Degrees of hearing loss and speech scores!

Have a look in the scientific literature. A lot of numbers, either successes and failures are well reported. Although some statistical analysis can be biased somehow and not every data set is really and completely significant, the overall advantage of CI over HA emerges pretty clearly.

I did take a look at case studies and all of those individuals were profoundly deaf, many with even worse hearing than me. The failures ive seen weren't due to that person having too much residual hearing and hearing less with CI than HA. That person simply didn't hear with HAs and had so little residual hearing that any improvement with CI was considered a success. I have yet to see a case study of someone with a decent amount of residual hearing getting CI. Such people would never be CI candidates as the audiologists surely make them try every HA first, including transposition and it works and thats what im seeing in those case studies!

Deafdude, you are right saying that the most of people who shift to CI do not get the maximum from HAs.

Often, less than the maximum may still be too "good" to consider CI. Insurance will probably turn you down, then it's your $50,000 and choice if you want a 5db improvement or a 10% improvement and that's only if you get a good result with CI.

I believe this is extremely difficult and time consuming. One should try different HAs (think about the costs here), several different settings, get used to every single change and only after a long time (many years?) being able to derive a result.

CI comes at a $50,000 tag per ear as well as many risks. HAs are risk free and cost $2500 per HA. You can't compare the two. I stick by my words that CI is a last resort.

My thoughts go to the children: this is so difficult for adults, how the hell can it be possible with babies? You can find that HAs, even at their best, cannot help and you are over the deadline for having the most from CI.

How do you determine "can not help" I had a 100db loss at 1000Hz and above when I was young and I was helped to some degree with HAs. CI didn't become FDA approved for children till 1990 and early CI technology would have been worse than HAs for anyone who had residual hearing. Your speech score had to be 0% back then. Another thing is I don't buy the "deadline" because there are prelingual adults who are 40 who benefit nicely from CI.

It is a matter of fact that young children implanted around 2 years of age usually performs very good. I met some of them, completely or profoundly deaf able to score nearly 100% and anyway able to discuss with me in a real life environment, without any apparent problem (and they are very young, 4.5 to 6.5). Could they reach this results in such a short time with HAs? Better, besides the completely deaf, could they reach similar results at all?
Statistics and these cases I experienced personally seem to tell that CI are much easier to be programmed than HAs over a certain amount of hearing loss.

That is a different story when someone is completely deaf or is profoundly deaf with at least 100db loss in most frequencies with a large cochlear dead region. Those who are less deaf can certainly reach those results with proper fitting HAs. You stand correct that CI is easier to program for good results once the hearing loss gets to 100+ db with a large cochlear dead region.

You deafdude are a clear example of a person with an important HL, very well aided, extremely competent in understanding how a HA can help, performing significantly good, but you can understand 50% of what your dad says without lipreading. What about unknown people in a general environment?

Much less, sometimes even 0% with alot of background noise or if the speaker doesn't talk slow and clearly. I usually just face the speaker(it's only polite anyway) and look at the speaker's lips. Many people are surprised to learn that I am hearing impaired(deaf unaided) as I understand over 80% of what they say by reading their lips. I fail to understand how others struggle so much, are they not good at reading lips?

I agree on the correlation about db and speech comprehension, there is for sure a link. Anyway the function is not linear, definitely. The correlation between audiogram and speech comprehension is extremely complex.

Understood and I am here to learn about this correlation. How does db correlate to speech for those mildly HOH unaided, those moderately HOH with different amounts of amplification, those with CI, those profoundly deaf? I have learned that those with a 20db HL can miss 10% of speech, those with 30db HL can miss 25% speech, at 40db HL you miss 50% speech and above 50db HL you are deaf to speech!

I could understand someone profoundly deaf who scores 0% speech still scoring 0% with maximum amplification because his hearing is so poor and distorted. But if someone was scoring 20% speech aided to 40db, why wouldn't being aided to 30db or even 20db(if possible) further improve speech scores? I know that more amplification does not equal more clarity but it improves the quantity and puts you higher up on the speech banana. You guys are welcome to try this: Have someone talk to you from across the room then turn the volume on your HAs down. You will miss more and more speech!

