Dex-Cool

ncff07

Resident Punk Ass
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you have a vehicle with the dex-cool junk I'd recommend changing it over to regular antifreeze. When I bought my truck in 2008 it had dex-cool but I changed it over it had already left red gunk in my reservoir and a little in the radiator and on the radiator cap. So I flushed it and replaced the cap and just rinsed the reservoir out. Checked it last winter for temp rating and noticed there was a bit of that red gunk that came loose from the reservoir on the bottom of the new radiator cap. This time I put a new reservoir and run off hose, new radiator cap, flushed it 3 times just to be safe then filled with new antifreeze/distilled water. These pics are what it looked like.
Looks like a regular recovery tank no big deal right?

attachment.php

Until you see inside of it and the entire bottom looks like this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 47
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 47
I use Prestone with green color coolant for my vehicle. I flush them around 5 years or 50,000 miles whichever comes first. I kind of learned the lesson with my older vehicle that I didn't flush it and the coolant system was brown and caused my engine to overheat. The rust builds up lessens the flow of the circulation.

I think I'd stick with the green coolant for my vehicle. Newer vehicles may have different kind of coolant for the engine.

Ah, who was that little birdie? :giggle:

Prob out of nowhere... LOL

acura-extended-warranty-breakdown.jpg

Well you didn't want me to get stranded on the side of the interstate did ya?!?! I'd have to call you to come pick me up somewhere in BFE Georgia LOL :laugh2:

just a pair of giant balloons under the green plastic dress and photoshopped face ;)

could have photoshopped your face on it lol....but that wouldn't be justice...

If you have a vehicle with the dex-cool junk I'd recommend changing it over to regular antifreeze. When I bought my truck in 2008 it had dex-cool but I changed it over it had already left red gunk in my reservoir and a little in the radiator and on the radiator cap. So I flushed it and replaced the cap and just rinsed the reservoir out. Checked it last winter for temp rating and noticed there was a bit of that red gunk that came loose from the reservoir on the bottom of the new radiator cap. This time I put a new reservoir and run off hose, new radiator cap, flushed it 3 times just to be safe then filled with new antifreeze/distilled water. These pics are what it looked like.
Looks like a regular recovery tank no big deal right?

attachment.php

Until you see inside of it and the entire bottom looks like this.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Miles? Type of engine? Looks like someone don't know how to take care of maintenance correct as overdue or mixed with wrong coolant that cause gel. I used work for GM dealership before.

Miles? Type of engine? Looks like someone don't know how to take care of maintenance correct as overdue or mixed with wrong coolant that cause gel. I used work for GM dealership before.

2003 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 V6 4x4 auto. 90,100 miles. I bought it in 2008 and it had the dex-cool junk in it the first thing I did was get rid of that and use regular prestone antifreeze. I had rinsed the overflow tank out good and figured it'd do but last winter I took the radiator cap off to check the freeze level and noticed it had some of that red gunk on the bottom of it(replaced the cap when I changed it over to prestone then too). I had to change the thermostat last year twice too and after seeing the bottom of the radiator cap figured it fouled those up too. Yesterday I replaced the reservoir tank and lines, radiator cap and used new prestone antifreeze after flushing the entire system 3 times.

I would be careful on this one. the regular coolant can build shit up in some coolant, for instance my former truck with 6.0L, if using regular coolant can do serious damage to engine because they will clog the oil cooler causing the oil cooler useless, causing rise in temp with erg, which leads to break down and failure. This engine requires motor craft coolant gold which does not produce flakes.

Follow mfg specs, not your head.

Todays engines are much smaller and packed with more power, under tightest specification/tolerances than it was 30 years ago.

2003 Chevy Blazer with a 4.3 V6 4x4 auto. 90,100 miles. I bought it in 2008 and it had the dex-cool junk in it the first thing I did was get rid of that and use regular prestone antifreeze. I had rinsed the overflow tank out good and figured it'd do but last winter I took the radiator cap off to check the freeze level and noticed it had some of that red gunk on the bottom of it(replaced the cap when I changed it over to prestone then too). I had to change the thermostat last year twice too and after seeing the bottom of the radiator cap figured it fouled those up too. Yesterday I replaced the reservoir tank and lines, radiator cap and used new prestone antifreeze after flushing the entire system 3 times.

regular prestone antifreeze? As just green? or dex-cool?
When last time you drain whole old coolant out and fill up the fresh dex-cool coolant?

Well Im surprised the "Auto-Gods" havent jumped all over you yet???
If your car/truck was designed for Dex-Cool (orange/redish) that is the proper coolant, the regular stuff (green) will kill that engine prematurely.
I have never seen a bottle get gunk buildup either green or orance fluid used, so either something was mixed or there is a gasket leak (oil) mixing in somewhere. Also using the wrong anti-freeze will void any manufacturers warranty and possibly future problems.

Back