Did I offend my friend? If so, how?

if a person drives a car with turbocharged engine, it would go so fast that they would forget that they're actually wearing hearing aids. Maybe they won't be as self conscious if their car was going fast.

Yikes. :lol: I leave for a few weeks and this is still going on. haha There actually was no weirdness with my friend after all. I just jumped to conclusions because there was a long silence that I didn't know how to interpret, so...yeah, that's over.

Also, never said I wanted hearing loss. I still do not understand where some of you are getting that. I just remarked about the aids. And I said something positive, but some of you are making it sound like I said something mean, something that crossed a line, like I made joke of her. Even compliments are offensive now? I do not understand assumption that if someone is self concious about something and the other person doesn't know that, other person is still at fault if the someone gets upset over something he/she says. This not make sense to me, especially if other person says something nice and the remark just makes the someone think of bad things or whatever. It is not the statement that was bad itself, it just reminded the person of tribulations or something. That's fine. It is a personal issue though, not really something other person or the someone can be faulted on. For instance, if someone compliments me on how good I look since I get the lapband and it reminds me of being fat and ugly, so I reflect sullenly. Am I going to get mad at the person for just telling me I look good? No. It is not their fault that I am still touchy about when I was about of shape and not feeling good about myself and it is okay for me to be touchy about that, just not okay to make it seem like those bad feelings are the other person's fault.

To me this is starting to sound like a case of some people taking themselves too seriously. I was not being overzealous or obsessive. I just made one comment and only asked a few questions whenever my friend started a conversation about them.

Also, I am sorry miss, but I do not understand what the boyfriend did so wrong. He sounds like he was only being supportive when accompanying you to the tests and you say you didn't mind him trying them on, so there was no weirdness in any of those situations. He snatced them out of his ears it sounds like because he wasn't expecting whatever he felt or heard. That's not a big deal. Then he says they look cool because they match your hair. This is the problem for you, but why? Is that not why you got them to match your hair in first place? So that they look good on you? If they are strictly for medical aid, then why bother with the accessorizing at all? And because you are frustrated with the HAs themselves, he is in the wrong for remarking about the look of them? The two thing seem unrelated to me. ...I am confused. What did you want him to say, especially since he couldn't feel the irritation they are causing in your ears? From his perspective it seems like "hey they go with your hair, that's nice." I'm sorry, I do not think I am understand your example of a socially crossed a line. It sounds like if you were to get pissed at boyfriend over that statement, you are just taking your frustrations about the aids being annoying out on him, which would not be nice to him.

Hm. Maybe it is my autism that is making me not understand the big deal with this.
But alas, like my Papa says, it is not important I understand, so long as I behave socially correct. Nevim, nechapu, I don't understand it, but hey I respect people's feelings and I must obey certain social rules if I want to make it through an encounter, so like I've said I will still be respectful of anyone who views their HAs as a sensitive subject once they tell me that's how they feel about them. I mean I am no mind reader...though that would be such an amazing super power.

Nice to see a discussion I start is still going strong. I like the view of the different thoughts and experiences. :)

Back