Difference between DEAF and Deaf?

breelligerent

Reaction score
Hey all! I've seen some people around these parts spell the word "deaf" with all uppercase letters. I know the difference between "deaf" and "Deaf", but what does "DEAF" mean? Is there a cultural meaning to it?

(I'm sorry if this has been asked before. I tried to search the forum and Google, but it just kept giving me the plain-old "deaf".)

Many people most search find hard deaf dont know , we are help you tell you,,Would be tell you I am experience less, user than more tell you can help , I know deaf cultures, I am pretty different deaf and hearing preceptive

Most deaf or Deaf notice spelling to look likes proper uppercase! I cause on look likes most to google on Deaf or deaf, I research google! I am not sure about to find exactly on difference deaf or deaf compare, no worry we are help you!! :)
I am deaf,

I'm deaf myself and am not sure of the difference.

I would suppose this is to make point to some people who don't get it. Person would say hey, look, I'm DEAF!!! Don't be rude!! Look at me when you talk, ya know.

I only know that drphil uses DEAF to his comfort words.

I am culturally Deaf. I am very involved with Deaf world or Deaf community. I tend to say, I am Deaf.

I would suppose this is to make point to some people who don't get it. Person would say hey, look, I'm DEAF!!! Don't be rude!! Look at me when you talk, ya know.

That's definitely possible. :ty: If that turns out to be the case I'll feel very stupid! Dumb hearing person questions, huh?

Many people most search find hard deaf dont know , we are help you tell you,,Would be tell you I am experience less, user than more tell you can help , I know deaf cultures, I am pretty different deaf and hearing preceptive

Most deaf or Deaf notice spelling to look likes proper uppercase! I cause on look likes most to google on Deaf or deaf, I research google! I am not sure about to find exactly on difference deaf or deaf compare, no worry we are help you!! :)
I am deaf,

Thank you for the assurances of help! :ty: deaf vs Deaf makes sense, but I had never seen it look like DEAF. Hopefully someone will know!

DEAF is one coined by the fellow that uses drphill as his screen name. Seems to indicate not hearing anything when not wearing his CI.

I only know that drphil uses DEAF to his comfort words.

I am culturally Deaf. I am very involved with Deaf world or Deaf community. I tend to say, I am Deaf.

Oh I see, I didn't know if it was only drphil that used DEAF or if it was common. :ty:

The terms can be sort of confusing for me at times. I've heard that even for deaf people, you aren't considered Deaf until other people in the Deaf world say you are culturally involved enough. I thought that you were Deaf if you feel most comfortable using ASL and are known to the Deaf community in your area. So confusing!

Any deaf people who don't use ASL then they are just deaf. If any deaf uses ASL, and involved with Deaf community and feel comfortable using ASL then they are Deaf.

That's all I can think of.

Any deaf people who don't use ASL then they are just deaf. If any deaf uses ASL, and involved with Deaf community and feel comfortable using ASL then they are Deaf.

That's all I can think of.

I appreciate your information! That's what I thought, but other people have different definitions :ty:

:ty: So it's a "more deaf than other Deaf people" thing? :hmm:

I think the poster mentioned is also using it to differentiate his current state from where he had been for many years prior (he had been what we tend to consider deaf at a lesser degree but not fully DEAF), as well as from that of many people who identify as culturally Deaf, yet are physiologically hearing or mild/moderate/severe, HOH, etc. There was one point where several posters, one was fully hearing and used ASL, one was moderate/severe and just learning ASL, told him that while they were Deaf, he was not and would never be Deaf. I think that marked his shift to using DEAF, but that's just what I saw from a distance and you could go to the source for the true answer.

I have mentioned before my utilization of the word- DEAF. A paradigm change to my actual condition of deafness-silence- rather than "cultural vs oral". I don't use ASL/ BSL et al.

I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

The observations of GrendelQ are somewhat correct from my posts over-almost the last 2 years that I have been a member.

Reading the book in the Toronto library- A Journey into the DEAFWORLD- Harlan Lane, Robert Hoffmeister & Ben Bahan 1996 Dawn Sign Press San Diego. Ostensibly DEAF persons are/have "oppressed by the Hearing community". Really? They claimed that Cochlear Implants are instruments of genocide towards the Deaf community. ENT doctors are at the forefront of all this. Aside: none of this is my actual experience.

It is safe to say that Cochlear Implants have had " an effect" on DEAF community over the last 25 years. What next?

Ongoing discussions in Sociology- "culture"

Bold statement, that is exactly what DEAF might indicate as using a loud comment. Most capitals when printed like DEAF meant to say that the person is speaking out loud and exclaiming the point of shouting at hearing people or Ignorant hearing people not understanding why Deaf or deaf people can not understand hearing people. The Deaf person is trying to tell them that they are DEAF, not hearing or that hearing people think that hearing aids or CIs can make a deaf person understand by listening or picking up words. The hearing ignorant people can frustrate us so much that we get upset or angry over it. Of course, most deaf people can not pick up or can not listen to what the hearing people said. Most hearing people have thick heads when they don't see it that way or refuse to accept us as deaf or Deaf.

