Delurking to introduce myself

Hotaru

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a classic introvert, and as the thread title indicates, I tend to lurk, but I wanted to pop in and say hi! Nice to meet you all. I'm hearing, just starting to learn about Deaf culture, and taking an ASL class in spring. I'm also a writer, and I've been thinking of writing a fairy tale with a deaf character. Eventually it would be nice to use Skype to practice ASL with others on the forum, but I'm nowhere near ready for that yet. :)

Let's see, other facts about me: I'm a crazy cat person. This being the internet, I assume many others here are as well.

Pleasure to meet you!

Welcome, Hotaru!

I'm not anti-cat but just a minute ago posted a picture of Bonzo the dog over in the pet picture forum. Well okay, I like cats . . . just haven't had one in a coon's age.

I moved into severe hard of hearing about 10 years ago and now just barely hear voices with hearing aids these days. You won't be able to practice the ASL with me - sorry. Altho' I've been losing my hearing since I was a kid, it has been a 40 year slide and I just always compensated for it.

Tell us about your book idea :) !

hullo, basically same story here, except I won't be taking classes for a bit longer & I draw instead of write. Also my pets are mice...

Best of luck with your areas of interest, and welcome~

Thank you for the welcome!

Shimo, I hope we can be friends even though my pets would eat yours. :D Is any of your art on the forum?

Adam, I love dogs too! All animals, really. And your Bonzo is adorable!

The book I'm working on is a series of interconnected fairy tales about insects. The Monarch butterfly is the king, the Black Widow spider is the villain, and so on. It's a middle grade children's book. One of the fairy tales is about a garden spider who is a famous dancer, and who helps a damselfly to tame the fearsome dragonfly. The dancer was originally a hearing character, but after watching a video about Deaf performing artists, I thought, why not have him be deaf? There's nothing about his role that requires him to be hearing. So I'm learning ASL and researching deaf characters in children's fiction and stuff like that before I try to write it.

Do you also write?

I've been exploring different comic ideas, and I thought something involving a strong deaf character would be interesting. I want to work on a comic where a hearing employee gets a job of their dream, and the boss is deaf. Through the eyes of the employee I want to portray how the deaf boss is a role-model and highly qualified, but also very human, but that the boss' deafness doesn't impact his or her quality as a person.

I haven't decided what industry these two will be in yet, though I do have some industries in mind, most of them in some kind of engineering.
Related thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/movies-books-tv-media/108236-deafness-fiction.html

It's a secret project for me so far though, so I can't link to my gallery.. yet.
But here is a sketch I drew sometime ago
F8S46.jpg

Oh, My! Charmingly creative people here!

No, I don't do any meaningful writing, or drawing, or creating of anything meaningful. When I was in high school English and was given a creative writing assignment - always, always - I would write poems.

I never knew anything about meter & rhyme and have finally come to know that this is really limiting & lame not to. I started last year to write a few pantoums -- because I found that poetry style to be so easy. It probably is just a reflection of my boring, non-creative mind - going in circles ;).

I had to look up pantoum--shows what I know about poetry! :D Seriously I've always admired folks who can write poetry. I'm terrible at poems. I can do nursery rhymes and that's about it. Do you like to read poetry as well as write it?

And wow--that sketch is really beautiful, Shimo! How long did it take you to make? Are you going to include ASL in the comic?

There are many poetry types and so many that 1 or 2 should please just about anyone who wants to put words together in a poem.

I only do a little reading of poetry. To gain much from a poem, it takes some effort - kind of thinking and reading at the same time. Really, it is very important for me to read aloud to understand what the author was up to. So, there should be a lot to be gained from a poem.

Liking poetry? To not like poetry would almost be the same as not liking Santa Claus, don't you think??

In Baltimore there lived a boy.
He wasn't anybody's joy.
Although his name was Jabez Dawes,
His character was full of flaws.

In school he never led his classes,
He hid old ladies' reading glasses,
His mouth was open when he chewed,
And elbows to the table glued.
He stole the milk from hungry kittens,
And walked through doors marked NO ADMITTANCE.
He said he acted thus because
There wasn't any Santa Claus.

Of course, that is The Boy Who Laughed at Santa Claus by Ogden Nash :).

Last edited:
There are many poetry types and so many that 1 or 2 should please just about anyone who wants to put words together in a poem.

I only do a little reading of poetry. To gain much from a poem, it takes some effort - kind of thinking and reading at the same time. Really, it is very important for me to read aloud to understand what the author was up to. So, there should be a lot to be gained from a poem.

Liking poetry? To not like poetry would almost be the same as not liking Santa Claus, don't you think??

In Baltimore there lived a boy.
He wasn't anybody's joy.
Although his name was Jabez Dawes,
His character was full of flaws.

In school he never led his classes,
He hid old ladies' reading glasses,
His mouth was open when he chewed,
And elbows to the table glued.
He stole the milk from hungry kittens,
And walked through doors marked NO ADMITTANCE.
He said he acted thus because
There wasn't any Santa Claus.

Of course, that is
The Boy Who Laughed at Santa Claus by Ogden Nash :).

Please don't undersize fonts. It makes it much harder for low vision members.

Have increased font size, Bottesini.

I participate on a couple of hobby forums and have NEVER been given so many options in the message boxes! Too many choices = confusion.

Thank you for letting me know.

Oh, that's cute! I like that poem. I really enjoy a good rhyme. Here's a fun one I read by Wendy Cope. If you have ever been in an argument with someone who was wrong, but refused to admit it--this poem captures what it's like:

"He Tells Her"

He tells her that the Earth is flat—
He knows the facts, and that is that.
In altercations fierce and long
She tries her best to prove him wrong.
But he has learned to argue well.
He calls her arguments unsound
And often asks her not to yell.
She cannot win. He stands his ground.

The planet goes on being round.

—Wendy Cope

:D

And here's one more, a silly little drinking toast I found somewhere. But I like it!

When God made Man, he made him out of string.
He had a little left, so He left a little thing.
When God made Woman, He made her out of lace.
He didn't have enough, so He left a little place.

Ha! Ha! Ha!

Ahem . . . Well, it gave me a chance to look at Wendy Cope, Hotaru. Ha! She "invented" a poet! Yes, I like that. He is probably much like me. Sure. Listen to Ms. Cope:

"These are 'Strugnell's Haiku' where I've tried to combine the feeling of Japanese Haiku with the banality of poor old Strugnell."

The cherry blossom
In my neighbour's garden - Oh!
It looks really nice.

The leaves have fallen
And the snow has fallen and
Soon my hair also...

November evening:
The moon is up, rooks settle,
The pubs are open.

Drinking song, you say?

Back