different angle

sarahjean

Reaction score
Hey this may be weird and I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be deaf to be on here, but I am not deaf. I am learning asl and my friend/coworker is deaf. I am passionate about asl and hoping one day to be either teach sign language or translate it. I also, possibly because I'm autisic, have a difficult time communicating to others. If hearing people aren't allowed that's fine. I'm just a different angle.

That's fine. I am proud to tell you that this site doesn't deal with "deaf pride" or that crap. I think...

Welcome! :beer: :)

I'm hearing and Autistic, too (Asperger's). I also work with Autistic people. I signed up after lurking here for a while, to discuss anything that is Deaf-related. Lately, I've been more and more involved in things that are linked to Deaf issues and this would be a good outlet for discussing them. I am an ASL student and am planning to continue taking ASL in my future years.

Hi I found it interesting reading your post I too am not deaf my son 5 is hevis also autistic and picking up bsl realy well alot faster then me, I was questioned by a S.A.L.T. saying thst children with sutisum dont useI r adapt to sign so its enlightening for me to read your posts and tthe comments clearly this lady wasnt right in what she was saying. :D
Thankyou

i dont think hearing people should be teaching sign language!, sorry but thats a view i hold because Sign language is not meant to be a capital venture, it is a language, not a commodity, how dare people thinks they want to make money of it, while for such a long time d/Deaf has been (and still are) oppressed only to find that the 2 edged sword of legalising Sign language to mean hearing peope to make it off?!? thats no justice there, its WRONG.

i dont think hearing people should be teaching sign language!, sorry but thats a view i hold because Sign language is not meant to be a capital venture, it is a language, not a commodity, how dare people thinks they want to make money of it, while for such a long time d/Deaf has been (and still are) oppressed only to find that the 2 edged sword of legalising Sign language to mean hearing peope to make it off?!? thats no justice there, its WRONG.
I agree with this. Being a sign language interpreter/translator is OK because it is a bridge between the two cultures. However, a hearing person should not stand there to represent a culture he/she is only a visitor of and make money off of it. However, I don't see anything wrong with teaching a friend some signs informally, as long as it's not a paid, professional pursuit.

Do you also think that no language should be taught by someone who does not use that language as their first language (ie: spanish, french, japanese)?

I think it should be taught more within schools my lil boy is in mainstream school and the only sign opportunity he gets is 10 mis a day from 1to1 teachers who are not deaf and are themselfs learning sign

Back