Did Toronto Police Assault Deaf Man?

WhoCare

Reaction score
Assault Allegations

With the help of an interpreter and by reading lips, 25-year-old Peter Owusu-Ansah (left) told a sordid story about alleged police brutality outside of the Old City Hall courthouse on Tuesday.

Two Toronto police officers are charged with assaulting the hearing impaired man after Owusu-Ansah accused them of taking him to a deserted area while one of the officers brazenly assaulted him and the other stood by and watched.

“He started punching my face. He’s telling me to say ‘yes, sir,’ stuff like that,” Owusu-Ansah explained. “He took off his vest and asked me if I want to fight him. I said no. I never wanted to fight him.”

Owusu-Ansah maintains that on September 13th, 2002, he was stopped and questioned by police about a robbery. He then claims he was handcuffed and carted off to face the humiliating abuse.

He also says he tried to tell the officers he couldn't understand them due to his hearing impairment, but was told to be quiet.

“I tell them I am deaf,” he said. “They don't believe me. They they just keep talking and talking and they just do whatever they want.”

Syed Moosvi and Wayne Taylor, both of 53 Division, are charged with assault.

Officer Moosvi claims it was Owusu-Ansah who hit him and maintains he was released when they realized he was hearing impaired.

The trial is expected to end sometime in August.

http://www.pulse24.com/News/Top_Story/20040720-015/page.asp

*sheesh*
I know Divison 53. (sigh)
Police must be lack of knowledge if person really Deaf.. Why they doing ignore person really Deaf.. determinded that person is fake Deaf. *rolls* Give me a break!

Bullym0m said:
*sheesh*
I know Divison 53. (sigh)
Police must be lack of knowledge if person really Deaf.. Why they doing ignore person really Deaf.. determinded that person is fake Deaf. *rolls* Give me a break!

I don't about Divison 52's history.

Deaf man calls cop assault 'scary'

By SARAH GREEN, TORONTO SUN

CLOSING ARGUMENTS are expected next month in the trial of two Toronto Police officers charged with assaulting a 25-year-old deaf man. Syed Ali Moosvi, 35, and Wayne Taylor, 53, both constables at 53 Division, are charged in the Sept. 14, 2002, beating of Peter Owusu-Ansah behind Northern Secondary School on Mount Pleasant Rd. near Eglinton Ave. The two officers have pleaded not guilty.

Owusu-Ansah said he was taken to the school from nearby Bayview and Eglinton Aves., handcuffed and repeatedly punched and slapped after he was questioned by officers investigating a theft.

"He kept saying shut up, swearing," Owusu-Ansah said outside court yesterday, adding it was difficult to read lips behind the school. "(It was) so dark, so scary."

Owusu-Ansah was playing basketball with friends before he was stopped by police.

"Mr. Moosvi ... testified he did not assault him," police lawyer Gary Clewley said.

He said an agitated Owusu-Ansah hit Moosvi in the chest as the two officers questioned him. The officers did not charge Owusu-Ansah, believing the man did not understand them.

"They didn't realize he was hearing impaired," Clewley said. "The police officers said, 'We'll give the benefit of the doubt and release him.'"

Character witnesses testified yesterday Moosvi is an honest, professional and intelligent officer. The trial before Justice Paul Robertson will hear from its final witness today.

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/TorontoSun/News/2004/07/21/550786.html

Do you think he lie?
Character witnesses testified yesterday Moosvi is an honest, professional and intelligent officer. The trial before Justice Paul Robertson will hear from its final witness today.

he also is black.. he kept getting stop by the police 18 times for years. I felt so bad for him..

Wow, what's up with 18 times; does he like the food there that much? LOL!

Now why would he be stopped by police that many times?? Did he cause problems for them and they were just frustrated with him?..need more details to this story though..i dont quite understand why they would beat him up and all..can anyone clarify this? Maybe i misunderstood ?

Back