Dental work and hearing

LittleCat

Reaction score
I have severe bilateral loss in both ears and use HA's. Yesterday I go to the dentist for a root canal on the tooth next to the front one on the top right side. It went fine but my right ear feels full, like the volume on my HA isn't enough, but is at same usual setting.

Does anyone know if root canal can effect hearing?

Thanks!!

It happened to me but it went away after a few days. You may have some swelling from the shot or irritated nerves from the root canal or the novacane. Do you have to turn yours off while they work? I do and when they ask me questions I can't here them-it makes me extremely nervous. If it makes you nervous how do you deal with it?

Thanks for the info!

I do turn my HA's off or I get huge feedback type noise. I have a REALLY good dentist in that she understands I will then hear less than usual. She make a point to pull her mask down so I see her lips regardless if my HA's are on or off, and she never talks to me while the drill is on. I am very lucky. Last year I had a tooth pulled and the dentist was not very sensitive and I didn't understand what I was feeling during the procedure was normal since all I could see was the mask moving.

Its hard to find a good dentist now a days. My dentisthas so many patients, evertime I go in I have to explain it all over again and she still doesn't understand sometimes. I always get nervous to the point where I get nausious(spelling?). It's not so much the pain I'm afraid of-just the environment.

My dentist has fancy computer screens in their rooms to look at your history and xrays. When they pull up mine PATIENT IS DEAF!!! comes up in huge letters and if its a new hygienist, I calmly say, "actually I'm just hard of hearing, face me when you talk to me and not yell" because they will start to yell otherwise!

My dentist has fancy computer screens in their rooms to look at your history and xrays. When they pull up mine PATIENT IS DEAF!!! comes up in huge letters and if its a new hygienist, I calmly say, "actually I'm just hard of hearing, face me when you talk to me and not yell" because they will start to yell otherwise!

LOL at the "PATIENT IS DEAF!!!" because that does seem like it makes them want to yell at you! :)

I can't believe how lucky I am with my dentist -- I never even thought about this until now -- she happens to know a lot of sign (she told me how/why she learned it but I've forgotten now as I've been going to her for so many years) so she always signs with me, and her staff seems to know that lipreading is all I need, so they act very normal around me. Her knowing sign wasn't even the reason I went to her in the first place, we discovered this when I was there for my first vist. Talk about a nice coincidence!

As far as the root canal goes, I've never experienced any funny feelings in my ear or with my hearing aids after (I've had two root canals) but I think the part about the novacaine makes perfect sense. If after a day or two you still don't feel right, it might be a good idea to have things checked out.

Last edited:
I've had moments where my ear felt funny after some dentist appointments (cavities being filled in the back of my mouth) from the novacaine shots. Even the shots seem to affect my hearing a bit too. Weird stuff!

Back