Getting the most out of a HA is very important and can give good results. Still expectations cannot be even close to that a CI can give. For profound deaf people HAs can be a big help, but it is difficult they can enable listening to the radio or TV (without subtitles), or hearing in difficult environments... CI cannot guarantee it, maybe only a few reach that level, but there are at least those few... It's a matter of expectations, or better of hopes and opportunities.

The radio is one thing I can't listen to. For those driving, they want to focus on the road and not be distracted by the radio anyway. For others, simply turn on the TV and read the CC.

Since it is obvious that audiogram cannot be the explanation (CI hardly can do better than 30db across the board, you are teaching to me), there should be something else. I would like to understand what's that.

I am learning the same thing as well. I do know that two identical audiograms can have very different results if one audiogram is due to cochlear dead zones where the "responses" don't truly exist but are due to off-frequency hearing. The other reason has to do with your auditory processing capabilities and is the same story for CI. You need to train your brain or your speech scores will be low.

more amplification does not mean BETTER hearing for everyone! seriously. turn up the volume on my hearing aid more (even with the Naida), everything sounds distorted and loud and overwhelms my brain I can't make sense of anything.

At what frequencies did you get more amplification? You have cochlear dead regions in the lows and highs and your mid frequencies may be the only area of residual hearing. You do not want any amplification well into a cochlear dead zone! It is the same story for me! Turn up the volume in the higher frequencies and I experience exactly the same problem as you! My speech score does not improve at all! But turn up the volume in the lower frequencies and I hear more sounds and speech because I don't have cochlear dead regions in the lower frequencies! The lows for me may be the only area of residual hearing, but it's the most important as 60% of speech and sounds take place there.

So more amplification is not always the way to go, so quit trying to say EVERYONE needs more amplification on their HAs.

Fine, ill say some people need more amplification while other's don't(due to cochlear dead regions) The thing is you never know till you try amplifying different frequencies one at a time. More gains at one frequency may help while more gains at another may not help or even make things worse(again due to cochlear dead regions)

Everyone processes sound information in their own way, and not everyone is going to get the same results, so SHUT THE HELL UP AND QUIT PREACHING YOUR BS OVER AND OVER AND OVER. It does nothing. Everyone has DIFFERENT hearing levels and hearing aids and experiences, so just accept that fact and MOVE ON for god's sake.

You don't have to get rude and insulting about this. I am just trying to learn. :roll: Why don't you educate me? Ill be happy to learn!

If one feels like they're not hearing well enough, then they'll deal with it however they want to, whether that be readjusting the current aids, getting new HAs or going for CIs. It is each person's own personal choice and decision on what they want to do with their own hearing, and it is not your place to preach to them about increasing the amplification or whatever.

I don't care about any of this except when me and my friends get stuck paying higher insurance premiums because too many who could be benefitting with proper HAs are taking the easy way out and going for CI. I don't want to be subsidizing their very expensive CI option! I really wish insurance would pay up for HAs for the severe-profound deaf. Then alot more of those people will get to try proper HAs and stick with HAs since they would be free. I don't care at all for those who want to pay out of pocket for CI as I won't be spending any money on their CI.

If one was to have to TRY out every single hearing aid out there before going for a CI, that would take ages, as it takes TIME to get used to how 1 set of hearing aids work and sound, and takes time programming them just right and all that garbage. People aren't going to want to waste months trying a whole variety of hearing aids. They may try the "BEST" hearing aid on the market for a bit, and if that's not good enough for them then so be it.

If they want to spend a fortune($50,000+) on CI without trying different HAs at $2500 each, that's their choice. Just leave our money out of it! I will not pay a single penny to anyone with residual hearing towards a CI, not even for donation. Ill be happy to donate my old HAs(and I have) to help someone hear better. If I were very rich, I would buy a thousand HAs(bulk discount) and hire an expert audiologist to fit the deaf with them and watch their smiles as they hear. Some of them will hear better than they have ever in their lives!

