Deb got turned on today

Deb1hd

Reaction score
:roll: I got turned on today. but I really don't have alot to report at this time. To me everything sounds like Alvin and the chipmunks. It might take a while to get use to everything because I have gone 30 years with no high pitch sounds. So in my implanted ear everything is high pitch and in my unplanted ear everything is bass... now if i could just pull them together.. would be awesome... :lol:

So i just gotta say today I started my journey back into the hearing world. :wave:
Deb

sorry to hear you were turned off all these years. may the future bring you endless pleasure.

LOL. Why did I know you would visit this thread? You just liked the turned on title, didn't you?? :lol:

Deb, I wish you much happiness in the days ahead as you get used to new sounds!

:roll: I got turned on today. but I really don't have alot to report at this time. To me everything sounds like Alvin and the chipmunks. It might take a while to get use to everything because I have gone 30 years with no high pitch sounds. So in my implanted ear everything is high pitch and in my unplanted ear everything is bass... now if i could just pull them together.. would be awesome... :lol:

So i just gotta say today I started my journey back into the hearing world. :wave:
Deb

Congrats!

Yep, that is normal. Bells, whistles, squeaks, and that booming 30 second echo when you turn it off. It is going to be like that during the first week, next week it will be a little bit better and louder. Takes about 2-3 months to get the mapping just right, then your learning curve levels off in about 6 months.

I'm going through that right now on my second implant. Been turned on for 2 weeks now.

By the second week you should notice the following:

Mouse clicks are loud

Keyboard springs pop every time you press a key

Your breathing is louder than you thought

Analog clocks tick nonstop

It is a noisy world out there. Took me about a year to learn to ignore the sounds, now I don't notice them unless I specifically listen for them, which is what hearing people do.

Deb1HD: You will be hearing strange harmonic sounds at first which your audi will adjust called mapping. Thus very important to tell exactly what you are hearing.
The other surprise will be how much you pick up now which you never "heard before". I kept thinking someone was following me-footsteps. Yeah mine! Used to it now!

Just take it day by day as it does take "some time' to get used to the new sounds.

Implanted Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Deb,

Give it time and continue to be patient. Keep us posted. Wishing you all the best.
Rick

Best of luck with your activation Deb. Yes, it may take some getting used to. And if certain sounds seem to sound a little loud or uncomfortable, you can make a note of them so they can be adjusted in future mappings.

thanks everyone for the well wishes... I'm gonna hang in there..

PFH. Ive had alot of pleasures in my life... now endless pleasure would be something.

Deb
How did you hear before your CI, did you use HA, did you benefit at all from them, were you able to hear with HA, what exactly you were getting of the HA?
Did you use the phone before? what the drs thinks of your results of the CI will be?

ski slope hearing loss in both ears ... profound hearing loss both ears.. haven't used a hearing aide in 25 years. when I did it only gave me 10 percent help. I had 12 percent speech recognition in left ear and 24 percent in the right. I can hear on the phone with my right ear only to people that i know.( men are easier) I can't understand people that don't know on the phone. The doctor says that what I explained to him when he turned the implant on is what alot of people hear at first. I think one of my problems is i have tinnitus so bad in that ear and trying to hear over it.. kinda crazy right now...I'm sure it will calm down and all come together... I will keep everyone posted on how it goes... :)

You were hearing the phone without a hearing aid?, so your hearing loss was less than 100db? or more?
I'm sorry about the tinnitus, did you have it before or it came with the CI, if it came with CI then this is horrible, I hate it when I get the tinnitus

Ill try to find my hearing test and post it tomorrow for you. i think i drop off the scale at 500 . i know it is a steep drop. I have always had the tinnitus. It's just real loud now in my implanted ear... I have been told that will calm down... And i think it will because when i first started loosing my hearing years ago the tinnitus was real loud to... then it just kinda calmed down but has never gone away.

There is not really a whole lot to update on at this point.I still have really loud tinnitus in my implanted ear and I'm having to go to balance therapy. After i was activated on the 20th I was unable to really make out anything. I think my brain now is trying to separate some of the sounds. I can tell when the microwave goes off and the beeps when the CI is first turned on.. to me all the sounds I'm getting are high pitch nothing bass... i think if i could get some bass that I would be able to hear better. I go for another mapping later this week... They did give me a computer program with the implant called Sound and Way Beyond, It s a training program and i use this everyday for about an hour and a half. the program shows that I have made some progress... I guess with me it is gonna be baby steps.

Yep.. 4 days after surgery i woke up and my balance was totally off. So i just started taking balance therapy yesterday. They said in about 8 weeks I should be good to go.. I guess it is a matter of getting everything lined up again :)

I was also told to do some walking exercise. That is after I saw the doctor first, one week after surgery.

Back