Did you guys know that dead or sick dogs and cats can be found in pet food?

Cane Corso

Reaction score
I have numerous reasons why I refuse to feed my dogs a pet food. I don't trust any big companies. I prefer to feed raw and I never cook anything for my dogs. I would mix raw eggs, raw muscle chicken, and some veggies in the dish.

Do Euthanized Pets....Really End Up In Pet Food?

Are Euthanized Pets In These Foods?

Pet Food Recalls

When things go really wrong and serious problems are discovered in pet food, the company usually works with the FDA to coordinate a recall of the affected products. While many recalls have been widely publicized, quite a few have not.

In 1995, Nature’s Recipe recalled almost a million pounds of dry dog and cat food after consumers complained that their pets were vomiting and losing their appetite. The problem was a fungus that produced vomitoxin contaminating the wheat.
In 1999, Doane Pet Care recalled more than a million bags of corn-based dry dog food contaminated with aflatoxin. Products included Ol’ Roy (Wal-Mart’s brand) and 53 other brands. This time, the toxin killed 25 dogs.
In 2000, Iams recalled 248,000 pounds of dry dog food distributed in 7 states due to excess DL-Methionine Amino Acid, a urinary acidifier.
In 2003, a recall was made by Petcurean “Go! Natural” pet food due to circumstantial association with some dogs suffering from liver disease; no cause was ever found.
In late 2005, a similar recall by Diamond Foods was announced; this time the moldy corn contained a particularly nasty fungal product called aflatoxin; 100 dogs died.
Also in 2005, 123,000 pounds of cat and dog treats were recalled due to Salmonella contamination.
In 2006, more than 5 million cans of Ol’ Roy, American Fare, and other dog foods distributed in the southeast were recalled by the manufacturer, Simmons Pet Food, because the cans’ enamel lining was flaking off into the food.
Also in 2006, Merrick Pet Care recalled almost 200,000 cans of “Wingalings” dog food when metal tags were found in some samples.
In the most deadly recall of 2006, 4 prescription canned dog and cat foods were recalled by Royal Canin (owned by Mars). The culprit was a serious overdose of Vitamin D that caused calcium deficiency and kidney disease.
In February 2007, the FDA issued a warning to consumers not to buy “Wild Kitty,” a frozen food containing raw meat. Routine testing by FDA had revealed Salmonella in the food. FDA specifically warned about the potential for illness in humans, not pets. There were no reports of illness or death of any pets, and the food was not recalled.
In March 2007, the most lethal pet food in history was the subject of the largest recall ever. Menu Foods recalled more than 100 brands including Iams, Eukanuba, Hill’s Science Diet, Purina Mighty Dog, and many store brands including Wal-Mart’s. Thousands of pets were sickened (the FDA received more than 17,000 reports) and an estimated 20% died from acute renal failure caused by the food. Cats were more frequently and more severely affected than dogs. The toxin was initially believed to be a pesticide, the rat poison “aminopterin” in one of the ingredients. In April, scientists discovered high levels of melamine, a chemical used in plastics and fertilizers, in wheat gluten and rice protein concentrate imported from China. The melamine had been purposefully added to the ingredients to falsely boost their protein content. Subsequent tests revealed that the melamine-tainted ingredients had also been used in feed for cows, pigs, and chickens and thousands of animals were quarantined and destroyed. In early May, scientists identified the cause of the rapid onset kidney disease that had appeared in dogs and cats as a reaction caused by the combination of melamine and cyanuric acid, both unauthorized chemicals. The fallout from this recall is ongoing as of May 2007 so please be sure to check the FDA website for the most recent updates.
Nutrition-Related Diseases

The idea that one pet food provides all the nutrition a companion animal will ever need for its entire life is a dangerous myth.

Today, the diets of cats and dogs are a far cry from the variable meat-based diets that their ancestors ate. The unpleasant results of grain-based, processed, year-in and year-out diets are common. Health problems associated with diet include:

Urinary tract disease. Plugs, crystals, and stones are more common in cats eating dry diets, due to the chronic dehydration and highly concentrated urine they cause. “Struvite” stones used to be the most common type in cats, but another more dangerous type, calcium oxalate, has increased and is now tied with struvite. Manipulation of manufactured cat food formulas to increase the acidity of urine has caused the switch. Dogs can also form stones as a result of their diet.
Kidney disease. Chronic dehydration associated with dry diets may also be a contributing factor in the development of kidney disease and chronic renal failure in older cats. Cats have a low thirst drive; in the wild they would get most of their water from their prey. Cats eating dry food do not drink enough water to make up for the lack of moisture in the food. Cats on dry food diets drink more water, but the total water intake of a cat eating canned food is twice as great.7
Dental disease. Contrary to the myth propagated by pet food companies, dry food is not good for teeth.8 Given that the vast majority of pets eat dry food, yet the most common health problem in pets is dental disease, this should be obvious. Humans do not floss with crackers, and dry food does not clean the teeth.
Obesity. Feeding recommendations or instructions on the packaging are sometimes inflated so that the consumer will end up feeding — and purchasing — more food. One of the most common health problems in pets, obesity, may also be related to high-carb, high-calorie dry foods. Both dogs and cats respond to low-carb wet food diets. Overweight pets are more prone to arthritis, heart disease, and diabetes. Dry cat food is now considered the cause of feline diabetes; prevention and treatment include switching to a high protein, high moisture, low-carb diet.
Chronic digestive problems. Chronic vomiting, diarrhea, constipation, and inflammatory bowel disease are among the most frequent illnesses treated. These are often the result of an allergy or intolerance to pet food ingredients. The market for “limited antigen” or “novel protein” diets is now a multi-million dollar business. These diets were formulated to address the increasing intolerance to commercial foods that pets have developed. Even so, an animal that tends to develop allergies can develop allergies to the new ingredients, too. One twist is the truly “hypoallergenic” food that has had all its proteins artificially chopped into pieces smaller than can be recognized and reacted to by the immune system. Yet there are documented cases of animals becoming allergic to this food, too. It is important to change brands, flavors, and protein sources every few months to prevent problems.
Bloat. Feeding only one meal per day can cause the irritation of the esophagus by stomach acid, and appears to be associated with gastric dilitation and volvulus (canine bloat). Feeding two or more smaller meals is better.
Heart disease. An often-fatal heart disease in cats and some dogs is now known to be caused by a deficiency of the amino acid taurine. Blindness is another symptom of taurine deficiency. This deficiency was due to inadequate amounts of taurine in cat food formulas, which in turn had occurred due to decreased amounts of animal proteins and increased reliance on carbohydrates. Cat foods are now supplemented with taurine. New research suggests that some dog breeds are susceptible to the same condition. Supplementing taurine may also be helpful for dogs, but as yet few manufacturers are adding extra taurine to dog food.
Hyperthyroidism. There is also evidence that hyperthyroidism in cats may be related to diet. This is a relatively new disease that first surfaced in the 1970s. Some experts theorize that excess iodine in commercial cat food is a factor. New research also points to a link between the disease and pop-top cans, and flavors including fish or “giblets.” This is a serious disease, and treatment is expensive.
Many nutritional problems appeared with the popularity of cereal-based commercial pet foods. Some have occurred because the diet was incomplete. Although several ingredients are now supplemented, we do not know what ingredients future researchers may discover that should have been supplemented in pet foods all along. Other problems may occur from reactions to additives. Others are a result of contamination with bacteria, mold, drugs, or other toxins. In some diseases the role of commercial pet food is understood; in others, it is not. The bottom line is that diets composed primarily of low quality cereals and rendered meals are not as nutritious or safe as you should expect for your cat or dog.

Get The Facts - What’s Really in Pet Food

The Many Myths of Raw Feeding

All about Raw feeding

This is the best way to feed our dogs and cats to keep them healthy.

:gpost: I used to feed Snickers, my hearing dog, Nutro, but changed at the time of the dog food scare. I didn't change it for that reason, as I was going to change it anyway, as she had been on it since I got her from the humane society. Snickers now eats NutriSource: Super Premium Dog Food as it's a Minnesota company and all the ingredients come from here. I see the trucks going through town and know where they're heading. I don't trust any company that makes dog food if they're not in Minnesota.

From what I read about feeding your dog raw meat diet. It is NOT for everyone to try. It is not a easy task and CAN be expensive than buying dog food. Do you realize how much raw meat costs at the supermarket stores?

My parent's dog was fed vegetarian dog food diet along with some meat diet for some time. He passed away last year when he was 14 years old, he could live longer but had to be put to sleep due to cancer spread to his nose and he had difficulty breathing. That is an old age for a English Setter.