I will be happy to "waste" months trying different HAs because there's always the chance I may end up hearing too much to qualify for CI with that one right pair of HAs. Who are you to tell others that HAs are not "good enough" I certainly do not want to spend $50,000 on CI or make insurance waste $50,000 paying my CI(which everyone will be paying for with higher insurance premiums) if everyone processes sound differently as you say then one brand of HA may process sounds in a such way that gives better results than another brand. It is my observation that 25% of those with CI could be hearing close to or equal to a CI with one of those HAs out there. We will never know because not every HA as well as every different amplification scheme was ruled out. CI may have been better than only that one HA they did try but no one can rule out that a different HA would not have been close to or equal to a CI! :roll:

How do you determine "can not help" I had a 100db loss at 1000Hz and above when I was young and I was helped to some degree with HAs. CI didn't become FDA approved for children till 1990 and early CI technology would have been worse than HAs for anyone who had residual hearing. Your speech score had to be 0% back then. Another thing is I don't buy the "deadline" because there are prelingual adults who are 40 who benefit nicely from CI.

Basically what they do is monitoring the progresses in language development (if the child is in the proper age), or the behavioral responses to language stimulation.
If the child is around 2 and no significant progresses arises after a certain time of HAs usage, it's time to consider CI...
The concept of deadlines is based on the brain plasticity, that in average, begins to decrease after 3 years of age. Unfortunately there is no method for measuring this fundamental property and while somebody has still impressive brain plasticity also over 30, somebody else can have a dramatic reduction at 3 or 4... From the statistical point of view this translates into "the erlier the better". Have a look to some works, it is evident that the % of children developing intelligible speech decrease of about 10-15% if implantation happens within 2, or between 2 and 4.
Of course in the data set there are children with some residual hearing, with no residual hearing, getting some benefit from HAs, not getting such benefit, with different speech therapists, different families, social status, intelligence, etc...

Understood and I am here to learn about this correlation. How does db correlate to speech for those mildly HOH unaided, those moderately HOH with different amounts of amplification, those with CI, those profoundly deaf? I have learned that those with a 20db HL can miss 10% of speech, those with 30db HL can miss 25% speech, at 40db HL you miss 50% speech and above 50db HL you are deaf to speech!

[...]

I am learning the same thing as well. I do know that two identical audiograms can have very different results if one audiogram is due to cochlear dead zones where the "responses" don't truly exist but are due to off-frequency hearing. The other reason has to do with your auditory processing capabilities and is the same story for CI. You need to train your brain or your speech scores will be low.

It is what I mentioned above: quality of speech therapy, help from family, intelligence, quality of mapping/setting, etc.
Very difficult to measure.

CI comes at a $50,000 tag per ear as well as many risks. HAs are risk free and cost $2500 per HA. You can't compare the two. I stick by my words that CI is a last resort.

LOL yeah right I wish. Insurance company was billed $83,000 by the surgery center alone for one ear. Of course the insurance company negotiated it down to 40,000. Keep in mind this doesn't cover the Pre Op, all testing, therapist, Audi, programming and of course the all the different Dr.s.

Have to say as a person that has had quite a few HAs over the years I've probably spent close to 30K on HAs (had them since I was 5). Prior to the implant in the left ear (which was 2 months ago) the best HA on the market for that ear was an analog that put out gains that no digital could touch when it came to amplification. Speech recognition was at 26% which is the best I ever got. When I got this HA 1 year ago I was at 20% it took me a year to get to 26% speech recognition. I wasn't happy with that so I started looking for better options and after 6 months of visiting different Audis, enduring countless tests, the frustration of trying different HAs and countless talks with HA Reps and techs none could say they had an answer for me several even asked if I had considered CI.

My CI was activated 4 weeks ago I was tested Friday after just 3 programming and received a 20% score. I'm quite confident that I will improve to well above 26% in just a few months. Family and friends are already saying they noticed a marked difference in my hearing in real world situations.

Personally I wish my parents would have had the guts to have me implanted at the earliest convince. Can't stop wondering how well I would be doing if they had.

