Digital Hearing aid

daffy93

Reaction score
What is difference between digital hearing aids vs analog hearing aids? Do they have volume controller or it has to be setup by your audiologist? thanks

Well I will tell you that most people "Do NOT Like Digitals", but they'll tell you the exact opposite and say everyone loves them, NOT TRUE!

Digitals have this computer circuitry thing in them, there's also ABSOLUTELY NO VOLUME CONTROL EITHER", because they can't do that with digitals, for example the Bernafon ones I have sitting in the drawer, you turn the volume but there's no stop point you can keep turning and turning forever and never really know where you are!

They tell you digitals cut down on the noise sure.......except the noise isn't as great as the old analong hearing aids.

It's a money making business, you can create and make your own hearing aids for a mere $100 bucks with things from Cdn. Tire and Home Hardware. The instructions are on the net, just google!

Also, digital hearing aids are ridiclously expensive and don't have much function like the analog hearing aids do. I'd stick with them because I can turn down the volume if it's too loud for me.

Dannie said:
Digitals have this computer circuitry thing in them, there's also ABSOLUTELY NO VOLUME CONTROL EITHER", because they can't do that with digitals, for example the Bernafon ones I have sitting in the drawer, you turn the volume but there's no stop point you can keep turning and turning forever and never really know where you are!

That's odd ... I'm wearing Oticon DF2's right now - digitals - and I could *swear* I feel a volume control back there. Yup, I can make it quieter, or louder, or leave it as is.

Some don't like 'em. Many do. Just a matter of personal preference, there's no reason to bash them just because you're disappointed in the digitals you tried. In my case, I hear a lot better with digital than analog.

I have the analog hearing aids and prefer to stick with them.. Almost got the digital hearing aids but then when I talked to a few people that didn't like them as well so Im going to take their advice about it.. Not going to be risky about it and then turn around and buy another set of hearing aids that are the analog hearing aids, which I will not have all that money to buy it twice. So I would prefer to stick to the ones I have since I like to Volume control on it and etc... Just like I'm asking around about the Cochlear implant so far everyone loves freedom.... But I haven't asked enough to see which brand is to get because I def don't want to be stuck with one that I won't like.. So if I would you just ask around more people and see what they think or you can try out the digital hearing and see if you like them. It all depends on the person if he/shse likes it or not.... :dunno:

ismi said:
That's odd ... I'm wearing Oticon DF2's right now - digitals - and I could *swear* I feel a volume control back there. Yup, I can make it quieter, or louder, or leave it as is.

Some don't like 'em. Many do. Just a matter of personal preference, there's no reason to bash them just because you're disappointed in the digitals you tried. In my case, I hear a lot better with digital than analog.
Just like I said it depends on the person... It's all good that some people do like them... I almost got them not long ago but they perfer me to stick with the analog hearing aids since my hearing is awful... that I shold be conern about a CI and like I told someone on here that posted the thread,
It depends on the person and maybe start asking around to see how lot of people like them or don't.. or even try them on for a couple days, I believe that you can wear new hearing aids for like 30 day free trial... If some places allow that... Mine allows it. Which isn't a biggie for me since they won't order me digital hearing aids since of my hearin. My old ones broke into pieces and then loan the hearings aids for me to borrow untill the 28th os this month... again it all depends on the person, and Im glad it actually works for you :) Thats great tho!

:angel:

I'm a long time analog user and are going to switch to digitals in a few months :)

I tried digitals at a seller's office and I liked it.. The digital had more clear sound than analog for sure .. ( I'm a super power hearing aid candidate, BTW )

Definitly gotta experiment. I've heard digis can be overrated.....like a lot of the hype seems to be from the "Gotta have latest technology" school. I am happy with my analogs (and I can hear A TON with them!)

deafdyke said:
Definitly gotta experiment. I've heard digis can be overrated.....like a lot of the hype seems to be from the "Gotta have latest technology" school. I am happy with my analogs (and I can hear A TON with them!)
You're happy with your analog because you have conductive loss.. so increase in volume is of great help to you .. but I have sensori neural loss.. and it isn't enough for me just to turn volume up.. so I need properly programmed aids.. and I need a hearing aid that can adjust itself to both quiet and noise for better understanding speech. This is possible only with digital technology.

