Democrats' fault

DavLaurel said:
I recall Washington Post cartoonist Herblock drawing Reagan's SOD Caspar Weinberger wearing a toilet-seat-cum-horsecollar, with--if memory serves--a tag saying "$450".
Maybe that was the "bargain" version :lol:

Reba said:
That is an offensive statement.

I apologize for that statement. I didn't mean it in that way.

Reba said:
Not every one is "college material" but they can still hold a job and serve their community. There are many skilled craftsman who learned their specialties OJT. Not every skill requires a college education. In Charleston we have people who earn good money wroughting beautful iron gates, or weaving museum-quality sweetgrass baskets. They are not stupid people. A person with an MBA couldn't do their work.

There are many young people struggling in college for a degree in a major that doesn't interest them instead of learning and working in a vocational field that they could really love.

I have nothing against higher education. I think that anyone who has the ability and desire for a college education should go for it. I have a few degrees myself, and wouldn't mind a few more.

I work at a college where I daily see students of two different kinds. One group is motivated and working towards a career goal and an enriched life. The other group attends college because they were told that was the only way to get big bucks. They scoop in the grants and loans, and gripe about studying and attendance requirements. They have no real interest in learning anything; they just want to "get it over with" and study just enough to pass the minimum requirements. At withdrawal time, they drop like flies.

There will always be a need for non-degreed workers. We should respect people who do manual labor. It is not for every one.

I don't think it is right to call "idiots" the people who harvest our crops, clean our buildings, pick up our trash, make our cars, serve in our restaurants, and do all those other things that make life pleasant for the MBAs and PhDs.

If a person works hard and honestly, then we should respect that.

If a person has the benefit of a good education and does NOT use it, then that is a shame.

Let me rephrase my statement. I meant "school" as in any types of education resulting from on-the-job training, internships, apprenticeships, or attending vocational training programs (non-degrees). You pretty much explained what I already know, but thank you for catching me saying something so "black & white" without thinking twice about it. I made that statement out of anger towards TTT's implication that public universities should have their funds cut. If the public universities lose more money, the administrators will jump happily at the chance and claim they cannot afford to accommodate their enrolled Deaf students anymore and fire their interpreters.

Back