Deaf Weddings - How Should They Go?

Many of the deaf weddings I have been to, they twirled the napkins instead of tap glasses with fork/spoon. That way the bride and groom can see that people want them to kiss.

:giggle: hee hee hee - they did that at my wedding. :D

My guest and I went to attend my deaf friends' weddings. They hired a hearing (or a deaf) priest (or a preacher or a rabbi), or hired an interpreter.

You seem to be a bit reluctant to have an interpreter; yet there will be 10 deaf people there.....hmmm

I went to a wedding where they had a deaf preacher.

I also went to a wedding where the groom was a deaf Hispanic and the bride was a hearing Caucasian. Since the people at the wedding consisted of deaf friends of the bride and the group, relatives of the bride, and relatives of the groom... they had an English-speaking preacher with a Spanish-speaking interpreter on one side and a sign-language interpreter on the other side. Very interesting wedding. :)

thanks for all the replies! most likely i'm going for an interpreter. i was wondering .. where does the interpreter for the couple stand? because with a hearing wedding, the couple faces each other .. deaf people can't really do that.

I believe you CAN face each other. If you have the interpreter stand a few feet behind your husband-to-be, off to the left (closer to the pastor) it is doable. You can also situate the Deaf people on the right side of the church so they can see the interpreter also. For example,

. .Pastor
. . . . .Terp
You Hubs

Obviously, a little bit more scaled, whatever works.

When I got married my Justice of Peace was also an interpreter, and my husband is hearing. So it worked out better that way for me - but there were equal deafies and hearies at my ceremony.

PS Congrats on your upcoming wedding :)

Hello! First of all congrats on your engagement! Now to comment on your recent postings, I agree with Pinkster, I am a deaf wedding planner and if it were me I'd want to face my fiance while the interpreter is possible a little far away and behind him off to the side where I can still see what's being signed during the ceremony. So if you want to go with the tradition of facing each other, go for it! :)

First off, CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

If you wanted to, you could hire a CART provider to caption the entire wedding onto a screen. If your church has the space for it. Some modern churches have screens that they use for hymn lyrics and the like, the CART provider could use that to caption the entire wedding. That way the interpreter could concentrate on you two, the couple getting married.

if you can not find a CART provider in the area, you could call around to some Court Reporting firms and ask if they have a real time writer that may be willing to do the ceremony and reception for a fee. You should be able to negotiate the price as it will be an easier (relatively) job than a deposition or court hearing. You would be able to set it up with the reporter in advance all of the wedding guests names so that you would know who is talking.

Good Luck in your marriage and have fun on the honey moon!!!

Congratulations :) I may not have any experience in how a deaf wedding should go but I just thought of something that hopefully may be of help. Keith Wann, a CODA, does personalized ASL clips of songs. If you have a friend that wanted to learn how the song is signed for you that could be an option.
It does cost a little bit of money, I think $10 for a song. Not bad. Buy a Personalized ASL Clip
Is the link. He also has on Youtube, From This Moment On by Shania Twain, a popular song for weddings. That is free obviously. He did it for a friend's wedding.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKjakTfMko&feature=channel_page]YouTube - Keith Wann: From this Moment on - ASL version for lovers[/ame]

Hope this helps and again, congratz! :)

hi

I just became a ordained minster and i am deaf . that was one reason why became one to do deaf weddings . interpreters are good some might be your friend so you scan always ask them to sign for you and other deaf or hard of hearing people at wedding . Good luck with your wedding my god bless .

I just became a ordained minster and i am deaf . that was one reason why became one to do deaf weddings . interpreters are good some might be your friend so you scan always ask them to sign for you and other deaf or hard of hearing people at wedding . Good luck with your wedding my god bless .

This is an very old thread , it was posted in 2009 .

You are not getting married, eh? Just want to be interest in presiding the Deaf wedding ceremony in ASL. That would be great if you can do that for the d/Deaf couple or one deaf and one hearing. :)

Back