Design for the Deaf

kraj

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm a design student from Ireland, currently working on my final projects for my degree. I'm working on a project at the moment, which is to design an annual report for a deaf association (see the explanation for annual report below).

I am a hearing person who know's nothing about the deaf community. I've been doing research on the deaf culture and community, but it has all been book research and I'd like to get some real life stories. I don't want to be insulting or intrusive or anything like that, I'm just curious and I'm sorry if any of my questions seem ignorant or insensitive! The reason I am asking these questions is because I want to come up with a really innovative idea, and design something that will really connect with and communicate the people the report is about.

I have a few questions listed below, so if anyone can answer them, or give me any opinions at all that would be great!

- Is sign language the most widely used form of communication among deaf and hard of hearing people when communicating with each other?

- How popular is lipreading among the deaf?

- What is the main methods of communication between deaf people and hearing people? Is it difficult?

-How much do deaf people rely on writing to communicate?

- I've heard one deaf person say that in their home, the family used their own version of makey-uppy sign language, one that's unique to the family. Would this be true of a lot of families/ groups of friends with deaf members?

- What is the biggest challenge to a deaf/ hard of hearing person today?

- I've seen from my research that technology plays a big role in helping a deaf person with day to day activities (e.g. flashing doorbell, vibrating alarm clock etc.). What piece of technology do you rely on the most?

- In general do deaf people still feel excluded from general (hearing?) society?

- I've seen that deaf people seem to have an extremely strong sense of community and belonging....can anyone expand on this?!

- I've read that in years gone by that deaf people were considered dumb....do deaf people still encounter that attitude among hearing people today or has it changed?

- I heard a funny story from a CODA about how when they were young, the children on the road would find it hilarious to ring the doorbell and then run away, the fun was in seeing the light flash when you rang the doorbell. Does anybody have any funny stories for me?

Ok I know its long but thank you in advance to anyone who answers any of these!

kraj:fingersx:

*An annual report is an official document that all companies have to produce each year to give to its shareholders and the financial world. It contains reports on how the company is doing financially, sets out its aims and objectives for the coming year, and usually has a message from the owner or president of the company. This document is usually really boring, so I'm trying to come up with something, well....not boring!)

hey ,there, send me a private message with your email and try to awnser your questions. not everty body wants to show everthing in public.

I don't want to intrude on this thread but I did just want to mention that if you get any replies to your questions, you should take note of the location of the deaf community that is being discussed. Many people here are from the U.S. and Deaf culture here may be very different from Deaf culture in Ireland. You may want to specify "American Deaf culture" or "Irish Deaf culture" (or whatever) in your report. Good luck!

differences in culture

ok i'll take it into account, thanks interpreter!

- Is sign language the most widely used form of communication among deaf and hard of hearing people when communicating with each other?
Yes,for sure. I don't know sign language but use body language and some simple signs

- How popular is lipreading among the deaf?
I think,at least half of the deaf use lipreading

- What is the main methods of communication between deaf people and hearing people? Is it difficult?
mostly oral with supports of paper,pencil and simple 'signs'

-How much do deaf people rely on writing to communicate?
:dunno: depends on each individual

- I've heard one deaf person say that in their home, the family used their own version of makey-uppy sign language, one that's unique to the family. Would this be true of a lot of families/ groups of friends with deaf members?
yep, my family uses their own simple unique symbols when speech becomes inadequate

- What is the biggest challenge to a deaf/ hard of hearing person today?
communication difficulties.. and the way we feel life.. the deaf/hoh live in a different world that of hearing persons.. both communication and senses are different to some degree

- I've seen from my research that technology plays a big role in helping a deaf person with day to day activities (e.g. flashing doorbell, vibrating alarm clock etc.). What piece of technology do you rely on the most?
hearing aids all the time and subtitles when watching tv,movies

- In general do deaf people still feel excluded from general (hearing?) society?
personally, I feel as if I was a foreigner at times

- I've seen that deaf people seem to have an extremely strong sense of community and belonging....can anyone expand on this?!
we know value of life more due to learning the hard way

- I've read that in years gone by that deaf people were considered dumb....do deaf people still encounter that attitude among hearing people today or has it changed?
in my case, that attitude still exists a little especially among those who don't have deaf/hoh relatives or friends .. gradually decreasing ..

- I heard a funny story from a CODA about how when they were young, the children on the road would find it hilarious to ring the doorbell and then run away, the fun was in seeing the light flash when you rang the doorbell. Does anybody have any funny stories for me?
hearing person says : pass the spoon
hoh person understands : pass the broom

You are welcome but this is my own reply. everyone has different ideas and explorations.

Back