Did u almost lost your HAs?

yagazn

Reaction score
I almost lost my hearing aids...Whew, no I didn't lost my HAs. Gosh, HAs are expensive.

I've been looking everywhere from my place to my car.

Well, funny my hearing aids looks the same color as the table, I found it. :lol:

My lesson is to make sure I put them in the small black zipper bag or hard case, I got it from my hearing aid doctor. That's my responsible.

Share it with us if you like.

Last edited:
I nearly lost both HA and Cochlear implant last week. I went on activity trip with the hen party. We went Go Ape, it was brilliant fun and hard work. On very last zip wire before we finished for the afternoon (we were hanging about high up in the trees for nearly 3 hours), I was the last person down the zip wire, it was very long, half way I realised that I was going down WAY too fast! and tried to turn round so that I can do bum landing, OH NO, it's not working I landed feet first then spun on the rope that attached me to the wire/clips and lost both ears in the process.... As I was on big pile of wood chips.... my cochlear implant is brown... it blended in very well... Lucky one of the girls who had good eyesight and found it quickly. Phew, I don't think if I lost it I won't go to the centre in a hurry as they will not replace lost implants.

Oh, those events are the WORST when you're running late for something. I was eating breakfast, and my little toddler nephew grabbed one of my HAs and decided to dunk it in my orange juice when I went to the bathroom. I came back and freaked out. Took about 45 minutes of looking to finally make me sip my orange juice and then discover something was floating in it.

HAHAHA overthepond,
The way you described your experience had me laughing so hard. I am glad you were able to find your CI and HA, and I hope you were not injured in the process of that trauma of a landing. But just the way you described it and how it played out in my mind was funny. Take care and I hope your 2 yrs eval at the center goes splendid this comming weds.

Have to admit, I don't think I ever misplaced my HA's until I dropped them while cleaning. I was at work changing the wax guards and batteries. Hands went numb and I dropped them both onto the floor. I hollered, "Don't come into my office!!" I moved back in my chair and stepped onto one and smashed it, and managed to roll over the other smashing it as well. That was $4000 down the tubes. About a year later, I lost the rest of my hearing.

Have to admit, I don't think I ever misplaced my HA's until I dropped them while cleaning. I was at work changing the wax guards and batteries. Hands went numb and I dropped them both onto the floor. I hollered, "Don't come into my office!!" I moved back in my chair and stepped onto one and smashed it, and managed to roll over the other smashing it as well. That was $4000 down the tubes. About a year later, I lost the rest of my hearing.

Oh my. Sorry about your HA's.

A few months ago while I was waiting for the train during the evening, I had an itchy ear, so I decided to take out my tan coloured HA. Unfortunately I dropped the HA as I was removing it from my ear.

I could not see it on the floor around the area I was standing, so I feared that it probably bounced and landed on the other side of the fence that is covered with gravel and leaves. I started to panic, and I didn't like my chances of finding the HA. But, fortunately, somehow I did find it and managed to catch the train back home. :)

There has also been numerous occasions where I have misplaced my HA's at home. Tsk Tsk...

Yes - about a year ago!!

I took off my HA while in the car (it was REALLY hot and humid and I'd taken my SuperSeal off ... so I didn't want to "soak" the naked HA with sweat. I put it on my purse, and when I got out the the car I grabbed my purse and forgot about my HA on it ... it ended up on the pavement of the parking lot. I went in to get a coffee ... came out and pulled away (HA on the pavement!!) ... it wasn't until about 5mins later I noticed my HA was missing - PANIC!

VERY fortunately, I'd parked off in an odd corner of the parking lot in the last spot so the driver side door opened against a curb/grass section. My HA had stayed safe ... up against the curb - I drove there .. saw it, parked the car far enough away that there was no way I could hit the HA .. then picked it up.

THANK G-D IT WAS 100% FINE.

Since then I've been much much much more careful about putting my HA in the HA case (that I keep in my purse all the time) whenever I'm not using the HA.

VERY scary moment ... espeically because:
a) I couldn't afford to replace it (my insurance deductible covering my HA is about 500$ ... which I couldn't afford at the time)

b) I have a MAJOR phobia about / dislike for hearing tests ... partly because with my fluctuating hearing loss (mild/mod) I have a number of frequencies that on a very "good day" can be considered borderline for amplification ... (25-30db loss) even though most of the time I'm well withing "range" (30-50db). Because of that I'm terrified I might get tested on a "good day" and they might take my HA away (or not approve a new one) saying I don't "need it"(only their opinion, all I know is that because I'm profoundly deaf ie +120db loss across all frequencies and have mild APD ... having the HA for my Hoh mild/mod flux side makes understand speech etc in the hearing world - and my mumbling hearing family! - MUCH EASIER on a daily basis)

I did lose a HA! I have TMJ and can't wear a HA in my right ear anymore , so I had HA thaht for my right ear that was held on by a wire. I was outside in the snow and when I took my hood off my HA when flying into the snow!
I was not able to find it. When the snow was gone I tried to find it but had no luck.

