Differences in Sign Language

Sam Yeo

Reaction score
Hi!

Been searching around the net and reading, I'm kinda confused on what sign language most people use...

Is is ASL or BSL?

What about other countries? Like Singapore...

I'm a Malaysian but studying in Singapore and I'm very very interested in Sign Language (Mostly cause I want to be able to converse with people without them feeling uncomfortable.)

Thanks to anyone who took their time reading this.

Most countries have their own type of sign language. ASL is mostly Canada and the USA 9if I am not mistaken). BSL is Britian's sign language. So on and so forth.

BSL is Britian's sign language.

The Brits have their own way of doing things. lol After I figure out what I’m doing in ASL I would love to learn if their BSL has the same differences as US & UK English. I was corresponding with a friend across the pond and he told me he had a banger and crisps for lunch. . . . US Translation: He told me he had a sausage and potato chips for lunch.

After I figure out what I’m doing in ASL I would love to learn if their BSL has the same differences as US & UK English.

It doesn't. The differences between ASL and BSL are more like the difference between English and Spanish. The whole language is different because ASL did not derive from BSL. In fact ASL is much more closely related to LSF (French sign language) because the first US Deaf school was patterned after French Deaf schools. They even brought over a Deaf Frenchman, Laurent Clerc who co-founded the first US Deaf school.

The Brits have their own way of doing things. lol After I figure out what I’m doing in ASL I would love to learn if their BSL has the same differences as US & UK English. I was corresponding with a friend across the pond and he told me he had a banger and crisps for lunch. . . . US Translation: He told me he had a sausage and potato chips for lunch.
I wonder if they sign petrol or gasoline.... (joke btw)

hi

It doesn't. The differences between ASL and BSL are more like the difference between English and Spanish. The whole language is different because ASL did not derive from BSL. In fact ASL is much more closely related to LSF (French sign language) because the first US Deaf school was patterned after French Deaf schools. They even brought over a Deaf Frenchman, Laurent Clerc who co-founded the first US Deaf school.

I knew that!

Back