This is the way I say the words. I was born deaf. I did not learn to sign until I was out of the mainstream high school which does not allow me to learn ASL. It is all oral only. I had struggled trying to understand what the teachers and students talk about in the classrooms. After I graduated from high school, I went into the Deaf Lutheran Church in Minneapolis, Minnesota and ASL opened the door for me to understand ASL plus to be able to express in ASL. So now I am Deaf instead of deaf. Deaf is who you are when you sign the American Sign Language. Small uppercase like deaf is just a medical term for us who happen to not be able to hear sounds whether severe to profound deafness. Hard of Hearing is still deaf, too. :roll:

I have mentioned before my utilization of the word- DEAF. A paradigm change to my actual condition of deafness-silence- rather than "cultural vs oral". I don't use ASL/ BSL et al.

I have been bilateral DEAF since December 20, 2006.

I appreciate you weighing in on this! I'm afraid I still don't understand the distinction you make. You're not Deaf because you don't use sign, so your use of DEAF is to describe your medical state, correct? I'm not sure why the term "deaf" doesn't apply to your identity. Is it because your experience of deafness is completely silent? From what I understand, some d/Deaf have a bit of hearing, but not at any level to make a difference in communication or lifestyle. Is that the distinction you're trying to get across?

Feel free to not answer these questions if you're frustrated with them. I'm just curious and hoping to understand where you are coming from. :wave:

Bold statement, that is exactly what DEAF might indicate as using a loud comment. Most capitals when printed like DEAF meant to say that the person is speaking out loud and exclaiming the point of shouting at hearing people or Ignorant hearing people not understanding why Deaf or deaf people can not understand hearing people. The Deaf person is trying to tell them that they are DEAF, not hearing or that hearing people think that hearing aids or CIs can make a deaf person understand by listening or picking up words. The hearing ignorant people can frustrate us so much that we get upset or angry over it. Of course, most deaf people can not pick up or can not listen to what the hearing people said. Most hearing people have thick heads when they don't see it that way or refuse to accept us as deaf or Deaf....

Thank you for taking the time to explain! :ty: I like the usage of DEAF the way you described it. drphil chimed in on what it means to him (since he's one of the few that I've seen who uses it), but your view is really interesting.

I know that some here on AllDeaf have disliked the ASL "fad" among hearing people. Do you think that the large number of people learning about Deaf culture and ASL will reduce the ignorance among hearing people? Or do you think it causes more misunderstanding of the d/Deaf experience?

breelligerent: The paradigm change -using actual deafness-rather than a "cultural configuration" to describe "silence" seems to me-to make sense.

I know from AllDeaf.com hearing people can be "cultural Deaf" which doesn't describe my actual condition-which is permanent.

That is why i requested the determination of whether I fit the criteria for a Cochlear Implant. Fortunately, I did. Five years ago the costs was $55,000 CDN Also recovered from the operation fairly quickly.

MY identity as such didn't change on December 20, 2006-the day I became bilateral DEAF. Aside: I have been involved with Canadian Hearing Society/Toronto Classes: Dealing/Coping with your Hearing Loss since 1992. I was also part of York University study on persons use the CHS material in their life.

I am aware that I couldn't hear anything at 105 Db which is usually defined as deafness-though some persons claim to "hear"- how much?

Interesting intermural exercise: what does deafness mean?

Again: Sociology-culture isn't boring-to say the least.

I appreciate you weighing in on this! I'm afraid I still don't understand the distinction you make. You're not Deaf because you don't use sign, so your use of DEAF is to describe your medical state, correct? I'm not sure why the term "deaf" doesn't apply to your identity. Is it because your experience of deafness is completely silent? From what I understand, some d/Deaf have a bit of hearing, but not at any level to make a difference in communication or lifestyle. Is that the distinction you're trying to get across?

Feel free to not answer these questions if you're frustrated with them. I'm just curious and hoping to understand where you are coming from. :wave:

He is misunderstand, confused no worry, It is okay! it is no worry sound look likes images on thinks he pretend on think so images I know him! no harm Don't be hurtingI I can help him tell you bit he troubleshooting, It is pretty well!

no worry no harm people!

If I wasn't clear- all Hearing comes from my Cochlear Implant. Of course, I am still DEAF.
I have mentioned before- I do deaf swimming, even a couple of laps for my friend Bottesini.
Right now silence- my battery is being recharged. I don't keep my implant on while sleeping
Off to "sleep land" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

If I wasn't clear- all Hearing comes from my Cochlear Implant. Of course, I am still DEAF.
I have mentioned before- I do deaf swimming, even a couple of laps for my friend Bottesini.
Right now silence- my battery is being recharged. I don't keep my implant on while sleeping
Off to "sleep land" ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Goodnight drphil. :lol:

(Now of course, with your implant off, you join us in being Deaf. ;) )

Back