And when my car was T boned by a teenager driver the impact was so hard both my HA came out.
When I woke up in ER I could not hear and thought OH CRAP I lost all my hearing ! Then I realize I did not have them on. My hearing aids landed on the floor in the back seat of my car .

Well, never lost them for too long. I always seem to panic when I can't find them, then find them neglected somewhere:P
I had a scary ziplining experience (first time, short ride). I was nervous before going, but got strapped in and all that. We went in a line (like 20+) so we took turns holding each others stuff/I videotaped everyone, and went last). Well, I had decided to take my h-aids out, and put them in the case to give to a friend. I got to the other side and noticed I had no h-aids in! I texted my friend on the other side to see if they had fallen out on platform- she reminded me she had them in her bag :D

Yes, i did lost my HAs a few times when I was a kid. But not anymore. I'm more respsonality (sp) to take care of my left HA. :)

I had been talking to my mum on the phone about this, she told me that when I was very small (3/4 years old) After having the box for few years and then I got the HA's, I loved wearing HAs. One day on holiday, my grandparents lived in Menorca so I was a regular visitor there, but that fateful summer was my first summer holiday with HA's, We all went on the beach, my mum used to change us in to swim wear and teeshirt to keep the sun off. Natrually my parents always leaves my "Box" back at the villa (water/sand don't agree) My parents didn't think twice if I was wearing the HA's.
My brother (a year younger) and I was digging holes/playing in the sand. My brother said to me take your HAs off and we'll put it ON the sand castle we just made so I did. My mum realised something and ran to me to check my ears for HA's, nope, not there so it must be at the villa. My brother somehow had temper tantrum and kicked the sand castle. I signed to mum, my HA was on the sand castle, she said no it's at the villa then I started to cry trying to get through to her... I searched for it and yep, I had lost both of them forever. My mum WAS SO mad! so I had the box until I was 9 and resposible enough to look after the HA!

LOL at this thread....when I first got ha's I actually only had one at first on the right side. One day I was tired so I decided to nap...My cat kept making noise and meowing in my ear so I took my ha out and put it on the ottoman...well then I had to go pick up my mom from work and meet her somewhere..got home later that night and lo and behold my ha was not on the ottoman anymore..but I didn't wanna say anything..lol so tried lookin for it but no luck..thank god for one year warranty ..they replaced my ha and earmold for free and my mom told me if I ever lost it again she'd kill me lol...I still live in the same house..and i still haven't found the hearing aid...

Maybe cat ate your aids? If dogs do, why not cats too? Lol.

I have almost lost my aids few times but mainly on purpose cos I wanted to avoid wearing them. Mum had to hunt around the house for hours hours hours til she find them! They are always found except one time I flushed it down the loo, thought I was smart! I was only 5 then. Wasn't happy 2 weeks later when new aids arrived. Mum said loo cleaner man found aids in loo cleaner machine and set the machine to find my aids and send them back. Course she lied to me but I didn't know it then. It was exact same colour and brand.

Maybe cat ate your aids? If dogs do, why not cats too? Lol.

I have almost lost my aids few times but mainly on purpose cos I wanted to avoid wearing them. Mum had to hunt around the house for hours hours hours til she find them! They are always found except one time I flushed it down the loo, thought I was smart! I was only 5 then. Wasn't happy 2 weeks later when new aids arrived. Mum said loo cleaner man found aids in loo cleaner machine and set the machine to find my aids and send them back. Course she lied to me but I didn't know it then. It was exact same colour and brand.

I used to "hide" mine in the box springs of my bed. I never realized mom would check there while I was in school without them.

Oh, yes. Dogs or Cats chews earmold too. That's why I don't leave my HAs anywhere near either cat or dog but I don't have a cat or dog at home.

Wirelessly posted

Was I the only one who never purposely hid their HAs when they were little?! I didn't hate them or anything, I thought they were so normal for the longest time!

i think will become an insurance agent and have only policies for HA's !! testimonials like these would be great for business.
i am more apt to lose my cell phone, which is why i have insurance on that !! i once found an old cell ph of mine jammed under my truck seat after a year or so.

The vet told me that if the cat would have ate the HA that it prolly wasn't likely cuz she was a kitten at the time so he said he couldn't see her chewing it as it was bigger and cuz the components likely would have killed her

Back