Deafblind girl refuses to go to school after teachers BAN guide dog from dining hall

Going solely off of what is in the article, I am going to say that the girl needs to grow up and get over it.

The school is being more than accommodating with the dog. She is lucky that they have done as much as they have, honestly. They have worked very hard to make things fair for both students and should be commended for that. But unfortunately they couldn't get around a couple of situations so they did the next best thing they could, and asking her to leave her dog in another room for 30 minutes a day is NOT unreasonable.

The fact is, an allergy to a dog is a health issue, in some cases a matter of life or death. That should ALWAYS take precedence over someone else's convenience and preferences. She managed for most of her life without a dog and there are acceptable alternatives, especially for such a short amount of time each day. Yes, relying on another person or a cane sucks, but it's only temporary and it's the right thing to do to prevent impeding on someone else's health issue. It's not right to expect the allergic student to risk getting sick just because this immature little girl is "embarrassed to be seen with a cane."

Additionally, this girl has an unhealthy obsession or dependency on her dog. I HAD a service dog, I know what the bond is like, but I would have had no problem leaving Daisy in a nearby room for 30 frickin' MINUTES a day for the sake of someone else, especially after the school went to such great lengths to accommodate us elsewhere. Even if I DID have a problem with doing so, I certainly wouldn't have had a panic attack, or done the whole crying, shaking, drama queen bit over it. Give me a break.

In the end, this really has nothing to do with the dog or the job it does for her. Her needs can be sufficiently (even if not conveniently or fashionable) met with a person guide or a cane. It's not unreasonable to ask her to do that for the sake of another student. I bet what this is really about is that she just is throwing a spoiled brat fit because she doesn't want to give up what she has apparently come to see as her PET and not her working dog, or a status symbol, or some other reason like that. The dog is NOT necessary for 30 minutes of lunch, and they are not asking HER to not be with her peers, they are just asking her to leave the dog in another room for a very small amount of time out of the whole day.

She just needs to grow the hell up.
:werd:

I've seen a few people like that during my time at RIT. Most of them will get a hearing assistive dog only to treat them like pets and not hearing assistive dogs.

One student worked in a computer lab and brought her dog with her. I don't know if anyone complained of allergies, but what I do not understand is why she needed this dog in the first place considering that this was a deaf computer lab in a deaf building (NTID) fully loaded with deaf alert devices.

One woman had a dog that she brought everywhere. Whenever people asked her if they could pet her dog, she would get defensive and make excuses like "No! He is a hearing assistive dog not designed for playing with or petting!" Then a few minutes later, she will spoil her dog with food from her own plate in restaurants or in the food court. Every time she met another deaf person, she would brag about how wonderful it is to have a hearing assistive dog (even to the same person). She even brought her dog with her into a grocery store (through the produce section).

I understand the need for a hearing assistive dog, but is it really necessary to bring it to a public place where it can put the life of a few others at risk? Do you need a dog to eat? Do you need a dog to shop? (Imagine the dog rubbing against all the clothes in a clothing store. Then someone who is severely allergic to dogs comes along later and tries on that outfit? Yikes!)

From the article, it sounds like they're in a higher-level school like high school. If that's the case, aren't the classes different for everyone?

Basically what I was inquiring was the line of thinking of, if the allergic student is "deathly allergic" to the dog, you can assume there's a chance they'll cross paths either in class, hallways and any of the many other common areas in the school. So I was airing my thinking things through about exactly how are those situations dealt with/handled? Does the student force the exclusion of the dog each & every time, or does the student have to always practice allergen avoidance tactics?

I hope the school has an epipin always handy and training on how to use it.

I'm going to have to think on this one a bit more... Something about this article is off...

I do have a dog, but I don't have to be in same room with my dog 24/7. If that student doesn't want to go back to school because she cannot have lunch with her dog, let her do so. She is prima donna. She doesn't need to go to school. She can get education somewhere else such as online or something.

What some are failing to acknowledge is that this is a service dog. I am not familiar with the laws in the UK, but this student clearly has a need for it given that she's deaf and blind. It's quite self righteous of some to say she needs to, "get over it" and "grow up". What if the tables were turned and someone told a person who is deaf that they can't use an interpreter because it's a distraction, and that individual needs to just "get over it" and use CART. Because afterall, CART wouldn't be a distraction.

A service dog provides a service that this girl clearly needs. No, we don't have all the info- but we know enough to know that she needs her service dog. There is a solution to every problem- the school just needs to find it.

What some are failing to acknowledge is that this is a service dog. I am not familiar with the laws in the UK, but this student clearly has a need for it given that she's deaf and blind. It's quite self righteous of some to say she needs to, "get over it" and "grow up". What if the tables were turned and someone told a person who is deaf that they can't use an interpreter because it's a distraction, and that individual needs to just "get over it" and use CART. Because afterall, CART wouldn't be a distraction.

A service dog provides a service that this girl clearly needs. No, we don't have all the info- but we know enough to know that she needs her service dog. There is a solution to every problem- the school just needs to find it.

Even if another person is severely allergic to dogs?? Causing major health issues.

Big difference between a distraction and a life threatening allergy. :roll: Guess you really do not get it.

I'm going to have to think on this one a bit more... Something about this article is off...

The individual has to have a Rx for the Epi-pen. My daughter has one on her and one in the nurses office. Schools can not give it to anyone else but her. They can not just have a epi-pen on hand to just stick anyone that has a severe reaction.

Even if another person is severely allergic to dogs?? Can causing major health issues.

Big difference between a distraction and a live threatening allergy. :roll:

Thanks for the :roll: and I really do "get it" actually.

