Did you know this about Real Estate agents?

NEWIDME

Reaction score
My neighbor is a long time real estate agent. We got to talking and I asked her if there were any child molestors in the area and you know what she told me?!? She said she didn't know. She said it is against r.esate agent law to disclose that info to prospective buyers. Can you believe that?!? OMG. :eek3: Anyway, buyers have to go on the website, Federal Bureau of Investigation - Crimes Against Children - National/State Sex Offender Registry

to find out.

I think she told you a false information.

Real estate agents are not required to tell you, but I think they are allowed to tell.

More sales if you don't find out.

bottesini she said it was that real estate agents can't tell you not required too. but can't sell a house to a family if they don't feel it's a safe home and i suppose lieing is the only way to do that sometimes or not disclosing all the information

I don't think they're required to tell you. Since sex offenders are federal issues and not real estate issues, then the prospective buyers should look up the information online. They do have websites with these information.

It also depends on if that person registered online. If they don't, then you won't know... but that's also against the law if they don't register.

What real estate agents are required to tell you is if a death/murder happened in that house.

I am just so flabbergasted that they are not required to say so. It's the FBI/STATE that registers sex offenders because it is public information. A friend of mine's son is now a sex offender and the authorities put him on the on-line list. The agent said that she wasn't allowed to say outright. She said she could lead a buyer to the sex offender site. But I still think it's dirty to sell a house to parents and not tell them or confirm that they know about an offender living in their area. It's so dirty. I'd trade not having info on murder for having info on convicted molestors/sex offenders.

Uh, this is a federal law that real estate agents/brokers have to follow. DO read more on this: Federal Fair Housing Laws.

Many of the real estate agents/brokers I know do not like the so-called rules imposed by the federal.

Uh, this is a federal law that real estate agents/brokers have to follow. DO read more on this: Federal Fair Housing Laws.

Many of the real estate agents/brokers I know do not like the so-called rules imposed by the federal.

I am so sorry about not reading more on this, the CAPS kinda made me feel defendsive, though. I am just tellin you what I heard. I do not have time to read through all the laws. Have you the time? Is it in there about disclosing info on child molestors? Can you help me? :ty:

I don't think they're required to tell you. Since sex offenders are federal issues and not real estate issues, then the prospective buyers should look up the information online. They do have websites with these information.

It also depends on if that person registered online. If they don't, then you won't know... but that's also against the law if they don't register.

What real estate agents are required to tell you is if a death/murder happened in that house.

Easy enough to gain that information online.

It doesn't say anything about agents being required to tell their potential buyers about sex offenders in the area.

It doesn't say anything about agents being required to tell their potential buyers about sex offenders in the area.

Exactly. Because they are required to do so. If one is worried about sexual offenders in the neighborhood, one needs to take the responsibility for checking it out for themselves.

My neighbor is a long time real estate agent. We got to talking and I asked her if there were any child molestors in the area and you know what she told me?!? She said she didn't know. She said it is against r.esate agent law to disclose that info to prospective buyers. Can you believe that?!? OMG. :eek3: Anyway, buyers have to go on the website, Federal Bureau of Investigation - Crimes Against Children - National/State Sex Offender Registry

to find out.

No, no, no!!! I am a licensed real estate agent in Minnesota. We are not required by law to know where sex offenders live. What we ARE required to do is tell buyers WHERE they can go online to Minnesota's Dept. of Justice/Corrections to get sex offender information. This ensures that the real estate agent doesn't give out any mistaken/incorrect information. The specific web address is even spelled out for you on the forms you sign -- at least it is in Minnesota. It is on all the Buyer's Agent forms (Exclusive Right to Represent Buyers form, etc.). I can totally understand this law - I would not want to take any real estate agent's word for it as to where sex offenders live, I would want to look it up for myself to be sure and I'm sure all other buyers should feel the same way.

Only if it is a murder. If the death is by suicide or natural causes, then we are not legally required to disclose that information.

Only if it is a murder. If the death is by suicide or natural causes, then we are not legally required to disclose that information.

And I need to elaborate. We are required to protect our clients the best we can, including passing along information that was disclosed to us. So if the seller were to tell me "oh, the mother who used to live here died of a stroke", I am legally supposed to pass that onto my client, the buyer. It is part of my duties to do so. But if it wasn't specifically disclosed to me and only mentioned in the newspaper and I don't have direct knowledge of it, then that's entirely something else.

That's what I meant. :)

Agent: "Did you know that there was a murder here almost 34 years ago? This guy killed his father, his mother, his 2 sisters, and his 2 brothers? A year later, another family moved in and were haunted by strange things related to the murders... including a red-eyed pig named 'Jodie'." :Ohno:

That's what I meant. :)

Agent: "Did you know that there was a murder here almost 34 years ago? This guy killed his father, his mother, his 2 sisters, and his 2 brothers? A year later, another family moved in and were haunted by strange things related to the murders... including a red-eyed pig named 'Jodie'." :Ohno:

Hee, The Amityville Horror.

Hey, someone recognizes it! Heh!

If there was a murder in a house/apartment you were offered, would you live there?

I... uh.... wow.... such a difficult choice... if it's a nice house for a great price in a nice location.... damn.... well.... sure I'll buy it but I'll have to hire some voodoo witch or shaman to expel away the haunted spirit before I move in. :cool2:

I... uh.... wow.... such a difficult choice... if it's a nice house for a great price in a nice location.... damn.... well.... sure I'll buy it but I'll have to hire some voodoo witch or shaman to expel away the haunted spirit before I move in. :cool2:
Hahaha...

Well, it wouldn't really bother me. Sure, people will walk by in front of my house and give me weird faces... but my friends will still think, "Whoa... cool!"

It depends if you have the time and if you are good at it. Some of us aren't willing to spend the time and can't judge whether the people will be good tenants so it's worth it to us to leave it to the pros.

Whoa - Unbelieveable that realtor said cant enclose the information. Oh please. In Real estates and mortgage industrial, you know every detail are on documents. Every documents you sign, it has information about it. Even City hall should have documents of everything. Cannot hide information.

Interesting to read this.

Back