deafness and sadness

MINILEE

Reaction score
is this normal to be sad to look at the rest of your life and say this is forever?
this thought scares me since i am growin up.
i dont know how to shake this feeling...going through hearing aids, hearing test,checkups,schools,college,life period,marriage, its all scary and kids.....
how can i shake these feelings off? are these normal? do i need help?

Have you read the thread on Adjustment to late onset deafness? It was a world of help to me. I dealt with progressively worsening hearing loss while growing up and lost all my hearing at age 43. The main thing I can say is that lo0sing your hearing after going through a lot or a little in life you will go through stages of grief. There will be anger, sadness, depression, and acceptance. Some people can never accept it and still others will do what they can to bring some of their hearing back (HA's or CI's). In my case, I had the HA's off and on over the years and now, nothing will help and I am fine. I still go through periods of "why me?", but then I just remember that I am a strong individual and I can make it. The road over the last 3-4 years has not been real easy, but there are others who have it harder than me.

Just keep in mind, that it will get easier as time goes on. Just work through the stages of grief. It's kind of like the feeling you have if you have a death in the family. My mother and I went through the same stages when my father died. In essence, my hearing died, so I went through the grief process.

It's a hard adjustment, especially if ur young. I couldn't say it better than Kristina did.....as I remember the saddness and tears when I lost all of my hearing. The silence almost drove me crazy. But, be strong!....Life is full of ups & downs.

Minilee, it might be helpful to talk to a trusted person. It could be a teacher or your school counselor. You're dealing with a lot when you haven't really figured out who you are and what you want to do with your life. Know that you can graduate from college, get married and have kids even if you're not hearing. There are many deaf/hoh people here who have done all of these things and more.

I'm sorry that you're sad, but talking to the people on AD will help, and that's a guarantee. :( I've been like this since birth, but it continued to worsen. I used to be so frustrated too, feeling that I'll never get the equivalent goodness of what everyone else is getting. Then I learned of the benefits and the great people who are also deaf. I felt instantly better after I found this community of such nice people to talk to, all in the same shoes you and I are in. I wish the best for you!

Back