Design Engineering Positions?

AL-KHAWARIZMI

Reaction score
Is there any entry level design engineer positions out there?

I currently have a BS in Mechanical Engineering and am currently getting my Masters.

I was wondering if anybody knew of any engineering positions (non: civil, structural, electrical, geology, environment engineering positions)

Appreciate it.

Seems like the higher one goes in the professional workforce, the more discrimination they face. Thanks to the useless gimmick we call ADA. I really have no idea behind the irrational rationale why they pulled the deaf rights from EEO, and stuffed it with ADA instead.

I wonder if its the higher-level type of work you do is in proportion terms of discrimination.

Later,

AL-KHAWARIZMI

Since you are still taking classes, are there engineering society groups on campus? How about local chapters? I suggest going to their monthly meetings and introduce yourself. If you need an interpreter, talk to the chapter's executive board about providing equal access. From there, you can begin networking with other professionals and eventually an interview.

SAE
ASAE
SME
ASME

I don't have a feel for how much discrimination there is for deaf applicants for professional jobs. I hope there are more deaf engineers out there than I've met, which is less than 5. :(

I have a close friend who is having trouble finding food service or custodial jobs. I believe his application is tossed after they see he attended a deaf school and worked at one too.

Good luck!
Steve

I have 1 more academic semester left to become a Mechanical Engineer. I am fully deaf and have been since I was in diapers. I am 27 years old to date. You can bet i am sick of school! Taking 6 courses nonstop for exactly 2 years now with 4 months remaining.

I have worked for BC Hydro (hydro power generation), Ballard Power (fuel cells), and CWA Engineers (sawmills and stuff). But I got all those jobs through connections.

I would look into family and friends and networking of course.

If you want to get in touch with me then you can email me at erik@ubcustom.com and if you are interested I am building a cnc plasma cutter and you can view the pics at www.ubcustom.com/cnc

Im looking forward to chatting with other deaf engineers. Please spread out my email! My msn is kire_remlu@hotmail.com

Erik

Hello fellow deaf engineers!

I currently have an Associated's degree in Mechanical Engineering and I am proficient at AutoCAD and Microstation. I'm working for DLZ in their structures department and I'm a little "home sick" because I'm not working in a mechanical field.

I'd love to discuss careers with you all and, who knows, we may Forrest Gump into something special?

*edit*

Erik, are you building that CNC plasma cutter from scratch for a client or for your own use in the shop?

deaf enginer said:
I have 1 more academic semester left to become a Mechanical Engineer. I am fully deaf and have been since I was in diapers. I am 27 years old to date. You can bet i am sick of school! Taking 6 courses nonstop for exactly 2 years now with 4 months remaining.

I have worked for BC Hydro (hydro power generation), Ballard Power (fuel cells), and CWA Engineers (sawmills and stuff). But I got all those jobs through connections.

I would look into family and friends and networking of course.

If you want to get in touch with me then you can email me at erik@ubcustom.com and if you are interested I am building a cnc plasma cutter and you can view the pics at www.ubcustom.com/cnc

Im looking forward to chatting with other deaf engineers. Please spread out my email! My msn is kire_remlu@hotmail.com

Erik

Why you fraking lucky bastard.....

I am too jeolous of your welding works. How come I am stuck working for the federal agency. :pissed:

I do miss welding when I was in auto body repairing and painting program at Vo-Tech school while I was in high school.

Erik, it is a great idea to have documenting your pix on your online resume. You must have to impress any interviewer and show pix of your projects as long as you bring your laptop for your demo. I think you will do fine to find a good career. Why did I not think of documenting the pixs? Then I would show interveiwers. Well, time changes...welcome to 21th Century. Tell hearie that you can do it....

BTW, what the heck are you making your project? I know it is not a simple metal table but I can not figure out it along with electronic items...

AL-KHAWARIZMI said:
I wonder if its the higher-level type of work you do is in proportion terms of discrimination.

No. Employers evaluate you base on how capable you are for the job, not your disability. Be open minded and keep a positive attitude. Good luck!

Yes there deaf engineers out there. I am a deaf civil engineer responsible for construction engineering activities involving power plants, industrial, municipalities, environmental and so on.

Look up The Shaw Group Inc. they are hiring all kind of engineers. When you submit your resume, you do not need to indicate that you are deaf. They are looking for experience. Also, indicate that you are willing to travel.

Good Luck!

Giff

Back