Different signs for same word depending on Deaf/English/location

podiecat

Reaction score
I am quite HOH and have been trying so hard to learn ASL for several years now. I go through phases of feeling like I'm making progress and then overwhelmed with feeling like I will never be able to improve my real-life signing and understanding.

I have not done well with actual classes because I forget everything the minute I walk out the door. I seem to do well with Lifeprint online classes but get so confused and frustrated with the differences in signs between my Deaf tutor and too many signs from the online courses I study.

My question is... does anyone know of an ASL online or book dictionary that shows the more New England version of signs rather than the western Lifeprint or signingsavvy signs?

I know that practicing more with the local Deaf would be best but other than my Deaf tutor I have not been able to make that happen. I seem to need videos I can replay over and over again to pry into my thick brain. And I tend to remember signs the first way I learn them.

Any local word sign videos?

Thanks.....

There are regional variations to some signs but not enough to make an ASL conversation incomprehensible for people from different geographical regions. It's the same as with hearing people and English. Just because New Englanders say "soda" and Midwesterners say "pop" conversation doesn't come to a halt.

I think you're stressing over regional variations too much.

Are you sure that they're all regional variations and not a mix of ASL and SEE signs? Can you give some examples?

Hi Reba, Thanks for your reply and the links.

I do understand and agree about the regional differences. I think it is more ASL vs SEE. I had assumed Dr Bill Vicars and his wonderful Lifeprint.com and new ASL.tc were solid ASL but my tutor is correcting my signs often, telling me that many signs I've learned from Lifeprint are too English. Unfortunately I forget the corrections and keep going back to the sign I originally learned.

I'm so exhausted right now I can't even remember the many word signs as examples. I know that people who are fluent ASL should be able to understand, even with the different signs, but I am far from fluent and struggle with especially the receptive part. My 60 year old brain cells are not exactly onboard or making this easy! LOL.

I am really enjoying ASL.tc but am frustrated. I do check many ASL video sites comparing the same word and find it interesting to see the sign differences. The one I just found in the link below seems to be really good.

ASL Browser
Yay! I just realized I can save the word videos from that ASL Browser!

I'll also say that if you've only been learning for a few years then you're still a beginner. General rule of thumb is that it takes at least 10-years of concerted effort to master a skill, so don't become frustrated if you don't sign like a native after a few years.

For that matter, I've taken 3-years of college level ASL and interpreting courses, and I still consider myself a beginner!

maybe it is a little more regional... im a little farther south than you in delaware but most of the signs on lifeprint (i started out on there too) is the same as the ASL users I know use. he does show words like and thats rarely used but otherwise my Deaf teacher and friends agree with his signs

I'm not fluent either, but if you come across any signs and want to know how they're signed in Mass, I can probably help you out. In general, if Lifeprint has a variation with a letter handshape and one without, the one without is more 'proper' but I can tell you that the Deaf community in my neck of the woods is very relaxed and uses lots of variations.

One other thing to keep in mind. You will most likely be signing with people more fluent than you. If you sign red the 'english' way, they'll still know what you mean :) After a year or two of seeing the common variations you'll learn them too.

Don't be so hard on yourself, just keep at it :)

Back