Death of All Current Sidekicks

The deaf plan with AT&T for the iPhone is $45.00 (if you don't use much data bandwidth, you can get the $35.00 plan). Personally I think you should switch to AT&T, better coverage. And you can jailbreak the iPhone which gives you a LOT of things you can do like free apps and stuff

I'm not really planning to get an iphone though. I just want a simple texting/data phone, not a super fancy/super smart device like the iphone. Will speak with AT&T next month when they've taken over Alltel. I don't know. Can you get just data only on the iphone? I have an ipod touch (3rd generation) which I take with me everywhere, would be even better if it had cellphone wireless capabilities since Wifi isn't available at a lot of places here (including work). if I had the iphone, I could possibly sell off the ipod touch or something, right? how does IMing work on it? Is there any relay apps available on the iphone (I haven't even thought to check for this on my ipod touch). I do like my QWERTY keyboard but have used the touchscreen keyboard. decisions, decisions!

Got to do some research I suppose haha. The $35 data plan would probably work for me, I don't know. Again, will have to talk to an AT&T rep sometime next month when they start up. I know with ATT's iphone you can multitask but not on the Verizon iphone. verizon doesn't offer just data only with their iphones, do they? Idon't care about voice, I just want data only! haha.

My Sidekick LX 2009 is sooooon dying... This afternoon (after work), I went to Verizon store to look for a mobile device, like Blackberry, for example... (I already have a HTC INSPIRE 4G, which belongs to my company... It's OK... )
I was surprised to see that there are a few devices... and they are out of date... I like Verizon because it has the best coverage but one thing is that they don't support deaf service... *That's discrimination!* :pissed:
Well, I was disappointed about this...
I am still looking.... Maybe I will stop by Sprint...

My Sidekick LX 2009 is sooooon dying... This afternoon (after work), I went to Verizon store to look for a mobile device, like Blackberry, for example... (I already have a HTC INSPIRE 4G, which belongs to my company... It's OK... )
I was surprised to see that there are a few devices... and they are out of date... I like Verizon because it has the best coverage but one thing is that they don't support deaf service... *That's discrimination!* :pissed:
Well, I was disappointed about this...
I am still looking.... Maybe I will stop by Sprint...

Do you have a mobile device under Verizon? I was wondering - Do they have wireless IP-Relay or i711 Wireless Relay & Beyond? I already asked them about this and they all said they never heard of it. Any advice? :ty:

I have been a Sidekick junkie since January 2004. I just started using the EVO and I have been unhappy with it. It is WAY too sensitive for me.

ncmacasl, may I follow you at Twitter? I remember you from the SK forums.

It's nearing the end! I have a friend, who is not very techy, and he wants me to help him to find something today! I hope the TMO offer in their letter is still valid. He's leaning on me to suggest a new phone. Considering his lack of tech knowledge, I'm thinking Blackberry since it will be easy to learn. However, he may want video relay, or other apps, so I'm checking other phones out. The new Sidekick looks too hard for him to learn. What would you recommend? Got to decide today! Sure wish we had done this earlier.

Not a Blackberry user myself, but a lot of people complain about how tiny the keyboard is and how easy it is to "fat finger" a response, i.e., not hit the right key. A friend of mine who just bought a new iPhone absolutely loves it and thinks the keyboard is far, far better than her old Blackberry.

It's nearing the end! I have a friend, who is not very techy, and he wants me to help him to find something today! I hope the TMO offer in their letter is still valid. He's leaning on me to suggest a new phone. Considering his lack of tech knowledge, I'm thinking Blackberry since it will be easy to learn. However, he may want video relay, or other apps, so I'm checking other phones out. The new Sidekick looks too hard for him to learn. What would you recommend? Got to decide today! Sure wish we had done this earlier.

If he been using sidekick phone for a long time then I would recommend he stick with sidekick.

It not hard but have a huge learning curve since it a completely different OS but once he get the hang of it then he should be able to pick up Andriod pretty quickly

I know a woman who not "techy" and just recently switched to new sidekick about a month ago. It took her some time to get the hang of Andriod but she loved it now.

It pretty safe to say Android is gonna be around for a long time to come

So in future if he get a new phone which probably be available with Android and probably only new thing he will have to learn is where the power button :D cuz he should be expert with Android by then.

I agree with you TechBill. The only problem is that he will coming to me for help all of the time. I don't know if I am going to have time for that. You may be right though and I will explain that to him. The choice is his, not mine anyways.

I agree with you TechBill. The only problem is that he will coming to me for help all of the time. I don't know if I am going to have time for that. You may be right though and I will explain that to him. The choice is his, not mine anyways.

Yes he may come to you for help for awhile then he will get hang of using Andriod

But in future if he get different new phone with Andriod he won't be coming to you for help other than to help him make the right hardware choices :D

I think Android is gonna be around for a long time, manfacturers love free OS :D and not having to pay royality to OS creators like Windows for each OS they install on phones.

Also I got a good feeling RIM on Blackberry is gonna be outdated soon and not be around much longer either....... I think they gonna need to make major change to the BB OS to complete againist Android and iPhone then your friend will be stuck having to learn again if he replace his BB in future

Just a suggestion that all

Yes it would be up to your friend but I think you will benfit from this not having to help him more often in future if you invest your time now to teach him.

Because it what I am suggesting to SK folks around here and recommending them to Android which will also be popular OS among the VRS providers too knowing for awhile they will be coming to me for help.

I bet your friend came to you or went to someone for help when he first got his SK then got the hang of it and managed it all himself later.

Good points. It turns out he was not eligible for discount on Sidekick. Wee he he found out he decided for Sprint BB 9650. He will be fine for 2 years with that.

I don't think RIM is going anywhere. The BB is still a great email device They'll be fine. People are still buying it.

Good points. It turns out he was not eligible for discount on Sidekick. Wee he he found out he decided for Sprint BB 9650. He will be fine for 2 years with that.

I don't think RIM is going anywhere. The BB is still a great email device They'll be fine. People are still buying it.

I dont think rim is going anywhere soon either. the tour is a fine choice. I have one myself going almost 2 yrs now.

:lol: I haven't seen anyone using a Sidekick in a while. Most of them are using blackberries, Android based smart phones and iPhones.

:lol: I haven't seen anyone using a Sidekick in a while. Most of them are using blackberries, Android based smart phones and iPhones.

Me too but I didn't felt left out. :D The reason is that I ain't in hurry to get a smartphone due to lack of reception such as 3G and 4G in my area. Even at my work too! :( I live in the country and works in Hood River, OR but it does have 3G there but like I said I ain't in hurry.

Me too but I didn't felt left out. :D The reason is that I ain't in hurry to get a smartphone due to lack of reception such as 3G and 4G in my area. Even at my work too! :( I live in the country and works in Hood River, OR but it does have 3G there but like I said I ain't in no hurry.

:) Hope you get something when coverage grows or something.

Back