Direct connect for Cochlear-do you use it for phone!

Fl885

Reaction score
I have Iphone, I do use the direct connect to listen to Ipod within Iphone, but did anyone try to use it with Iphone calls? how does this works?
I use the phone directly on my implant, but was wondering on the direct connect.
Thanks

Like you I use direct connect with my Iphone to listen to music and audiobooks. I have tried using it with the phone itself (plug in and use it as you listen with music but keep the speaking part close to your mouth to talk) I prefer to use speaker phone (iphone have this) as It's clearer in quiet room. I will only use direct connect if I have to, ie quick call to mum in busy shopping mall as the background noise is too much to use the speakerphone.

I don't have- Iphone/Ipods just TTY-UltraTch 1440. I can't use my Implant on a regular phone. Can hear the dial tone but NOT anyone speaking. Just continued using my TTY as I have over the last 15 years.

I understand from Sunnybrook/Toronto- in their 19 year experience only 1 out of 2 can shift to regular phone after their Implant operation.

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

overthepond, so you use the direct connect to hear and you put the phone close to your mouth so the other side can hear you, so the microphone can work, very interesting, I may try it.
Drphil, really? 50% only are able to use the phone, hmmm, would the fact that if the person was using the phones before give him/her great chance to use it after CI? if you do hear without looking at lips after you CI then you may be able to use the phone after CI, you need to train your brain to do it and try to take away the fear factor from using the phone as I think this is the major problem that interfere with using phone with CI

F1885> The 50% is the actual experience at Sunnybrook/Toronto over a 18 year period. As for SpeechReading re regular phones seems remote to me. I had my TTY phone since Jan/92 and became bilateral deaf in Dec/06.

I use the VCO feature to this day accessing 711.

I did discuss not being able to use my Cochlear Implant-telephone- with the audi there- just accept not being able -a somewhat "minor matter" as I had lots prior experience in using my TTY

My experience just shows not everything is "fixed with a Cochlear Implant". To me just the human variability.-brain's neuroplassity in action.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Drphil, your results are very good, it does not matter, using the phone or not as long as you are happy with what you've got, I have never used the TTY, it is amazing that we have all of these technologies that keep us going

Thanks that is my thoughts which I was fortunate to be able to use -a Cochlear Implant. Reality-not everybody can!

Implanted A B Harmony activated Aug/07

I have harmony, I use headphone call skullcandy low rider bulit in mic. It works. or me because I use t-mic. I use my Ipod toouch 4th gen and i download apps call talk a tone. I use wifi override pro mobile. it works i can talk on phone. you can get one ear bud with mic that bulit in. Its worth it. for me. it so clear i can hear music and phone ringing. so thanks to t-mic that gave me an idea. instead of direct connection because it has no bulit in mic.

Your tmic is same like what we have with Cochlear, yours is a little down in the ear, that's the only difference, it's a microphone, we have 2 with Cochlear, it's a little up, no difference, it does not means your tmic is better, nothing special about it, per my drs and several audis that I consulted with, it's just a regular microphone, I use the cell phone on my processor directly without changing to tcoil or needing a tmic or anything
The direct connect has an advantage is that it will block out all the outside noise if you want

I have harmony, I use headphone call skullcandy low rider bulit in mic. It works. or me because I use t-mic. I use my Ipod toouch 4th gen and i download apps call talk a tone. I use wifi override pro mobile. it works i can talk on phone. you can get one ear bud with mic that bulit in. Its worth it. for me. it so clear i can hear music and phone ringing. so thanks to t-mic that gave me an idea. instead of direct connection because it has no bulit in mic.

Your tmic is same like what we have with Cochlear, yours is a little down in the ear, that's the only difference, it's a microphone, we have 2 with Cochlear, it's a little up, no difference, it does not means your tmic is better, nothing special about it, per my drs and several audis that I consulted with, it's just a regular microphone, I use the cell phone on my processor directly without changing to tcoil or needing a tmic or anything
The direct connect has an advantage is that it will block out all the outside noise if you want

FL885 - how funny! Are you really worried that someone else might think that their T-mic is better than your T-mic? It almost sounds like you are jealous that others picked Advanced Bionic while you picked Cochlear.

FL885 - how funny! Are you really worried that someone else might think that their T-mic is better than your T-mic? It almost sounds like you are jealous that others picked Advanced Bionic while you picked Cochlear.

Jealous!!!, what is your problem? my results out of Cochlear is far way better than anyone ever thought how the implants will work, why would I be jealous, LOL, the reason I had to answer that is because somewhere else they keep insisting that the stupid tmic is an invention that no one ever imagined it could happen, I only wanted to clarify what I was told and explained about the difference of the tmic thing and what cochlear has by 2 top professors and 2 top audi at 2 top implant centers in USA.
So basically it's not a new thing rather than the placement of that microphone is lower, I do prefer my cochlear as I would not be happy with some plastic thing dangling out of my ear canal where I could not be able to hide it no matter what, ok now don't come back and talk about you are so proud of of you CI blah blah and you don't hide it blah blah as the subject here is not intended for this, go post a new post, no mine, and talk about your proudness ...

Jealous!!!, what is your problem? my results out of Cochlear is far way better than anyone ever thought how the implants will work, why would I be jealous, LOL, the reason I had to answer that is because somewhere else they keep insisting that the stupid tmic is an invention that no one ever imagined it could happen, I only wanted to clarify what I was told and explained about the difference of the tmic thing and what cochlear has by 2 top professors and 2 top audi at 2 top implant centers in USA.
So basically it's not a new thing rather than the placement of that microphone is lower, I do prefer my cochlear as I would not be happy with some plastic thing dangling out of my ear canal where I could not be able to hide it no matter what, ok now don't come back and talk about you are so proud of of you CI blah blah and you don't hide it blah blah as the subject here is not intended for this, go post a new post, no mine, and talk about your proudness ...

You seem quite proud of your CI. Good for you. Why would you ask me not to say that I am proud of my CI? Personally I could not care less about my CI. It's a tool and I use it. It's not pretty. It's not attractive (I think all CIs are ugly). But it does a job for me and does it well.

You would do well to worry less about what others might think.

As I mentioned many times, the t-mic on the Harmony is what makes Harmony a better SOUND processor than the N5 IMO.

N5 has many neat features, but Harmony still sounded better cause of it's mic compare to N5 shitty location of their mic (doesnt matter if it has 2 mics btw, its still on top of the processor)

But to answer OP question, I do use the wire for mp3 but it gets annoying after a while since "direct sound" gives me headaches.
I use t-coil for the phone, but most of the time i dont brother turning on the t-coil

Im jelly of you. I used to have the Harmony on my good side and used headphones and loved it. I mean I spended over $300 on really nice headphones but since I moved to the N5, the headphones arent in used anymore cause the mic of the N5 are on the outside of the pads on the headphones :( unlike the Harmony which the mic is right in center.

Back