Defunct dishwasher!

dogmom

Reaction score
soooo.....it's about 10:30 here and today was a very busy day, got home from dog training and determined that hubby thinks non-functioning dishwasher needs a new part, based on his testing. I washed the dishes and tomorrow need to mess with the repairs - hopefully we'll be able to get someone to look!

:ty: yes!
we don't seem to have very good luck with dishwashers, we had to replace the first one in the last few years. I'm not sure how old this one is. I'll look for the paperwork tomorrow-

soooo.....it's about 10:30 here and today was a very busy day, got home from dog training and determined that hubby thinks non-functioning dishwasher needs a new part, based on his testing. I washed the dishes and tomorrow need to mess with the repairs - hopefully we'll be able to get someone to look!

Good luck. Yesterday I opened up my old dishwasher and found a leaking water intake valve. I stopped by the Maytag store for the part, but they do not make them any more. Erk. I will look in Ebay before I call a priest for its last rites.

Maytag has been out of business for a couple of years now hasn't it? I remember the Maytag Man on TV when I was a kid.

As far as dishwashers go, I recommend NOT buying a Bosch. We have one and from the get go it has been giving us problems. It's functioning, but the dishes never come out clean despite using the recommended soap and correct dish placement. We tried various combinations but nothing really works. We end up doing more dishes in the sink than in the dishwasher now. This will be the last dishwasher my parents will purchase. When this one goes out, I am sure they will remove it and find something to fill the space up. Probably make added storage space.

Maytag has been out of business for a couple of years now hasn't it? I remember the Maytag Man on TV when I was a kid.

As far as dishwashers go, I recommend NOT buying a Bosch. We have one and from the get go it has been giving us problems. It's functioning, but the dishes never come out clean despite using the recommended soap and correct dish placement. We tried various combinations but nothing really works. We end up doing more dishes in the sink than in the dishwasher now. This will be the last dishwasher my parents will purchase. When this one goes out, I am sure they will remove it and find something to fill the space up. Probably make added storage space.

Nope. They're still in business.

Sorry to hear about your dishwasher, dogmom... and everyone...
I do hope your repairs will be easy and... less expensive.

I don't know if it is what you have same problem right now below:

Maytag Dishwasher Recall's link:
www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/​07094.html

http://www.product-reviews.net/2010/06/03/maytag-dishwasher-recall-2010-list-of-attected-units/

Maytag Dishwasher Recall 2010: List of Affected Units
By: Alan Ng | June 3, 2010 | More In: Alternative News
Some particularly worrying news to inform you about now, as it has just been confirmed that MayTag, a company part of Whirlpool Corp. are recalling as many as 1.7 million of their dishwasher units, over potential fire hazard risks.
As reported from Huffington Post, the recall has been announced by the Consumer Product Safety Commission, who has revealed that 12 separate reports of electrical failures in the dishwashers have caused fires or similar damage.

Other dishwashers affected by the recall of include Amana, Jenn-Air, Admiral, Magic Chef, Performa by Maytag and Crosley brand dishwashers with plastic tubs. The CPSC advises consumers who own one of these units to stop using the unit and immediately disconnect the power supply.

If you do own one of the dishwashers listed above, you can contact Maytag to arrange a free in-home repair, or instead choose to receive a rebate of $150 or $250 toward the purchase of a new Maytag dishwasher – in a select range.

The good news is that no injuries have been reported yet. Do you own one of the dishwashers listed above? If so – get in touch with us with your views on this.

Again, I am sorry to hear that and let us know how it goes. Good luck!

ha i have a dishwasher problem lately. lol it s been like that for a couple of months. It runs then stop then runs then stop. lol my hub and i have other things on our minds to fix the house first rather than the dishwasher. But literally we need dishwasher to be working! heheh

Must be an epidemic. My dishwasher, only a year old, has had so many issues I tried to invoke the lemon law for household appliances. There isn't one, sadly. But, thank God, I have the PSE&G appliance protection warranty, about $400 a year covers all the major stuff that is not still under warranty from the manufacturer.

While waiting for them to sort it out, order parts etc, I had to spend a few months washing by hand. Not so bad.

What's wrong with it?

At my old job as an apartment maintenance supervisor, I fixed/installed more dishwashers than I can count. Most of the time, it was something easy...

I know the feeling about dishwashers. When I first moved to this house, it had a relic model and I finally replaced it with a refurb model a year later due to broken door and burnt electrical smell. it ran great for almost 8 years and then the circuit board in door started flashing codes. After some troublshooting, I find that buying part from appliace internet store is only 100 bucks less then a whole new washer. so out with old and in with new again. this current washer didnt seem to wash well like the old one we had for 8 years. sigh. at least it works and does most of dishes. anything that doesnt wash weell, I just wash by hand. at least its less work lol!

ha i have a dishwasher problem lately. lol it s been like that for a couple of months. It runs then stop then runs then stop. lol my hub and i have other things on our minds to fix the house first rather than the dishwasher. But literally we need dishwasher to be working! heheh

your issue sounds electrical. I would check the wire connection under the washer first. then the breaker. sometimes the breaker would have overload one too many times, the arcing just push the metal contacts apart that the breaker needs replacing. just like my old house .

*Knock on wood!*...My dishwasher is a necessity in my home...No problems yet. We use it several times a day. Otherwise, we would buy paper plates, as I really hate to wash dishes...and my boys do a terrible job at it.

Since you have a dog, just set the dishes on the floor! Clean! :P
*ducking shoes*

My dad constantly complained about my family's dishwasher. One day, he gave in and removed the whole blasted thing, took it to a dumpster and dumped it right there.

My mom wasn't too happy so my dad went to a thrift shop, bought us a cheap vintage dishwasher from the 80's... Guess what? Older dishwashers are way better quality than the ones nowadays. So far, no problem with it at all. :)

:lol:

I have all GE (gas) stove, fridge, and dishwasher except the washer/dryer set. They are Kenmore. All are 6 and half years old. (I bought all at same time.)
I have no problems with them. *Knock on wood!*

Our dishwasher is on it's last legs. It's not really cleaning the dishes anymore. It is 25 years old and is a Maytag. Also, the racks are all rusted and it's hard to put the dishes in.

Found out last week, that our new (less than a year old) refrigerator has been recalled or discontinued. For some reason they can't get parts to fix a problem with the freezer, so the appliance store is replacing with a newer model at no charge.

Back