Diabetes is also associated with hearing loss. who would've thought it?

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
I've noticed that my mom, my Godfather and aunt all have some type of diabetes and hearing loss. The article explains the link between diabetes and hearing loss.

"Diabetes isn't the first thing that comes to mind when thinking about the major causes of hearing loss. Excessive exposure to loud noises, aging, as well as certain diseases like otosclerosis and Meniere's disease are obvious contenders. But, diabetes (and to some point, obesity)? It seems like these two conditions don't really correlate to one another."

Link: http://hearex.co/3

Diabetes affects many parts of the body. Before the commercials, I knew from my husband's experience that diabetes affects the cardiovascular system and the kidneys amongst other things.

My late uncle had diabetes for many years and went through several complications including kidney, vision, among other things. I don't recall he ever lost his hearing but in the last years of his life, it took a big toll on his health losing part of his leg below his knee that was diabetes related.

The exact reasons for this phenomenon are not exactly clear at the moment. However, some scientists and experts believe that elevated blood sugar levels can potentially damage the sensitive blood vessels and nerves in the ears the same way it causes damage to the eyes and kidneys of diabetic patients, thus causing hearing loss.

All the more reason to take our health seriously.

Back