Deaf worksite or hearing worksite??? MONEY TALK!!!

Another possibility: work at a job you enjoy and pays well.

Job satisfaction and good pay are not always mutually exclusive.

If my teaching job pays $20K more, then I wouldhave that...a job I enjoy with good pay.

I believe $50K and below is poverty level nowadays. I been poverty level and below most my life -- Still fed and clothed my family.

Making over 50K and being comfortable can be misleading especially here in MD. When anyone goes over the line from $49,999 to $50,000, the taxes practically double so what one earns may just bring home the same as or less than someone who earns less than $50K.

My hubby and I have been living on less than $30,000 for the last 17 years, since we married. It is not easy and we are very much in debt. We make less now that we are back in Florida and the cost of living is so high. He took a pay cut from $16.75/hr to $7.75 just to be here to help his mother. He is the only child.

I made a mistake on the salary of the teacher I mentioned in the other post I had. It's not $27,000, but $40,000. Here is the link to the article.

Palm Beach County teachers protest salary freezes wearing 'bleeding red', pleading with board member

Problem is the cost of living has been going up so fast that your buying power 17 years ago with the same money was so much better you might as well consider yourself losing wages every year.

I did not say that I am unhappy working here. I am comfortable in working with them. I only state that i rather working with deaf people where we can communicate through ASL instead of many different ways of having interpreter, writing notes, shortly speaking, body language, IM, email and go on. Indeed, I am glad they are treating me OK because they know that they can't screw up with me. ;)

It is good that you are comfortable. Where I work they will not hire Deaf workers and if they did they would make the poor Deaf person's life as miserable as possible while still claiming "helpfulness."

Another possibility: work at a job you enjoy and pays well.

Job satisfaction and good pay are not always mutually exclusive.

Sounds so easy. Actually the jobs I would enjoy the most that pay fantastic wages didn't even exist when I was a child. Today I would get into computer programing.

If my teaching job pays $20K more, then I wouldhave that...a job I enjoy with good pay.

The choice most people, hearing or Deaf, face.

I believe $50K and below is poverty level nowadays. I been poverty level and below most my life -- Still fed and clothed my family.

Making over 50K and being comfortable can be misleading especially here in MD. When anyone goes over the line from $49,999 to $50,000, the taxes practically double so what one earns may just bring home the same as or less than someone who earns less than $50K.

Now that sucks.

Problem is the cost of living has been going up so fast that your buying power 17 years ago with the same money was so much better you might as well consider yourself losing wages every year.

Well - we still today make less than $30,000 a year and that's including my SSDI and his measley paycheck, and we are going further and further into debt.

Originally Posted by shel90
"I believe $50K and below is poverty level nowadays. I been poverty level and below most my life -- Still fed and clothed my family.

Making over 50K and being comfortable can be misleading especially here in MD. When anyone goes over the line from $49,999 to $50,000, the taxes practically double so what one earns may just bring home the same as or less than someone who earns less than $50K."

That is so depressing .... Is it hard to make a living under 50k a year? Not always. The thing is the taxes eat up the check. Now that is so depressing.

Back