Digital Hearing aid

Digital Hearing Aids

I know they are expensive. I will be getting a new digital hearing aids on May 18th. I will be getting Resound Matrix. My hearing aids cost around $4,000. I heard some of digital hearing aids do not have volume control either, but I am not sure if mine with have them.

Many hoh are not aware that there are alternate ways of purchasing top quality hearing aids at much less than what most audiologists charge. To pay $6000 for any set of aids is ridiculous unless you have a very unusual loss and/or are physically or mentally impaired and/or require a lot of hand holding.

Costco stores sell top of the line aids for less than $1600 each with adjustment by a licensed dispenser and 100% money back guarantee.

America Hears (americahears.com) sells top quality aids over the telephone or the Internet. You send them an audiogram (cost less than $250) from a local ENT or audiologist and they set the aids and send them to you via FedX or DHL. Tweaking is either by fast FedX or instantly over the Internet. For those who are comfortable with a computer you can even program them yourself.
Also 100% 60 day guarantee. Price is often less than 50% of what the audie's charge. Top of the line BTE's typically run about $2000 a pair.

If you Google "Hearing Aids" you will find Internet discount dealers. Some have fitting and tweaking services built into the price. But be carefull of these by checking the Better Business Bureau for complaints. Saving about 40%.

Some top brand Hearing aids are available in Asia for a small fraction of what they cost here.

Why do aids cost so much in the USA when more complicated electronic products like cell phone in the ear devices sell for a tiny fraction? Ask your elected Congressman or the Department of Justice. Ed

Making your Own Hearing Aids?

I googled making your own hearing aids but only got an article on making a Bluetooth adaptor. Where can I find the article about building your own hearing aid? ilene, webmaster, http://www.firsthearingaid.com

Digital Hearing aids

ileneraku: Try posting on a more active forum like:hard of hearing advocates, www.hohadvocates.org

Gennum Corp makes the central chip DSP in a great many of the different brands. And there are various suppliers of cases, mikes, receivers, etc. that have on line catalogs. The problem you will have is that they are set up to sell in large lots.

You will be amazed at how cheap the parts are for an advanced hearing aid. A very small fraction of what the conumer pays. If you see these parts prices you might get the idea that something is wrong with the USA retail prices and unfair about the restrictive government regulations that dictate the way they are distributed here. Ed

Back