Deep Fried

sonocativo

Reaction score
Catfish, thats whats for Brunch....

Too many bones for me...haven't ate Catfish since I got a bone stuck in my throat....was a living hell.

Ive never gotten bones in the nuggets or fillets...mainly store bought fresh, but do buy frozen from time to time. Never had issues with bones even when fishing and self filleting them, guess you just got a bad one, Ive never gotten bones in any ordered out either. Are you sure it was catfish? some places swap fish for another type thats close in texture and taste ( and some places are getting fined if caught doing so) Tallipia and some others have lots of fine bones, we bought some different types of fish ( my wife wanted to try different ones as she didnt care for fish, but she likes the way I cook them and will eat fish when I do cook it ) Salmon is top of the list !!!

I cant find the good post on this, but people who dont know their fish can and do end up with something different, thinking they have an expensive cut and its actually a cheaper species.
One In Three Fish Sold At Restaurants And Grocery Stores Is Mislabeled : The Salt : NPR

Fish frequently mislabeled in L.A. restaurants and stores | L.A. NOW | Los Angeles Times

Too many bones for me...haven't ate Catfish since I got a bone stuck in my throat....was a living hell.

I had catfish last year, deep fried and all. Of course, my parents removed all the bones first, and fried the fish in Louisana breadcrumbs. Yummy!!

I love grilled catfish with cajun seasoning and a fresh lemon squeezed over it. Although I have never tried deep fried in peanut oil, a friend highly recommended it.

I like Cajun Rattlesnake, Cajun Alligator, both have the texture of fish, but very flavorful.... I just love spicey foods so Cajun it is with real butter !!!!
EDIT... if you get rattlesnake or any snake meat, there is thousands of hair fine bones in it. If you eat it bbq'd ot grilled..ect... you have to pick out the bones. I have it pressure cooked first then BBQ'd with cajun seasonings, the bones are tender from pressure cooking that it is simular to eating sardines ( crunchy edible bones )

My dad would throw catfish back into the ocean so we never had them. I never had any deep fried food at home to think of it.

They're freshwater fish but they are bottom scavengers and carnivorous. It's much why many people don't like to eat sharks.

However, catfish are picky eaters. The average human has 10,000 taste buds. The catfish has over 100,000.

I used to eat fried catfish when growing up. Jacksonville would have festivals and such and they were popular eats. I was always jittery because of stories and warnings I'd hear of the tiny bones getting stuck in the throat. I like the taste but didn't deem it tasty enough to risk a lacerated esophagus.

We were feeding the catfish in my pics cat food. Have been doing that one or two nights every summer for the last 25+ years.

My siblings and I did a lot of fishing in the backwoods of Carolina...caught a lot of Catfish & Redfin Pikes.....Also caught a very, very Huge Catfish in St. Augustine years ago....and would not eat that!...They eat anything, nasty fish!...Seems the old timey remedy for a bone caught in ur throat was to drink Milk...eat biscuits...Dunno how I managed to get that big bone down my throat...but my grandma gave me a cornmeal fritter to eat...took awhile, it finally passed on down....

We were feeding the catfish in my pics cat food. Have been doing that one or two nights every summer for the last 25+ years.

I remember that!! My stepmom and Dad had either cat food or dog food, and they said the smell of the food attracts the fish, and makes it easier to catch them. I found that interesting that they had a bag of it on the boat.

Tilapia are also another scavenger type fish, and I was just watching a cooking show that said they must be heavily seasoned due to that.

To me catfish taste like what I imagine wet mud to be like.

I never eat it. I really only like ocean fish like halibut and flounder, although I am probably killing myself with mercury that way... But at least it is enjoyable. :P

Tilapia are also another scavenger type fish, and I was just watching a cooking show that said they must be heavily seasoned due to that.

To me catfish taste like what I imagine wet mud to be like.

I never eat it. I really only like ocean fish like halibut and flounder, although I am probably killing myself with mercury that way... But at least it is enjoyable. :P

LOL I love your witty humor! :P Try this: I sautee perch in a splash of oil seasoned in a bit of salt, pepper, basil, and lemon juice. They cook fast, don't allow to dry. Of ALL the times I cooked fish to know this!

The hardhead catfish (Ariopsis felis) is a saltwater species of sea catfish ... the Western Atlantic Ocean, around the southeast coast of the United States, ... These barbels help the catfish find crabs, fish and shrimp in the muddy bays where they live. ... Juveniles that are still under the protection of the male mouthbrooder will ...

Wrong ! :nana: Some live salt water

The hardhead catfish (Ariopsis felis) is a saltwater species of sea catfish ... the Western Atlantic Ocean, around the southeast coast of the United States, ... These barbels help the catfish find crabs, fish and shrimp in the muddy bays where they live. ... Juveniles that are still under the protection of the male mouthbrooder will ...

Wrong ! :nana: Some live salt water

I believe its Brackish... not actually the ocean?

Fried Shrimp.... :D

Back