I think it comes down to the fact that Deafdude thinks that hearing enviromental sounds at 5 db is more important than speech. In her last audio visit she was able to tell words like "gun" and "gum" apart at 50 db, 86% of the time. When she had her hearing aids she scored 1 out of 24 with "toothbrush" vs. "ice cream cone". Yeah, now she is at 100 db with her CI off, so she lost some residul hearing, and her CI can't be cranked up to 10 db at 250 Hz (but we would have NEVER done it anyway because it would have been so loud that it would have made it impossible to hear anything in any higher frequency) BUT look what we got instead!

Basically what they do is monitoring the progresses in language development (if the child is in the proper age), or the behavioral responses to language stimulation.
If the child is around 2 and no significant progresses arises after a certain time of HAs usage, it's time to consider CI...

What if the child learns to lipread and develops language on that as I have?

The concept of deadlines is based on the brain plasticity, that in average, begins to decrease after 3 years of age. Unfortunately there is no method for measuring this fundamental property.........
Of course in the data set there are children with some residual hearing, with no residual hearing, getting some benefit from HAs, not getting such benefit, with different speech therapists, different families, social status, intelligence, etc...

Big difference between some and no residual hearing! Also I got speech training as a child and speak clearly.

LOL yeah right I wish. Insurance company was billed $83,000 by the surgery center alone for one ear. Of course the insurance company negotiated it down to 40,000. Keep in mind this doesn't cover the Pre Op, all testing, therapist, Audi, programming and of course the all the different Dr.s.

I sometimes wonder why insurance even covers CI. It's not a life-saving procedure like a kidney transplant or heart surgery but the costs are up there. Besides most deaf people still have residual hearing and can still hear with HAs anyway and read lips to understand a high percent of speech. How much was your out of pocket cost?

Have to say as a person that has had quite a few HAs over the years I've probably spent close to 30K on HAs (had them since I was 5). Prior to the implant in the left ear (which was 2 months ago) the best HA on the market for that ear was an analog that put out gains that no digital could touch when it came to amplification.

Looking at your post here you had only 50db gains? I was getting 65db gains with Widex Senso digitals back in 1998! How's your Phonak Naida V UP in your right ear? I have the same HA!

Speech recognition was at 26% which is the best I ever got. When I got this HA 1 year ago I was at 20% it took me a year to get to 26% speech recognition. I wasn't happy with that so I started looking for better options and after 6 months of visiting different Audis, enduring countless tests, the frustration of trying different HAs and countless talks with HA Reps and techs none could say they had an answer for me several even asked if I had considered CI.

Is that 26% score in your better ear? What speech test was that? Im glad you did try different HAs, even though your loss was profound to rule out the possibility of a HA being out there that could give you acceptable results. That can't be said for others who didn't try different HAs, they can not rule out the possibility a HA could have gotten them acceptable results! Your hearing is worse than mine(got any audiogram scans?) so I can understand why you didn't do so well with any HA.

My CI was activated 4 weeks ago I was tested Friday after just 3 programming and received a 20% score. I'm quite confident that I will improve to well above 26% in just a few months. Family and friends are already saying they noticed a marked difference in my hearing in real world situations.

So you hear the same with CI as with your HAs? What db are you hearing with CI now? Any audiograms of CI thresholds? Are you hearing more environmental sounds with CI? I hope they can program your CI correctly that it's much better than your HAs! With the degree of your loss, you stand an excellent chance with CI!

Personally I wish my parents would have had the guts to have me implanted at the earliest convince. Can't stop wondering how well I would be doing if they had.

CI in the past wasn't as good as it's today and you may not have been a candidate for CI till recently.

I think it comes down to the fact that Deafdude thinks that hearing enviromental sounds at 5 db is more important than speech. In her last audio visit she was able to tell words like "gun" and "gum" apart at 50 db, 86% of the time. When she had her hearing aids she scored 1 out of 24 with "toothbrush" vs. "ice cream cone". Yeah, now she is at 100 db with her CI off, so she lost some residul hearing, and her CI can't be cranked up to 10 db at 250 Hz (but we would have NEVER done it anyway because it would have been so loud that it would have made it impossible to hear anything in any higher frequency) BUT look what we got instead!

