Deaf woman suing E Bay

More, more gun control laws are coming as you are getting more whine. *j/k* :lol:

actually... creating more gun laws is a form of whining. whining and quibbling around rather than focusing and solving.

actually... creating more gun laws is a form of whining. whining and quibbling around rather than focusing and solving.

Oh wow, thank you for entertaining me and I'm pleasured to hear your whine about guns, guns, guns. :lol:

Just messing with you.

exactly!!! problem is everywhere we turn for a product or services- we always run into a deaf wall issue. It feels like these larger companies dont seem to think we are worth the effort to change since its only one or two people complaining but in reality its more then that. . They dont seem to see the bigger picture for future profitability. shame on them.

I buy from ebay- but I dont sell for this reason. I watch caption shows from netflix, but I dont spend membership money on them as often they would like.
etc.

The deaf wall issue is always going to be there. It won't come down any time soon. It is everywhere. All we can do is take it with a grain of salt and continue to educate others diligently. Yes, it can be frustrating and it is! I can't tell you how many times I so badly wanted to wring their necks, lol.

These companies with BIG names usually don't care about putting an effort to make a change because they know other people will cover the costs of their profits. They are looking after the bigger fishes, merging big names, having a good stand with other companies that are in for the profit. They are not much into the accommodations because they look at it as a waste of their time, putting expenses in for accommodation costs and stuff like that. I know, they can afford it but they just don't want to.

More, more gun control laws are coming as you are getting more whine. *j/k* :lol:

:lol:

Actually I was glad to find out it was an old complaint, as I wondered why eBay always communicates by email, etc with me and I have never had to have a pin over phone, but has always just been sent to email.

I dont see why there couldnt be come kind of logical compromise between the two sides i mean jesus christ its not rocket science.....

I'm betting eBay will eventually add the "Send PIN code as a text message" option like other sites, but for the time being it hasn't added that feature yet. Most likely to save money.

Ebay already sending code via SMS. I am a long time Ebay member. You can choose the options. I choose either email or SMS text.

I dont remember doing any of the PIN thing on ebay, not ever. I've been selling/buying for long time like since 1999 maybe a year off.

So then this whole adventure on her part is mostly out of stubborn and a lack of figuring out her options?

So then this whole adventure on her part is mostly out of stubborn and a lack of figuring out her options?

Since someone's previous post mentions this was an old complaint, maybe eBay changed it's policy AFTER the law suit.

I find this strange, I have (and many of my deaf friends) used ebay (buy and selling) we never come across that we need to be contacted by phone. All was done by email.

I have had the same experience - all email, no phone.

This brings up this question...

As more and more services are being computerized, will there be the risk of voice activation identification to gain access to everything? That is what I am worried about so if we dont speak up, these companies will invent something like that without regarding our needs. Then, we would be back at square one.

I'm sure many of us deaf people do E Bay. That includes me. I understand that this person is frustrated, but I don't see a reason to sue E Bay.

Mo. Woman Sues eBay For ‘Deaf Discrimation’ | fox4kc.com

NEVADA, Mo. — Forty-seven-year old Melissa Earll owns dozens of old mint condition comic books, hundreds of rare baseball cards, plus antique time pieces, medecine bottles and a coin collection printed minutes after President John Kennedy was assassinated. But none of it makes her a penny on eBay.
Now, the Nevada, Mo., woman is suing eBay, saying the internet auction site discriminates against deaf people.
Earll was born deaf and says eBay makes it impossible for her to register as a seller.
eBay forces all sellers to register online and then calls applicants with a secret pin number to verify their identity. The seller emails the pin number back to the online auction site to prevent fraud.
Earll can’t hear what the pin number is over the phone because she’s deaf.
“Ebay keeps me from taking advantage of the opportunities that other people have and it’s because I couldn’t hear,” said Earll.
At issue is whether internet companies have to accommodate the disabled just like brick and mortar stores do.
A Federal Judge has already dismissed Earll’s claim saying eBay doesn’t have to comply with The American with Disabilities Act because as an internet-only company. The judge said eBay doesn’t provide a place “of public accommodation.”
Earll and her attorney, Michael Aschenbrener, say eBay could easily text Earll the pin number, use a computer password or use a speech to text phone, options used by other internet companies.
Instead, Earll complains eBay said, “can your Mom and Dad answer the phone for you? And I said I’m a 47-year old adult woman, no. I don’t live at home, no.”
In a statement to FOX 4, eBay would only say, “U.S. District Court Judge Edwad Davilla found that plaintiff’s complaint lacked facts supporting her claim and eBay is pleased with the court’s decision to dismiss her case.”
Earll said she’s prepared to appeal to the U.S. Supreme Court if necessary.
“If Netflix can be held acceptable and be told that they have to make new releases available through Closed Captioning… then Ebay should surely be held accountable to the same standards.”

I am sorry, but in the light of certain "disability" discussion I can not pass this example up -

"deaf can do everything except hear" - right?????

Fuzzy

Back