From what I read about feeding your dog raw meat diet. It is NOT for everyone to try. It is not a easy task and CAN be expensive than buying dog food. Do you realize how much raw meat costs at the supermarket stores?

My parent's dog was fed vegetarian dog food diet along with some meat diet for some time. He passed away last year when he was 14 years old, he could live longer but had to be put to sleep due to cancer spread to his nose and he had difficulty breathing. That is an old age for a English Setter.

Raw does not have to be expensive. You can buy raw meat from butcher shops. They sell meat for much cheap or you can buy it through resturant chains. You don't have to buy it from the supermarket stores.

No offense to you, all pet food that sell at the veterinrian office SUCKS and I was a veterinrian technician for four years! Nope, they aren't good as you think they are.

Wow, you jumped conclusions. I never said anything about veterarians. My parents used their OWN judgement, period.

This is really interesting! I would want my 2 dogs to be healthy so am seriously considering this. Tonight I gave raw eggs to my dogs and to my surprise they were soo excited and ate the raw eggs up for the first time. They left egg shells behind. Are they supposed to be eating egg shells? I will talk with butcher soon and see if they have left over meat or chicken that they normally throw away. Thanks for the links, Cane Carso!

Cane Corso

Buys Organic Pets Food, it is mainly the best...

My sister and my parents are still takin' care of my other sister's dog, the dog wasn't healthy at that time and then my sister decided to stop buyin' dog's food...

The dog named Zip, she eats anythin' they give her, no dog foods from the store, onlys naturally organic and Zip bloomin' soo well and beautifully too.

Wow, you jumped conclusions. I never said anything about veterarians. My parents used their OWN judgement, period.

What do you mean by I am jumping to the conclusion? I haven't say anything bad about your parents? People are entitled to their own opinions but I advise them to do massive research on raw and pet food. Sometimes people thought feeding kibbles are the best way to go, but it is not always true.

I had three dogs and all died from different forms of cancer. They died around eight to ten years old. Two out of three dogs had bad teeth and breath. We kept taking them to have teeth cleaning twice a year. After I joined a schutzhund club in Arizona, everyone I met feed raw. They advise me to switch slowly and gave me all information that I need to research.

After I did my research, I talked to many veterinrians, trainers, holistic veterinrians, biologists, and other experts. All of them have their own opinions, there are tons of pros and cons. Some didn't support the idea and some do support it. I made the decision to try it and see whether my dogs like it or not.

This is really interesting! I would want my 2 dogs to be healthy so am seriously considering this. Tonight I gave raw eggs to my dogs and to my surprise they were soo excited and ate the raw eggs up for the first time. They left egg shells behind. Are they supposed to be eating egg shells? I will talk with butcher soon and see if they have left over meat or chicken that they normally throw away. Thanks for the links, Cane Carso!

My dogs don't eat egg shells either, I toss them in the trash. Please read as much as you can on raw feeding and I will send you a link where you can ask questions. There are bunch of experts who can answer your questions better than I can. Either you can join the leerburg discussion forum to ask something that you are concern about or you can read posts on raw feeding from other members who had questions.

I find Connie Sutherland, Yuko Blum, Carol Boche, and Cindy Rhodas knowledge people on raw feeding and they are the best ones to ask questions.

Leerburg.com Discussion Forum: All-Natural Diet for Dogs

I don't know how long your dogs have been on processed food, but I must warn you that your dogs will have a horrible dirrhea for first couple days or a week. It is not because your dogs get sick from eating raw. It is because your dogs ate pet food and they are processed with various chemicals such as anticaking agents, antimicrobial agents, preservatives, spices, seasonings, sweeteners, essential agents, etc. These chemicals were used to keep the pet foods tasty.

A general rule of thumb is never feed cooked bones because they are brittle and can be dangerous when digest. Cooked bones can puncture in dogs' stomaches.

You can feed your dogs uncooked bones with meat.

Here are listings of what you can feed your dogs

Chicken- whole or any parts (backs, necks, etc.)
Turkey- whole or any parts ( except for wings)
Cornish game hens- whole
Oxtail
Pork - necks, ribs,a nd any cuts
Rabbit - whole
Fish- canned sardines in water, not oil, or jack mackerel
Quail
Buffalo
deer
moose

You need to be careful about bacteria because raw meat is not safe for humans. You might want to feed them in the crate, outside, or somewhere you can keep the area clean easily. You can use a bleach disinfection to spray over when they are done with eating. After you fed your dogs, you might want to clean their mouth and eyes before you cuddle with them. You don't want to get sick. I always feed my dogs outside. I make sure to wash my hands after I feed my dogs and spray over the door knob with a disinfect wrap.

