Did you go to speech therapy as a kid?

I don't know if this is what Sosie was referring to, but ST will often use a form of Cued Speech to indicate what sound is to be produced. A finger on the chin under the lips indicates the "f" sound, while the thumb on the chin under the lips indicates the "th" sound.

We have found that to be useful when my son mis-articulates a word whether it's new or not. I remember when he was younger he would sometimes say "thinger" instead of "finger". I was able to show him the difference easily with that technique. Obviously you could fingerspell as well, which would achieve the same end.

So you cued too?

My son currently receives ST once a week, but we are in the midst of a disagreement with the school about it.

All that aside, he has had some great ST's (besides the current one) and he always looks forward to it. I think the games they do, and little incentives make it more fun. He's never had a ST punish him for not articulating properly. That seems to be a thing of the past. Not to say that all ST's are kind and understanding, but most get the fact that it's inappropriate to punish a child for mis-articulating a word.

I don't know if this is what Sosie was referring to, but ST will often use a form of Cued Speech to indicate what sound is to be produced. A finger on the chin under the lips indicates the "f" sound, while the thumb on the chin under the lips indicates the "th" sound.

That doesn't sound right because that sounds like something you SHOW, not do to the other person. They said that it hurt them. It implies that the ST was forcing them to do something (close the chin, perhaps?).

I often forgot my /s/ sounds so my ST would remind me to say the /s/ if I dropped it with a handsignal (which I forgot now...). Doubt that was cued speech? I don't even think my ST is aware of cued speech! I'll ask her though.

That doesn't sound right because that sounds like something you SHOW, not do to the other person. They said that it hurt them. It implies that the ST was forcing them to do something (close the chin, perhaps?).

I often forgot my /s/ sounds so my ST would remind me to say the /s/ if I dropped it with a handsignal (which I forgot now...). Doubt that was cued speech? I don't even think my ST is aware of cued speech! I'll ask her though.

I kind of thought that it may have been different too, because as you pointed out it was done to the person, rather than showing them. I thought maybe it was a variation of that, but maybe not.

A ST shouldn't be touching people to the point where it hurts them!

I think part of why they touch different parts of the face is to let the person know where the sound originates from. Not a good reason to poke them though!

I kind of thought that it may have been different too, because as you pointed out it was done to the person, rather than showing them. I thought maybe it was a variation of that, but maybe not.

A ST shouldn't be touching people to the point where it hurts them!

I think part of why they touch different parts of the face is to let the person know where the sound originates from. Not a good reason to poke them though!

that's what speech therapy at AGBell school was like.

I just tried to find youtube video of it... dang I can't find it. Wondering if any of you got a link. It's a black n' white video.

We have found that to be useful when my son mis-articulates a word whether it's new or not. I remember when he was younger he would sometimes say "thinger" instead of "finger". I was able to show him the difference easily with that technique. Obviously you could fingerspell as well, which would achieve the same end.

CSign, I did not say that. Pls re-read FF's posts. :roll:

that's what speech therapy at AGBell school was like.

I just tried to find youtube video of it... dang I can't find it. Wondering if any of you got a link. It's a black n' white video.

Then it makes sense why they have the reputation that they do.

Hmm I don't remember how often I had speech in nursery school but I do rememeber that I had it 3x a week from first to 7th grade then it was weekly till 10th grade.

See post 6 for my feelings. As for my kids if they were deaf I would have them do it for an hour or less per week and if they want to drop the speach therapy , I would let them drop it.

I just remembered why my speech therapy cut down so much by my final 2/3 at high school cos they found out how I cheated the listening and speech test. They got standard paper list of words, they say words with mouth covered, I gotta say same word back. I nicked paper of listed words when I was pre-teen at hospital (school and hospital uses exact same paper) and memorise it. One day after my speech therapy session I came down to see my friends, they asked me what happened today, I just repeated words in perfect order on list (they laughed so much about it). I didn't know speech therapist was behind me! Busted!

I wanted to give others a chance to reply....
I had speech therapy for some years as part of my IEP. For several articulation issues and also delayed spoken language. I was born several months premature and spoke very late. There were some games they played and I kinda liked those but overall it was not a fun experience. There was physical contact on my face and with a tongue depressor and stuff and it was in a different part section of the building with all it's own stuff - own playground, buses, entrance, own doors separating the sections of building, even smelled different. So it was mysterious to the other kids and I was bullied extensively. I always felt wierd going there but didn't know how to express that at the time.
The therapist would come to get me cuz I couldn't read the clock.

Speech has never been easy or "natural" for me and I still have to think about how to make certain words or sound work. I've always been an extremely visual person and used lots of gestures.

This is weird because I had it long before any hearing issues were picked up.

yes
How many times per week did you take speech therapy?
How did you feel about going to speech therapy when you were a kid?
can't remember it much because it was between the ages of 3-5 but I do remember getting the chin poking and other painful prodding as well as constantly being told NO! My parents were told that I had a mental delay but they didn't believe it because I was reading at a 3rd grade level in preschool
Were it fun? Were it boring? were it tiring?
scary, intimidating, tiring as i had to drive to another town to get to it.

