Designing product for the Deaf..questions

bjcomix

Reaction score
Hi everyone

I am an Industrial Design student at the University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign. I'm currently working on a project that will address issues related to Deaf culture, Deaf identity, communication,etc.
As a hearing person I am trying to understand some of the frustrations Deaf people experience throughout their day. I have a few questions about Deaf lifestyle that might help me to better understand deafness from a first hand account:
Are there any tasks/activities you must perform differently from a hearing person? (such as driving, cooking, watching the kids, multi-tasking, etc.) How do you feel during these tasks and do you have difficulty performing these? Have you ever felt excluded from the hearing world? Are there any difficulties you experience as a Deaf person that might be solved/addressed by a product of some sort?

Any answers, thoughts, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. Also, feel free to email me at bappell@uiuc.edu

sincerely,
BJ Appell

:welcome: To All Deaf bjcomix!!!!
Good luck on your project you got a lot to learn. I'm hearing myself & learned so much & enjoyed it ever since then.
Have Fun Posting &
Enjoy your stay here:thumb:

Do any of you (Deaf people) have frustrations that you experience throughout your day that hearing people may not understand? Any help/feedback would be awesome. Thanks.

Back