Dogs' digestive systems have natural immunity to bacteria so you don't need to worry about your dogs getting sick.

You can feed vegetables, fruit, yogurt, pumpkin, etc.
You don't need to feed any grains because they are not necessary.

DO NOT FEED your dogs alcohol, avocado, chocolate, coffee, tea, fat trimmings from ham or turkey, grapes, raisins, sultanas, macadamia nuts, milk, dairy products, onions, garlic, potatoes that are green or potato sprouts, and salty food

Low- fat cottage cheese is ok for dogs, and it does not upset their stomach.

Believe me you might be a bit overwhelmed, but the important question is how much do I need to feed meat and veggies in the dog's dish.

Calculate

What do you mean by I am jumping to the conclusion? I haven't say anything bad about your parents? People are entitled to their own opinions but I advise them to do massive research on raw and pet food. Sometimes people thought feeding kibbles are the best way to go, but it is not always true.

I had three dogs and all died from different forms of cancer. They died around eight to ten years old. Two out of three dogs had bad teeth and breath. We kept taking them to have teeth cleaning twice a year. After I joined a schutzhund club in Arizona, everyone I met feed raw. They advise me to switch slowly and gave me all information that I need to research.

After I did my research, I talked to many veterinrians, trainers, holistic veterinrians, biologists, and other experts. All of them have their own opinions, there are tons of pros and cons. Some didn't support the idea and some do support it. I made the decision to try it and see whether my dogs like it or not.

Then explain how did my dog live to 14 years old? Those breeds usually average 12 years old lifespan. You were a vet tech for 4 years so you might know a thing or two? The thing I know he had some brewer's yeast on the dog food and sometimes olive oil and such like that. I haven't paid much attention on how they feed him but he sure lived for a long time, though. He had heart problems, arthithis, etc. He started to have hard time with stairs when he was about 13 years old. Most people who met him thought he was real young looking dog for his age.

Ahemm...I feed my dog what we eat..lol!
i mean, literally, like if we eat Buffalo wings, he eats
them too, in fact he LOVES THEM!! Oh well...:dunno:
Oh he does eat dog food but he is so dang spoiled that
he wants something to "flavor" it up so we had to put
some grated cheese or chicken gravy, or leftover meat,
etc.....oh well...
we probably will kill him before his time....:eek3: cuz we
are feeding him with wrong kind of food...

You gave your dogs raw eggs? :eek3: I didnt think that was
safe for animals to eat raw eggs like humans! You know people
cant raw eggs due to samonella thing, ya know? My dog loves
cooked eggs. I never give him raw eggs at all. Maybe im wrong
about animals eating raw eggs, maybe it dont hurt them, as their
digestive system are different from human, :dunno: I guess you
could ask your vet about that.

Jilli and Bruce have been tried on a raw food diet but it didn't really work out. I think that dogs are probably tougher then we are when it comes to things like food poisoning. That doesn't mean to say that they don't get food poisoning. I had to give up on Jilli going raw. I compromised by getting her organic dog food instead.

Now she only gets vegan dog food and dad also cooks her scrambled egg made from Soil association eggs which are free range and organic. She's doing really well.

Ugh I would not doubt any of that, which is why I don't feed my cat cat food, I would never eat that shit so why should my cat have to? Anyways a while back I bought a booked called "The Cat Herbal" by Claire Nahmad & it has really helped now that my cat is eating regular food instead of gross cat food I think he is much healthier.

We took our dog to the vet for his annual shots and check up
last Friday, he was found to be in excellent health, even
though he has been eating human type of food, lol! We told
the vet what we have been feeding him along with regular dry
dog food, she said thats fine!

So what is the big deal, as long you feed your dog and cat
some meat like chicken, turkey, beef and occassional cooked
eggs, cotttage cheese, cheese (not every day). No bones, ever!
I dont ever give my dog bones, all vets say that DO NOT GIVE
DOGS AND CATS BONES!! When we give my dog his occassional
Buffalo wings (he is absolutely nuts about them) i scrape the meat
of the bones, of course. We use packaged gravy mix and put that
in his dog food and he just loves it..not fattening either!

Just be careful how you feed your animals, thats all.
Apparently we are doing right cuz the vet says my dog is real
healthy. Heh!

Back