I tried this with dad and can sometimes tell "gun" and "gum" but wow do they sound remarkably similar! Lipreading I can easily differenate 100% of the time, not just 86%. I honestly think I hear better with HAs than what Miss Kat hears with HAs, but then I have better HAs and have them programmed better as well. Youve proven that her CI is better than only the HAs she has tried and has been programmed to only 30db. Ive asked before what age does the child must be for the audiologist to test for cochlear dead zones? Also how does Miss Kat do on the piano thud test in the nonimplanted ear and with CI?

10db is almost impossible with CI at any frequency. But with HA 10db and maybe even 0db is possible if one has enough residual hearing depending on the frequency. Today's best HAs can offer gains of as high as 80db at 1000Hz and as high as 70db in the lower and higher frequencies. Ill take 10db with HAs anyday over 30db with CI and I honestly expect my speech to be better than CI after stem cells gives me more residual hearing to the point I can be aided to 10db with HAs across the audiogram. If hearing at 10db with HAs(or even with CI) doesn't give me excellent speech, the problem is not my ears but my brain and it would be known as auditory processing disorder. At least at 10db I won't be missing much in the way of environmental sounds and hear way more sounds than at 30db.

Deafdude, people are different. They respond differently to you. Just because they have a less hearing loss than you doesnt mean they should have better hearing. There might be other factors into it. Or just because YOU think someone should do this or that, it's not YOUR right to tell people what to do!!

Also stop going on and on about Miss Kat, she is a child, her responses will be totally different

What if the child learns to lipread and develops language on that as I have?

Only 20% of spoken language is visible on the mouth. That is why lipreading is so difficult and unreliable.

Big difference between some and no residual hearing! Also I got speech training as a child and speak clearly.

But what do you understand? Can you walk up to a stranger and carry on a conversation. Just speaking clearly does not lead to understanding as well. I would much rather my daughter hear and understand speech than be able to say words clearly and not understand

I sometimes wonder why insurance even covers CI. It's not a life-saving procedure like a kidney transplant or heart surgery but the costs are up there. Besides most deaf people still have residual hearing and can still hear with HAs anyway and read lips to understand a high percent of speech. How much was your out of pocket cost?

$0 Medicaid paid 100% They believe it is a valid surgery.

So you hear the same with CI as with your HAs? What db are you hearing with CI now? Any audiograms of CI thresholds? Are you hearing more environmental sounds with CI? I hope they can program your CI correctly that it's much better than your HAs! With the degree of your loss, you stand an excellent chance with CI!

Again with DB! Why is more important to hear extremly soft enviromental sounds than understand speech and COMMUNICATE???

I tried this with dad and can sometimes tell "gun" and "gum" but wow do they sound remarkably similar! Lipreading I can easily differenate 100% of the time, not just 86%. I honestly think I hear better with HAs than what Miss Kat hears with HAs, but then I have better HAs and have them programmed better as well. Youve proven that her CI is better than only the HAs she has tried and has been programmed to only 30db. Ive asked before what age does the child must be for the audiologist to test for cochlear dead zones? Also how does Miss Kat do on the piano thud test in the nonimplanted ear and with CI?

86% was the overall test. "Gun" and "gum" were just 2 examples of the words on the test. And it wasn't just between those two words, each word said had 6 choices. So the audiologist says "gum" you have to know if it was "gum", "gun", "comb", or 4 other words which all sound very similar, but I don't remember what they were.

10db is almost impossible with CI at any frequency. But with HA 10db and maybe even 0db is possible if one has enough residual hearing depending on the frequency. Today's best HAs can offer gains of as high as 80db at 1000Hz and as high as 70db in the lower and higher frequencies. Ill take 10db with HAs anyday over 30db with CI and I honestly expect my speech to be better than CI after stem cells gives me more residual hearing to the point I can be aided to 10db with HAs across the audiogram. If hearing at 10db with HAs(or even with CI) doesn't give me excellent speech, the problem is not my ears but my brain and it would be known as auditory processing disorder. At least at 10db I won't be missing much in the way of environmental sounds and hear way more sounds than at 30db.

