Declaration of Occupy Wall Street

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would that include the college grads that gave up looking for work? That is the kind of comment usually reserved for Obama supporters that point to lower unemployment figures as proof the stimulus is working. (Personally, I think it failed miserably) The real number of unemployed college grads could be something like 7 or 8%. Who really knows, but certainly it is possible. BTW, I find that figure a ghastly number for those that spent $100k+ for an education, making them go deeply into debt, only to find they are squeezed out by selfish CEOs that want to ship work overseas to increase profits; avoiding anti-pollution and labor laws in the process. Greed is really the bottom line here.

My guess is the second figure is 6 maybe 7. That chart show participation and college grads are the highest number.

If they can't find a job perhaps they should start their own business. Surely with a $100k education they are smart enough to do that. But then again they weren't smart enough to avoid going $100k in debt for college in the first place so who knows. :) no one forced them to take the loans though and if anyone promised them a job they should sue that person/company.

My guess is the second figure is 6 maybe 7. That chart show participation and college grads are the highest number.

If they can't find a job perhaps they should start their own business. Surely with a $100k education they are smart enough to do that. But then again they weren't smart enough to avoid going $100k in debt for college in the first place so who knows. :) no one forced them to take the loans though and if anyone promised them a job they should sue that person/company.
Not everyone is a business tycoon that can weave through red tape. Being smart does not equal smart in everything. Some of the lowest IQ scoring folks I have met in my life can tear apart a car engine and reassemble it, something I could never do, but they would have no chance in the world of finance. We all have talents for certain things. Start their own business? Who pays for the failed business loans that float around? How many new companies stick in these difficult economic times?

The global financial picture is so incredibly complex it's probably impossible for any one person fully understand. Every time I think about it I realize there are more pressure points than I previously considered. Heck, we are still analyzing the financial picture from the last great depression. It's really hard to know the full impact of a policy, law, or trend until it's run it's course. And even then you may not catch all the little things that happened because of it.

How can we trust what a political candidate is saying about the financial crisis when we cannot even begin to understand it?

Almost completly of the point but I went to Burning Man Decompression yesterday in San Francisco and my friend dressed up as the 99% Superhero!

293439_10150404239662803_596617802_9988911_2024671649_n.jpg

;)

i'm tired of these people... I ask them questions and they go "EDUCATE YOURSELF".... I then say, ok, what do I educate myself on.. "Go on the internet and research!"

bah, they're weak.

A lot of my close friends/family is going to occupy denver. I find it a waste of time.

I have been taught by a wise man that if you cannot explain something effectively and clearly, you do not know what you are talking about. Protests are different in the sense that only a few can clearly and effectively explain their positions and the reasons for them, while the rest follow them. However, protests are an effective way to get folk to start discussing the issues at hand. That is why I like them. :)

Not everyone is a business tycoon that can weave through red tape. Being smart does not equal smart in everything. Some of the lowest IQ scoring folks I have met in my life can tear apart a car engine and reassemble it, something I could never do, but they would have no chance in the world of finance. We all have talents for certain things. Start their own business? Who pays for the failed business loans that float around? How many new companies stick in these difficult economic times?

Business loan? That's right up there with school loans....

If these college kids aren't smart enough to know you have to pay back your loans perhaps we should end school loans. Nothing weong with working your way through.

Business loan? That's right up there with school loans....

If these college kids aren't smart enough to know you have to pay back your loans perhaps we should end school loans. Nothing weong with working your way through.
Just a FYI; as the Conservatives constantly remind the world, Obama has kept unemployment rates at levels unseen since the Depression.

Taking for granted that these students can find meaningful work to support their college years? Again with the assumption that going to college means they should all be financial wizards. Do you really think that anyone that has no job, no money saved, with a degree, can collect enough aluminum cans, sell enough Kirby vacuums, panhandle in front of freeway ramps, and flip hamburgers at a rate that allows them to start a business without a loan? Come on. Not everyone is Bill Gates.

:gpost:

Capitalism has a very ugly side. Someone once told me that if I had any sense at all, I would buy something and sell it to the next person at a higher price. In essence, rip him off. I just cannot bring myself to do this, but Wall Street sure can. That is what the protest is about, more or less.

Wirelessly posted (droid)

Calling college kids stupid is not only non-persuasive, it makes one look like a bitter old person. There is no reason to pit age groups against each other, and it's a sign of toxic leadership.
The point is that financial pros shouldn't be able to make obscene profits with fraudulent paper pushing schemes only to be bailed out by ordinary working people. It's like that Dilbert strip in which Catbert puts a bunch of diseased cattle in a group to sell them.

Calling college kids stupid is not only non-persuasive, it makes one look like a bitter old person. There is no reason to pit age groups against each other, and it's a sign of toxic leadership.
The point is that financial pros shouldn't be able to make obscene profits with fraudulent paper pushing schemes only to be bailed out by ordinary working people. It's like that Dilbert strip in which Catbert puts a bunch of diseased cattle in a group to sell them.

Exactly. We need to hold these people and those in power accountable. And that goes for those who have power over ordinary people ie bosses, politicans etc..

Speaking of Dilbert....
t5shgl.jpg

Who pays for all the expenses of these "occupy" movements? That is, who pays for the extra police hours, the massive clean up of debris, the lost business, overflowing toilets, vandalism, etc.?

Who pays for all the expenses of these "occupy" movements? That is, who pays for the extra police hours, the massive clean up of debris, the lost business, overflowing toilets, vandalism, etc.?

The employed.

Just a FYI; as the Conservatives constantly remind the world, Obama has kept unemployment rates at levels unseen since the Depression.

Taking for granted that these students can find meaningful work to support their college years? Again with the assumption that going to college means they should all be financial wizards. Do you really think that anyone that has no job, no money saved, with a degree, can collect enough aluminum cans, sell enough Kirby vacuums, panhandle in front of freeway ramps, and flip hamburgers at a rate that allows them to start a business without a loan? Come on. Not everyone is Bill Gates.

No doubt the unemployment rate is high. But, the point is it is not very high for college grads. There is a big gap.

You can start a service industry business for a few $. It's more about hard work than money.

No doubt the unemployment rate is high. But, the point is it is not very high for college grads. There is a big gap.

You can start a service industry business for a few $. It's more about hard work than money.
Well, that might not seem so, but 7%, which you willingly admit is possible, even probable, makes things quite difficult.

Imagine trying to find a job, any job, with creditors calling, your mortgage nearing default, and nobody willing to give you an interview. That is the reality many people wake up to daily. I understand your reasoning, but there are many thousands of highly educated people that are in the situation I just described; people with degrees and many years of experience in their field.

Since you are basking in the fruits of your labors, you do not have to look for work. It seems a bit incredulous to expect everyone to attempt to start a business when times are tough. Easy for you to say, but it reeks of smugness. Sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back