deafdrivethru.com

J22

Reaction score
Hey...

Check this out... deafdrivethru.com

Culver's, a popular Midwest restaurant chain has taken a step in making their drive thru accessible to the deaf and hard of hearing. With the installation of a system called OrderAssist, customers can use the drive through without having to worry about getting good service. OrderAssist is a product that is slowly gaining acceptance in the restaurant industry as a way to serve all customers. You will get a better idea of what the system does from the news video when you visit www.deafdrivethru.com. Also, there is a list of the locations where it is installed. There are 14 Culver's locations with OrderAssist in Wisconsin, 4 in Chicago area and several locations in 4 other states. I tried several times at Culver's in Buffalo Grove, Illinois. It's really nice because one night, there was a long line at drive thru. I wouldn't use the drive thru if they don't have the OrderAssist system. When my car was at the speaker position and I used the OrderAssist, it was good to know that the employees know I'm deaf that can't talk through the speaker. Also, it was nice to receive a menu with a blank paper & pen from them at the window. If there is a location near your home, why not give it a try. It would be nice for every drive thrus to have that system. We need to use it often to let them know that we need it in other restaurants.

J22.

Need more than JUST CULVER'S..... McD or Wendy's... come on MORE!!!!

I agree. This needs to be used nationwide for all drive thrus. It is a simple and inexpensive adaptation.

I used to live in Wisconsin and one of my favorite restaurants is Culver's!! Can't wait for Culver's to be in Oklahoma! They have really good ice cream with toppings of the day, every day is always different! My daughter used to work as waitress at Culver's. Would be nice when it has drive thru thats accessible to deaf people:)

Would be nice if it was everywhere Sometimes I have my son with me and he want to use drive thru so he does the talking for me. :D

Need more than JUST CULVER'S..... McD or Wendy's... come on MORE!!!!

100% agree with you.

If we (deaf and hard of hearing) are using the OrderAssist system a lot, the more Culver's locations will agree to add the OrderAssist System.

Then when many more Culver's locations decide to install OrderAssist system, it would influence on other companies' decision on OrderAssist system. Like McDonald's, Wendy's, Burger King, Whataburger, White Castle, etc.

So... now... if you know anybody who live in Wisconsin, I would strongly suggest you to show this website to that person. But you should spread out to your deaf friends anyway even if s/he lives in California. Other deaf friends may know somebody in Wisconsin or in one of those cities on the list.

GO MIZZOU by the way!! I'm a Mizzou fan!!

I used to live in Wisconsin and one of my favorite restaurants is Culver's!! Can't wait for Culver's to be in Oklahoma! They have really good ice cream with toppings of the day, every day is always different! My daughter used to work as waitress at Culver's. Would be nice when it has drive thru thats accessible to deaf people:)

Yeah, I'm addicted to their custard. Yumm!!

By any chance, do you know anybody still live in Wisconsin? If so, it's very likely that they may not know this. I'm sure they will happy to see that website.

a McDonalds near my home used to have much more accessible drive through but they changed it.

One late dark night, I drove through and yelled at them that they made a mistake by removing that - they used to have someone you could order face to face but changed it.

They thought I was crazy. Nonetheless, it is still inacessible :(

Screw these drive thrus....it is not only us deaf folks but also others who are speech impaired or not fluent in English verbally.

I never went back to that Mc Donalds again.:rl:

That's pretty cool , I agree need more at other places.

Ooo.. they have one in my area, but it's pretty far. I'll do the carpool with friends to see how we think of.

I hope they will use that method in restaurant chains nationwide...but I prefer to park my car and walk in because it saves gas and it's faster than waiting in a long line of cars in my experience. :)

Wow, that's a good idea for both deaf and hard of hearing. They should have done a long time ago, why not everywhere for the drive thur.

yea it was two years ago.. but i havent see them to spread it yet.. i am still waiting..

I went few months after my last post of this thread. I must say I like that food. It's unique, yet, they have their own root beer.

Back