You hear at 10 db at ONE frequency! That will not lead to good speech understanding. Did you know that for vowel discrimination you have to hear both the first AND second formant? The first formant of "u" and "i" are both at 250 hz, so if you don't hear the second formant for "i" at over 2000 hz, you can't hear the difference. That is just one example of why hearing across ALL frequencies is important to speech understanding.

Did you know that Deafdude???

Deafdude, people are different. They respond differently to you. Just because they have a less hearing loss than you doesnt mean they should have better hearing. There might be other factors into it. Or just because YOU think someone should do this or that, it's not YOUR right to tell people what to do!!

Also stop going on and on about Miss Kat, she is a child, her responses will be totally different

I am just so tired of him advocating AGAINST something that can and does help so many people. If a parent of a young deaf children reads all the crap he writes they could get a very twisted view and their child could end up NOT gettingt something that could benefit them greatly.

I am just so tired of him advocating AGAINST something that can and does help so many people. If a parent of a young deaf children reads all the crap he writes they could get a very twisted view and their child could end up NOT gettingt something that could benefit them greatly.

Your point is well made, but if people base their decision soley on what they read from a message board alone, then they are doing a serious disservice to their child!

Your point is well made, but if people base their decision soley on what they read from a message board alone, then they are doing a serious disservice to their child!

Very true. But it really bothers me that he states what are clearly ONLY HIS OPINIONS like they are facts. He says all this junk about hearing aids and stem cells and has NOTHING to back any of it up.

Very true. But it really bothers me that he states what are clearly ONLY HIS OPINIONS like they are facts. He says all this junk about hearing aids and stem cells and has NOTHING to back any of it up.

Anybody who comes here is going to notice this very quickly. Try not to worry too much.

Hope your daughter is having a fun year. :)

Anybody who comes here is going to notice this very quickly. Try not to worry too much.

Hope your daughter is having a fun year. :)

She loves it. I am the worried one. (I stand outside that classroom door everyday!)

She loves it. I am the worried one. (I stand outside that classroom door everyday!)

She will get you reassured soon, I bet. From your blog, she seems strong minded and self confident. That counts for more than anything.

Does he really?

Does deafdude really think that people & insurance companies would spend up to $50,000 a pop for something that works as bad as he claims CI's do?

I don't think deafdude really truly knows all the facts and info on implants, to tell you the truth. But then again, what do I know? All I know is I'm tired of his BS posts (and of his little groupie doing the same).

I don't think deafdude really truly knows all the facts and info on implants, to tell you the truth. But then again, what do I know? All I know is I'm tired of his BS posts (and of his little groupie doing the same).

I don't think he has a remote understanding of how amplification and CI's work or even a small understanding of we hear speech, and discriminate the different sounds

I don't think he has a remote understanding of how amplification and CI's work or even a small understanding of we hear speech, and discriminate the different sounds

That too. Seems like his mind is firmly set on the fact that if he can do so well with his own hearing aids, then EVERYONE ELSE should too! Erm... no, everyone's got their own brains and their own brains function in their own ways and take in information differently. .....

cdmeggers:
That too. Seems like his mind is firmly set on the fact that if he can do so well with his own hearing aids, then EVERYONE ELSE should too! Erm... no, everyone's got their own brains and their own brains function in their own ways and take in information differently. .....

Which is why I've stated in the past my belief that such a diagnosis should be made by the patient's qualified audiologist. No one on this board can do so nor can they truly understand what someone else has already tried/been through regarding this. The audiologist will know more about their patients' ability to discriminate sounds and what they can utilize moreso than anyone on this board (or any online board) can.

cdmeggers:

Then you don't have to read the posts or participate in the discussions if you're tired of them. No one's forcing you to do so. Others choose to stir lively debate about the various treatments involved for hearing loss, including hearing aids, cochlear implants, and appropriate amplification. That's what a "discussion forum" is for, is it not?

Stem cells will have its own discussion forum on these forums soon as a treatment for hearing loss. But, we have stopped posting new threads about stem cells at the request of the moderators.

Back