Diner at Bobby Flay Steak Accidentally Orders a $3,750 Bottle of Wine

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Joe Lentini probably needed another drink after he discovered the bottle of wine he and his colleagues drank cost nearly $4,000. Lentini was at a business dinner at Bobby Flay Steak in Atlantic City when he ordered 2011 Screaming Eagle from a waitress who informed him the bottle cost “thirty-seven fifty.” He believed she meant $37.50 and agreed to purchase the bottle. “I asked the waitress if she could recommend something decent because I don't have experience with wine,” he said. Lentini drinks wine about once a month and approved of the bottle reached his table. "It was okay. It was good," Lentini said of the wine. "It wasn't great. It wasn't terrible. It was fine.”

The man who hosted the dinner, who declined to be identified, was shocked at the price. Lentini disputed the price with the waitress who recommended it, and the other diners sided with him. Don Chin, who sat next to Lentini, said “Joe asked the price and she said 'thirty-seven fifty,' not 'three-thousand, seven-hundred and fifty,' which is what I would have said, so we all thought it was $37.50.” When the bill came, "We all had a heart attack.”

The manager of the restaurant told Lentini the best price they could offer him was $2,200. He grudgingly split the bill with two diners who drank the bottle. Bobby Flay Steak went on the defensive after the incident. “As the leading culinary destination in this region, we consistently serve as many, if not more high-end wine and spirits without incident," executive vice president Joseph Lupo said. "In this isolated case, both the server and sommelier verified the bottle requested with the patron.” Lentini says he’s learned his lesson. "I'm going to ask for the wine list. I want to know exactly what I'm ordering," he said. "I will not ask a waitress to pick a bottle of wine.”

http://www.opposingviews.com/i/society/diner-bobby-flay-steak-accidentally-orders-3750-bottle-wine

Back