I realize there is a big difference, and I also realize that wasn't the greatest analogy but it helps to make my point.

Really, the long and short of it is that there is a solution that would be beneficial to both students. The school needs to figure it out. Even if that means they help find another student (or staff) to go with her in the dining hall while the dog stays in another area for lunch. Obviously this girl doesn't feel secure in the dining hall without her service dog. There is no reason for her to have anxiety and panic attacks about lunch.

They need to figure out a solution that allows her to feel secure while the other student isn't put in jeapordy. It's a balancing act- and they need to get their sh*t balanced- for both students involved.

Thanks for the :roll: and I really do "get it" actually.

I realize there is a big difference, and I also realize that wasn't the greatest analogy but it helps to make my point.

Really, the long and short of it is that there is a solution that would be beneficial to both students. The school needs to figure it out. Even if that means they help find another student (or staff) to go with her in the dining hall while the dog stays in another area for lunch. Obviously this girl doesn't feel secure in the dining hall without her service dog. There is no reason for her to have anxiety and panic attacks about lunch.

They need to figure out a solution that allows her to feel secure while the other student isn't put in jeapordy. It's a balancing act- and they need to get their sh*t balanced- for both students involved.

You are welcome. Since you admitted it was not the greatest analogy. I found your post offensive and the :roll: warranted.

If the other student is truly allergic to the dog, then her needs comes before the DB girl with her dog.

Interpreters may be a distraction to others, but never heard of an interpreter harming or causing death to other people.

I agree, there is not as much information as would be required to really take a stand here. I do feel there is a mental illness at hand that needs to be addressed, regardless. It is nothing to shame, but I think the girl needs professional help and it has nothing to do with growing up. Hopefully she can get her help and all can be at peace again and with harmony.

And exactly what criteria are you using to determine that this child has a mental illness, because I whole heartedly disagree with your conclusion. And I have the qualifications to make that determination.

From the article, it sounds like they're in a higher-level school like high school. If that's the case, aren't the classes different for everyone?

If the person is allergic, he/she would still get a reaction by being anywhere the dog had been. I am having a difficult time believing that anyone is suffering an allergic reaction.

I agree.

I understand that she needs the dog, but we also have to make compromises to meet the needs of others.

Sounds like she would rather that other student die just so that she can bring the dog in the room.

I see nothing wrong with not bringing the dog into the cafeteria just to eat. It's only 30 minutes out of a whole day. The dog can stay in an assigned room during that time.

Allergies to animals are not life threatening. It is a localized reaction, not a systemic reaction that causes anaphylaxis.

If the person is allergic, he/she would still get a reaction by being anywhere the dog had been. I am having a difficult time believing that anyone is suffering an allergic reaction.

Yeah, I wonder what the statistics on severe allergic reactions to dogs are. I have heard of people being allergic to dogs, but it's never more than some sniffing, sneezing, itchy eyes and more mild symptoms whenever they are in contact with a dog.

Cats on the other hand is a different story. I have heard of people who cannot go near one without passing out.

Basically what I was inquiring was the line of thinking of, if the allergic student is "deathly allergic" to the dog, you can assume there's a chance they'll cross paths either in class, hallways and any of the many other common areas in the school. So I was airing my thinking things through about exactly how are those situations dealt with/handled? Does the student force the exclusion of the dog each & every time, or does the student have to always practice allergen avoidance tactics?

And how does the student function just walking down the street?

Like I said, allergy to a dog is not a life threatening allergy. Take an allergy pill and carry Kleenex in your pocket.

Yeah, I wonder what the statistics on severe allergic reactions to dogs are. I have heard of people being allergic to dogs, but it's never more than some sniffing, sneezing, itchy eyes and more mild symptoms whenever they are in contact with a dog.

Cats on the other hand is a different story. I have heard of people who cannot go near one without passing out.

**nodding**

The fact is, people encounter dogs frequently in daily living. Say this student was on a bus, and a blind person gets on with their assistance animal. Does this student have the right to demand that the blind person not get on the bus with the assistance dog? Of course not. Take your allergy medicine and get over yourself. The rest of the world is not under any obligation to cater to your allergies. That is your responsibility.

If the student is that allergic, they should have an epi pen on them at all times.

She may have allergies, but if it is so severe that she can not be around animals she should have her own precautions as well. Medication on hand etc. Because she will be allergic to anything or place that the dog has been since they leave dander behind.

I haven't formed an opinion about this article yet. A couple questions come to mind.

Is allergies a recognized disability? Are there protections under the ADA for people with severe allergies?

Is it healthy that a person develops such a bond with an animal that a couple hours of separation a day causes serious health or mental issues?

She may have allergies, but if it is so severe that she can not be around animals she should have her own precautions as well. Medication on hand etc. Because she will be allergic to anything or place that the dog has been since they leave dander behind.

Exactly. And school is not the only place she will encounter that situation.

I haven't formed an opinion about this article yet. A couple questions come to mind.

Is allergies a recognized disability? Are there protections under the ADA for people with severe allergies?

Is it healthy that a person develops such a bond with an animal that a couple hours of separation a day causes serious health or mental issues?

A close bond is desired for the service animal and his/her owner. They are an extension of the person. Even more important for someone who is deaf and blind. I have worked with a blind student that used a service dog. He waited years on a waiting list before ever being able to receive the service animal that made his life much simpler and more independent. I never saw him without his dog. This is a small town. I frequently saw him away from campus. Always the dog was with him. He volunteered in the local hospital gift shop. The dog was with him there, as well.

Back