Different sign languages

Katluc

Reaction score
As someone who is gradually losing my hearing, I was wondering whether it would be fun/necessary to start to learn a sign language. I looked on you tube and the app store but to be honest, I'm not any more knowledgeable than I was before. If anything, I'm more confused. Maybe you can help ?
I live in Denmark, I'm English and my Husband is German. We speak three languages in our home on a daily basis :shock:. I looked up the differences between some of the different sign languages ( ASL, BSL, International, German, Swedish and Danish ) and they're all languages in their own right. What do you all suggest would be best for me to learn and can any of you recommend any good apps or you tube channels ?

You should probably start with the sign language that is most commonly used within the Deaf community where you live. That way, you will have other signers with whom you can communicate. Since you're used to being multilingual, you can later pick up other sign languages as needed, just like you did with spoken languages.

Since you live in Denmark, start with the sign language used by Deaf Danes, unless you're planning on moving to another country soon.

Reba's advice is the best you could get. The community you are in is the most important.

Back