device to hear better in a noisy room.

shengchieh

Reaction score
It echoes alot and is very noisy. Are there any device (that connects with hearing aids;
I use Digifocus II) that can help hear 1-1 or small group? I.e., like an uni-directional
microphone or something?

What technology(ies) is(are) out there (and doesn't break the bank; no more than several
hundreds).

Sheng-Chieh

I am currently wearing a digital hearing aid that has 3 modes. The 2nd mode will drown out most of the surrounding sounds and focus on what's in front of me. It comes in handy in crowded loud restaurants. :)

Which aid is it? I doubt I can use it as i need the most powerful one.
Sound like you have a "directional" hearing aid. I used to have one
until having a stroke.

Sheng-Chieh

I'll answer my own question.

The answer is to buy a pocketalker. You can buy it w/ a neckloop (also ear plugs/headset
available) and point the amplifier mic at the person who is speaking to you. You can even
get a microphone cord (or a microphone clip to go with the tv cord) so that the microphone
is near the other person's throat.

Here's a picture of mine.

http://shengchieh.fileave.com/pocketalker.jpg

Those w/ directional microphone hearing aids probably do not need it. Just
those whom have "all directional" microphone on their aids.

Sheng-Chieh

a word of warning about the pocketalker. while it's a very nice and helpful device, some people with greater amounts of hearing loss may not benefit from it. when i had severe-profound hearing loss and tried one at my local deafblind center, i was unable to hear or understand speech.

It echoes alot and is very noisy. Are there any device (that connects with hearing aids;
I use Digifocus II) that can help hear 1-1 or small group? I.e., like an uni-directional
microphone or something?

What technology(ies) is(are) out there (and doesn't break the bank; no more than several
hundreds).

Sheng-Chieh

My digital hearing aid helps greatly with that. I press the button to change channels and it will either amplify foreground or background noise, depending on which channel I am on. I think its just a simple two channel digital hearing aid though. I am not certain on that, but it does help.

Back