and they require additional monthly fees which are quite excessive. Cable companies often charges extra money per month for an HDTV Cable Box in addition to HD cable service. It forces US to have to pay for it in order to just view closed caption on our television sets, which should already have been a free service.

Many DVDs are encoded with closed caption, which is not the same as subtitles. We are then forced to NOT use HDMI when viewing the DVDs, and not take advantage of using the HDMI port and not being able to use their TV's full potential, which we have paid for.

Closed captioning has always been the function of the viewing device. HDMI.org's claim: "All HDMI specifications support Close Captioning (CC) and enable the rendering of CC signals between CE devices" is inaccurate and misleading. It only shows CC if the signal is pre-rendered and permanently printed to the video, which is not the same thing.

We should NOT have to pay extra just to be able to use closed caption.

HI there, I watched a DVD movie thru my Xbox 360, it's working great to view CC, the Xbox 360 already have build-in decodes. Either Subtitles and CC works on my Xbox 360, use RCA jacks it's way better. HDMI would not work for CCings.

Did anyone use NetFlix thru Xbox 360 Live does working to view CC or Stubtitles? I don't use netflix on my xbox.

Anyone use downstreaming on Blockbuster /NetFlix? Does the CC work on the downstreamed movies ? We are consdering changing our TV signals away from DirecTV in a few weeks. The DTV decoder box does have CC built in it I was pleasently surprises the DTV decoder box working on an old (preCC) TV and it had CC !! hurray

Back