Do you have any good speech therapy memories? Or Bad speech therapy memories?
I learned to lie real well and to hide my emotions because I would be told to "suck it up and do it right" alot of the time

Do you plan to send your kids to speech therapy, just like what you did as a kid? Any suggestions for this improvement of speech therapy methods for kids?
I would want to sit in on a few sessions and shop around a bit to find the right one that will make me and my kid comfortable and make it fun. Then when my kid wants out I won't stop them.

Yep, I had speech therapy Since I was in kindergarten, all the way up to my senior year, which is now.. :roll:

How many times per week did you take speech therapy?

In kindergarten, I had speech once a week, Elementary school- same, Middle school- same, High school- twice a week. My freshman year I had no speech therapy because the school couldn't find a speech therapy. And then when they finally found one my sophmore year, My parents wanted me to have speech therapy twice a week for 40 minutes since i didn't have speech my freshman year.

I hated it. It was so boring all the time. I even begged my parents not to let me do speech therapy. They said that the school requires me to have speech therapy due to having cochlear implants. :roll: very few of my friends who has cochlear implants doesn't even go to speech therapy. And alot of my hearing friends are asking me why I am in speech therapy since I talk so well. I basically work on my comprehension, my "AH" "EE" "OO" "SH" "SS" sounds.

Do you have any good speech therapy memories? Or Bad speech therapy memories?

I don't really remember any good or bad memories of being in speech..

Do you plan to send your kids to speech therapy, just like what you did as a kid? Any suggestions for this improvement of speech therapy methods for kids?

If my child needs speech, I would try it out. But if my child isn't enjoying it or does not like it i won't put him/her through that like I did as a kid. I would let her/him use ASL to communicate, I won't try to change him.
My opinions on speech therapy; They need to make it more fun, make the student to be motivated more. They always would make you sit there say words until you got it right or work on your comprehension. They need to mix it up a little.

I don't know if you all want my point of view but I went to speech therapy when I was in Kindergarden because I did not pronounce certain words correctly. My mom had issues speaking certain ways so I had to go. I was so little I never thought anything bad of it. When I got older and did not say some words correctly people did make fun of me.

This may be way odd maybe noone could understand but when I was young I was teased I wished I couldn't hear. I think it was a coping thing. I wished that when I had menegitis it didn't mess up my eyes (I wear glasses) but also my hearing as well. I am realizing though that my hearing might always have been a bit "off". My music teacher asked me if I could hear the music correctly.

I never had a formal hearing test that I recall but I do think I do not hear high pitched noices and when people talk to me in crowds or background noice they might as well not even try.

I personally do not think that a Deaf person should be forced to speak or go to therapy to. I really HATE when people who can hear say 'oh how horrible- they can't hear" Grrr it gets me so mad.

My mom went to school with a girl in High School who was Deaf and read lips and spoke. Her parents did not teach her sign. I find that to be sad because reading lips is not that accurate is it?
I think people need more education sometimes in all areas. Sorry I am off topic and I hope I didn't upset anyone. I just don't think Deaf people need fixing.

I went to speech therapy when I was in elementary school. I think it was either a twice-a-week or once-a-week thing... don't really remember.

It was very beneficial for me.

OTOH, you did go to CID right? Meaning you had intense speech therapy.

Yep, I had speech therapy Since I was in kindergarten, all the way up to my senior year, which is now.. :roll:

I hated it. It was so boring all the time. I even begged my parents not to let me do speech therapy. They said that the school requires me to have speech therapy due to having cochlear implants. :roll: very few of my friends who has cochlear implants doesn't even go to speech therapy. And alot of my hearing friends are asking me why I am in speech therapy since I talk so well. I basically work on my comprehension, my "AH" "EE" "OO" "SH" "SS" sounds.

If my child needs speech, I would try it out. But if my child isn't enjoying it or does not like it i won't put him/her through that like I did as a kid. I would let her/him use ASL to communicate, I won't try to change him.
My opinions on speech therapy; They need to make it more fun, make the student to be motivated more. They always would make you sit there say words until you got it right or work on your comprehension. They need to mix it up a little.

I wonder if a lot of us who had bad experiances with speech are the ones who had to work on articulation and the other mechanics (ie pitch, volumne etc) I do think that language therapy can be a lot of fun....but it is very hard to sucessfully make stuff like articulation, and pitch, volumne etc fun.
I totally and completely agree with you. They need to make speech FUN.....even Leo Jacobs in " A Deaf Adult Speaks Out" said that they need to make speech therapy a delightful game, instead of therapy, therapy,, therapy and more therapy....or less like My Fair Lady.

I was experience lots of speech therapy lots of issues because force my teacher is very serious, I experience vowel sound!

Back