Digital Hearing Aids

Yes, I am Sensorineural Hearing Loss with moderate to severe hearing loss. I need to understand someone's speech too. I have trouble understanding someone's speech and my audiologist thinks I should try this digital hearing aid and I hope it will decline my hearing loss. I lost more hearing from previous hearing test and she want to watch my hearing loss when I get this digital hearing aids.

I am little nervous to get this digital hearings since I have been wearing analog hearing aids since I was 3. I will give this a shot and improve my speech.

Volume in the digital hearing aids

Does these digital hearing aids have volume control switch? Do I have to go my audiologist all the time to change something on the computer to the hearing aids?

Dannie, i agree with you. When i first worn my digital hearing aids.. its sounds about the same as analong hearing aid. The digital sounds bit more clearer than analong but just little bit (TINY TINY bit ). I was dispointed abuot that and the noise.. well not much difference.

Also i dont like digital because digital often cuts off the sound (constantly off/on) itself for some reason (such as where there is too many noise). In my opinion, its not worth it. I rather to have analong for a cheaper price.

Does these digital hearing aids have volume control switch?
Some digital hearing do have a small switch volume control. Mine do but the downward about this is that it takes time to change volume once you move the switch.

question

Do I have to go see my audiologist all the time to setup the sound or when I have problem since it will be part of her's computer to program my hearing aids?

but I have sensori neural loss.. and it isn't enough for me just to turn volume up.. so I need properly programmed aids.. and I need a hearing aid that can adjust itself to both quiet and noise for better understanding speech. This is possible only with digital technology.
Um, no.......my friend has a mixed loss (both sn and conductive) and she says that top of the line analogs are just as good as digitals!
Also, Vampy has SN loss, and he has said he likes analogs better then digitals!

deafdyke said:
Um, no.......my friend has a mixed loss (both sn and conductive) and she says that top of the line analogs are just as good as digitals!
Also, Vampy has SN loss, and he has said he likes analogs better then digitals!

I tried the digitals at its seller's office.. it had more clear sound than that of my old analog..I especially liked to hear better my own voice.. it was amazing !!!

Of course, everyone has different experience..

My audigram lies between 70 to 105 dBL and it isn't linear.
My loss is of reverse slope type and linear amplification is disturbing me.. Loud sounds are too loud and soft sounds are too soft :werd:
I need non linear amplification..
I need a properly programmed super power digital aid.

I'm going to switch to digital in a few months.. looking forward to it :whistle:

Do I have to go see my audiologist all the time to setup the sound or when I have problem since it will be part of her's computer to program my hearing aids?

if you want the sound suits you better or you're not comfortable with your sound, then yes you have to go there so they can adjust or repair your digital hearing aid.

Digital hearing aids offer much better control of the sound then possible with the analog system. Far better compression. Precise limiting of very loud sounds.

In addition highly directional microphones are available to reduce noise in resturaunts etc.

Special digital noise circuits markedly reduce annoying sounds such as motor, car, or other constant repetitive sounds.

While simple analog aids can be useful digitals offer far superior sound quality together with up to 4 special programs for different situations such as Music, noisy places, quiet one on one, etc.

Many digitals have volume controls. Ed

To answer question of do I have to go to an Audiologist office for adjustment of my new aids.

No . There is a way to buy excellent hearing aids over the Internet or by telephone. A company called America Hears offers high quality aids at about half of what an Audiologist charges. You send them your audiogram and they program the new aids and send them to you via FedX or DHL.

You have your choice of returning them for reprogramming (48 hour turnaround), or if you use a computer they can re-program instantly over the Internet.

If you are so inclined you can even program them yourself using your computer. Fabulous idea.

They also offer 100% money back 60 day guarantee. (No I am not connected to America Hears....just a very satisfied customer. Ed

Hi Everyone,
I have just joined the forum today. Was having a browse and came across this post that interested me.
My audiologist has advised me to invest in digital hearing aids also. I do not know much about them at all. All i know is that they will cost me around $6000!!! That is a lot of money. I have been saving but still have a long way to go as i have only reached around $1500 so far :(
It was interesting to find out that not ALL digitals have volume control. I will definitely need to have volume control so thanks for bringing that to my attention.
I think i have a lot to learn about digitals.

Lesley45 said:
My audiologist has advised me to invest in digital hearing aids also. I do not know much about them at all. All i know is that they will cost me around $6000!!! That is a lot of money. I have been saving but still have a long way to go as i have only reached around $1500 so far :(

same here , buddy :(
I've been saving money since july 2005 :(
you're not alone :hug:
take care :)

Back